Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Dial Up Speeds

Options
  • 20-08-2006 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi Guys,
    I live in County Wexford and for yonks I have had to put up with a dial up speed of 14Kbs.Last weekend I found to my surprise that my speed had gone up to 44Kbs.! I have checked it constantly over the past week and it is still the same. I have checked with a buddy of mine who lives on the other end of the county and his dial up has gone from 28 up to 45 !
    What is happening here ? Is Eircom masssaging the system and is it only happening in Wexford or is it happening all over the country - or am I dreaming ?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

jusy checked my old dial up line and its still at 46k
    do you actually notice the change in speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Paddy Joe wrote:
    Hi Guys,
    I live in County Wexford and for yonks I have had to put up with a dial up speed of 14Kbs.Last weekend I found to my surprise that my speed had gone up to 44Kbs.! I have checked it constantly over the past week and it is still the same. I have checked with a buddy of mine who lives on the other end of the county and his dial up has gone from 28 up to 45 !
    What is happening here ? Is Eircom masssaging the system and is it only happening in Wexford or is it happening all over the country - or am I dreaming ?:confused:
    You had a pair gain taken Out I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

1huge1 wrote:
    jusy checked my old dial up line and its still at 46k
    do you actually notice the change in speed?

46 is pretty good. Unless you move about 100m away from exchange you won't get much better. A Pair gain / Line splitter limits speed to under 19k, typically 14.4 (Fax speed). When that is removed the reult *IS* dramatic!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I had a pairgain on my line a few years ago, and speeds were 28k. Indeed never higher, never lower! When I ordered ISDN, a few days before ISDN PnP box was installed, the speed rose to about 46k, meaning the DACS must have been removed in preperation for ISDN.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

My dial up is a solid 50.6 kb connection and is never lower. It pains me that with such a good dial up that I can't get BB :(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

byte wrote:
    I had a pairgain on my line a few years ago, and speeds were 28k. Indeed never higher, never lower!

I get 31.2K usually, sometimes 33.3K, lately 28.8k.

Not a lot of difference between them, still dog slow.:mad:

That's interesting about the improvements just before ISDN switchon, I heard of people placing orders for ISDN, then cancelling just before it is installed.

The improved line usually stays.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

delly wrote:
    My dial up is a solid 50.6 kb connection and is never lower. It pains me that with such a good dial up that I can't get BB :(.

Same i thaught it might be the modem so i tried 3 all the same results and i live like 4km+ from the exchange!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

ya before i had isdn it was around 32kb/s but when i got it the dial up got to around 46k course im using dual isdn 128k so this means nothing to me

Advertisement