Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Render a shotgun useless

Options
  • 20-08-2006 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

I have come into possession of my late Uncles doubled barrelled shotgun (side-by-side) my question is how/ or what is the best way to render it useless (not working). As I only want to hold onto it for sentimental reasons, and do not want a working firearm in my home…

I don’t know what make it is, the gun is still in storage where it has been for the last number of years…
    Appreciate any help you guys can give….

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

Hotwheels wrote:
    I have come into possession of my late Uncles doubled barrelled shotgun (side-by-side) my question is how/ or what is the best way to render it useless (not working). As I only want to hold onto it for sentimental reasons, and do not want a working firearm in my home…

I don’t know what make it is, the gun is still in storage where it has been for the last number of years…

It seems rather curious, that you claim to have a sentimental attachment to your late Uncles shotgun and at the same time,
    an apparent aversion to functioning firearms in your home!

I can't help wondering, would you late Uncle approve,
    of your wanting to render his shotgun useless!

I see in your sig that you are a fan of motorsports,
    would you not think it a little silly,
    if somebody wanted to hang onto their late uncles rally car,
    but wanted the engine filled with concrete because they did not want a functional rally car at their home, as they feared,
    it might spring to life and drive across somebody!

if you dont want your uncles gun,
    for the same reason I assume he owned it,to use it for shooting,
    then it might be more fitting to sell or give it to someone,
    who would use it as intended.

just my 2 cents €uro
    Dvs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 xxx jack

i have to agree with dvs especially if its an old gun it wouldnt b right to destroy it some of those old guns are working antiques made by master craftsmen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Funnily enough, because it's been a functioning firearm, even once it's deactivated, you'll still need a letter from your local super to possess it.

Deactivating is something prety much any gunsmith will undertake, generally involves making both the action and barrels unusable. Normally this involves boring a series of hoses in the chamber (generally in a place that will be covered by the forend), and welding parts of the action, normally the firing pins. If done properly it is very unobtrusive. This will destroy any value the gun may have, so make sure it's not worth a tonne beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

There really is no point to deactivate the gun, just invest in a good display case that is difficult to break into...I'm sure such a thing does exist. Also you can buy locks to cover the trigger housing and locks that are inserted into the barrel that prevents any amunition being inserted into the gun. You can also have the pins removed and this does not damage the gun. If you want to activate the gun again all you need to do is get the pins put back.

I hope I'm right with all that, its some info I've gathered over the past 3 years so it should be accurate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

How about yee answer his question instead of telling him what to do?

Buying locks for it is one way, don't know much about disabling guns.
    Take out something something that makes it work?(pins etc?)

• Advertisement

Eh, did you read my post above?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mostly I was not reffering to your post with teh critisism.
    He may not want to damage it that much. Just have it so it won't fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭fathersymes

Make sure it's not a Purdey before you destroy it!

He may not want to damage it that much. Just have it so it won't fire.

Unless it's permanently disabled it's still considered a working firearm needing a licence. For example, replacing firing pins would take about 5 minutes.

Aye, but as long as he throws them away, his kids or whatever won't be firing it etc, it will then be pretty much intact but not work. That's if he is willing to get a licence.

• Advertisement

This is the thing. It's very nearly the same hassle to get a letter of authorisation to possess a deactivated gun as it is to get a licence (if you have yer own land anyway). Conditions regarding safe storage are likely to be applied to a deact same as with a real one. If the gun was kept "live" the simple expedient of not having any ammo for it would seriously limit it's potential to do harm.

All that said, if the gun only has sentimental value (if the OP gives us the make we can give him/her a fair idea), and it's not planned to use it anyway, I see little harm in deactivating it. A gunsmith shouldn't charge much more than €50 to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Hotwheels wrote:

As the other post have said it may be of value so dont have it de-balled until u establish its value, a few pictures will do for a gun dealer to value.

Guns in houses are supposed to be locked in ametal cabinet and u also need an annual licence.

U cant really have it on display in the house as someone may see it and decide to break in to steal it so i would keep it in storage if possible and leave it usable

• Registered Users Posts: 41 garmac

The easiest way to render a shotgun inactive is apply for your first licence.
    That should have it out of comission for an eternity!!
    My first licence took six months to arrive!
    But seriously, page seven of this might be indication of what is required.
    http://www.sapolice.sa.gov.au/firearms/docs/Deativation_Requirements.pdf#search=%22shotgun%20deactivation%22

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

My nephew deactivated his shotgun very efficiently last season, he dropped it into Lough Sheelin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

macnas wrote:
    My nephew deactivated his shotgun very efficiently last season, he dropped it into Lough Sheelin.
    ooooh a 21st century version of Excalibur waiting to happen, I call shotgun!

*gets coat*

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭demonloop

civdef wrote:
    If the gun was kept "live" the simple expedient of not having any ammo for it would seriously limit it's potential to do harm.
    Thats what I would have thought - it becomes a paperweight without cartridges!

Don't deact it though, you might regret it down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

how do you go about telling the gards you lost a gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

maglite wrote:
    how do you go about telling the gards you lost a gun?

How do you lose a gun its not like your car keys, in answr to your question delicately, hope you have good rep with your FAO!!

I've heard of it happening and can be a bit of a nightmare for the loser, particularly when it's several months since they last saw it!

I wouldn't expect much luck in getting another gun licenced for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Well...... he didn't really lose it because he knows where it is...:D :D:D
    He reported it to his local station and within fortnight he was shooting with a new shotgun, same make/model substituted on his old licence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement