Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions About UCD, Need Answers Quick Please!

Options
  • 20-08-2006 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Right, I think I might be going to UCD but I'm not sure.

I have Engineering down, but it's a new course so I don't have a clue what the points will be. Last year in other colleges with similar courses the points were about 440 or so. Do you think UCD's points would be higher, lower or around the same?

Does anyone here stay on Campus? I was thinking of doing this but I have one major question and everything rely's on this: Is there high speed internet connections?

I have never had High Speed internet and having it is a must for me really.

Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of staying on Campus.

Thanks for the help in advance. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Engineering is not a new course in UCD...?

Probably referring to that new Engineering degree, Structual Engineering with Architecture I think it's called....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 TheTrooper

Nah not that one, Engineering Science. DN080....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

It all depends on the demand I'm afraid theTrooper it really could go either way! [sorry I know thats not much help to ya]

Re: Accom. try the sticky at the top of the forum for info on Campus Accom.
    also afaik [unless its been merged] theres a thread on the forum specifically 'bout Res.

G'luck hopefully you get what ya want:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

Res is based on how far you live from UCD, expect UCD points to go up across the board this year - some res has high speed wireless however it is via a proxy server and it only allows http requests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

zap wrote:
    some res has high speed wireless however it is via a proxy server and it only allows http requests.
    Nothing stopping you getting your own Ripwave (is that the one you just plug in and away you go?) there obviously either. I know some people who got away with it easily enough last year in Belgrove.

For a serious chunk of FAQs on campus accommodation, have a look at the "UCD Accommodation Thread" here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

there is no problem getting ripwave from irish broadband or the clearwire modem while in my experience the clearwire tends to be more reliable and offers faster speeds but it dosen't allow downloading P2P.

Now, I must admit, I would want internet for mostly downloading and gaming, but I hear wireless isn't great for that....

Would Ripwave or Clearwire be good for gaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

TheTrooper wrote:
    Right, I think I might be going to UCD but I'm not sure.

I have Engineering down, but it's a new course so I don't have a clue what the points will be. Last year in other colleges with similar courses the points were about 440 or so. Do you think UCD's points would be higher, lower or around the same?

Does anyone here stay on Campus? I was thinking of doing this but I have one major question and everything rely's on this: Is there high speed internet connections?

I have never had High Speed internet and having it is a must for me really.

Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of staying on Campus.

Thanks for the help in advance. ;)

I'll help you as much as possible being probably the best person here to do so! I'm going into 2nd year engineering and lived on campus last year so I know my stuff.

I'm pretty sure the course "Engineering" came about last year because about 90 out of the 220 first years did it. In the 1st semester every engineering (bar structural which was also a new one) does the same 6 subjects. In the 2nd, all of engineering do 3 of the same out of the 6 and then 1 other decided on your course (civil have to do drawing one, chems do chemical processing, elec do computer programming...), and then 2 other modules which you can either do anything with. Pure engineering have 3 choices here and if you want to do an engineering type you have to had chosen that core module like if you wanted to do Chemical you would have had to do Chemical Processing. You choose these at Christmas and in the run up to it they offer afternoon introductions to each of the specific engineerings.
    You can't choose structural though

Its a great option for someone who'd not too sure about what they want to do but the points are around 515-the highest in engineering, and a C required in honors in Maths. This isn't the handiest especially since the other engineering is pitifully low- elec and chem are both in the 300's. Having Physics and Applied Maths is also handy to have but by no means essential

I stayed on campus and believe me it was amazing and you will have an amazing year if you do both engineering and stay on campus. Everyone says engineers become really close as it is but living on campus will ensure this. Infact most of my friends who have the two don't participate in any of the clubs or socities because engineering and campus is enough for their social life. Because we have such long days, its really handy to just pop in home, grab a bite to eat and then head to the bar because the rumours are true-engineers live in the bar. We currently occupy the pool table on the far left in the student bar. Makes for a great eng day though cos once you enter you never leave. Its brilliant!

Theres only internet in Glenomena but this is only for post grads-no freshers allowed but they may get it sometime in the future. If you do get that thing that singingstranger said make sure to get it locked or you'll be giving free internet access to all. I wouldn't bother with it though as its only a short walk to anywhere with access. No matter what if you do get UCD I'd strongly advise applying for campus as its a great way to meet people when you're feeling lost

I can't think of any disadvantages-its the cheapest option, you meet lots of people, you don't have to go to the hassle of finding somewhere, they're not that strict and are pretty fair, you don't have to get up til 10 minutes before a lecture, the night bus is only €2 and goes into UCD, even when thats not an option theres always people going back to UCD.

If anyone can think of a disadvantage, I'd love to hear it. My only problem was my room mates and their freakishly clean ways

If you got any other questions either stick them up here or send me a message (having just realised what pm stands for)

Well reading through the forums I noticed that when you apply for a place on Campus, you won't be informed wheter you've got it or not until like a week before college? (a week may be an exaggeration). What if you didn't get a place, then you're screwed trying to find a place so late in the year....

• Advertisement

True but if you live far away then you can be guaranteed it. If you're in Leinster then you can kiss it goodbye unless you reapply in September for places not taken (or hold out for the new 700 places being built at the moment) If you're from anywhere with a coastline really outside Leinster then you can guarantee yourself campus. Even still somewhere like Tipp is still a very safe bet.

Would you mind saying where you're from?

Well I'll just say that I'm an hours drive away. So I can kiss campus goodbye then?

Sorry but ya. If you want campus I'd say this is your best year to apply if possible though. Either wait til early September when you can apply for any positions not taken or wait until the new Roebuck is built providing 700 new places. These shouldn't take too long as they were supposed to be done in September but were delayed a month by strike. I'd say mostly Leinster people will apply for these as anyone from say Donegal will likely already have found accomodation and have a lease. If you can stay with family or a friend for a month then I probably would

Good luck by the way tomorrow for engineering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

gubbie wrote:
    True but if you live far away then you can be guaranteed it. If you're in Leinster then you can kiss it goodbye unless you reapply in September for places not taken (or hold out for the new 700 places being built at the moment) If you're from anywhere with a coastline really outside Leinster then you can guarantee yourself campus. Even still somewhere like Tipp is still a very safe bet.

Would you mind saying where you're from?
    Not neccasarily. I'm in Leinster, but I'm 3 hours away from UCD by public transport. SO I reckon I;ve a fair chance of getting it. Leinster's a big place =)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Actually this will be the 3rd year of structural and the 3rd year general engineering has been back as an option but not really relevant since you are actually doing a completely new course.
    I started chemical engineering in 2004 had an absolute blast in first year; thanks in part to having loads of friends that live on campus. I live at home; 46A ftw :p
    Got a first in my exams but I found second year sucked monkey balls. I lost what interest I had in the course and dropped out just after Christmas.
    But I'm going back to do computer science (engineering wasn't nerdy enough) in September :D So no more stupid 9-5 days of lectures.
    UCD is a brilliant place but you really do need to enjoy what you're studying to get the whole experience ie. the whole learning thing as well as the drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

gubbie wrote:
    I'll help you as much as possible being probably the best person here to do so! I'm going into 2nd year engineering and lived on campus last year so I know my stuff.

I'm pretty sure the course "Engineering" came about last year because about 90 out of the 220 first years did it. In the 1st semester every engineering (bar structural which was also a new one) does the same 6 subjects. In the 2nd, all of engineering do 3 of the same out of the 6 and then 1 other decided on your course (civil have to do drawing one, chems do chemical processing, elec do computer programming...), and then 2 other modules which you can either do anything with. Pure engineering have 3 choices here and if you want to do an engineering type you have to had chosen that core module like if you wanted to do Chemical you would have had to do Chemical Processing. You choose these at Christmas and in the run up to it they offer afternoon introductions to each of the specific engineerings.
    You can't choose structural though

Its a great option for someone who'd not too sure about what they want to do but the points are around 515-the highest in engineering, and a C required in honors in Maths. This isn't the handiest especially since the other engineering is pitifully low- elec and chem are both in the 300's. Having Physics and Applied Maths is also handy to have but by no means essential

I stayed on campus and believe me it was amazing and you will have an amazing year if you do both engineering and stay on campus. Everyone says engineers become really close as it is but living on campus will ensure this. Infact most of my friends who have the two don't participate in any of the clubs or socities because engineering and campus is enough for their social life. Because we have such long days, its really handy to just pop in home, grab a bite to eat and then head to the bar because the rumours are true-engineers live in the bar. We currently occupy the pool table on the far left in the student bar. Makes for a great eng day though cos once you enter you never leave. Its brilliant!

Theres only internet in Glenomena but this is only for post grads-no freshers allowed but they may get it sometime in the future. If you do get that thing that singingstranger said make sure to get it locked or you'll be giving free internet access to all. I wouldn't bother with it though as its only a short walk to anywhere with access. No matter what if you do get UCD I'd strongly advise applying for campus as its a great way to meet people when you're feeling lost

I can't think of any disadvantages-its the cheapest option, you meet lots of people, you don't have to go to the hassle of finding somewhere, they're not that strict and are pretty fair, you don't have to get up til 10 minutes before a lecture, the night bus is only €2 and goes into UCD, even when thats not an option theres always people going back to UCD.

If anyone can think of a disadvantage, I'd love to hear it. My only problem was my room mates and their freakishly clean ways

If you got any other questions either stick them up here or send me a message (having just realised what pm stands for)
    You're thinking of Undenominated Engineering (495 last year), the op is doing a new course Engineering Science.
    Is it a BEng or a BSci?
    As far as I know accomodation is full already for this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

gubbie wrote:
    These shouldn't take too long as they were supposed to be done in September but were delayed a month by strike. I'd say mostly Leinster people will apply for these as anyone from say Donegal will likely already have found accomodation and have a lease.

Roebuck will be opening on Sept 5th for third years as i have a spot - they're just finished enought spots for those who've applied for them. I think some first years will also get in as far as I could make out from those I was talking to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

bit of an aside, but most non-permanent installation wireless broadband services in the UCD area are absolutely horrible, they are as near as useless as you can get.

Advertisement