Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

CAO Countdown

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

i got my arts place:) i cant seem to find any of tcd's tsm points. an help?:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

When exactly do vacant places go up on the site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

already up there if im not mistaken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

Raphael wrote:
    ...oh. That explains why I was having trouble.
    I'm not too sure what i'm doing! Help! See where it says "Student/Personnel Number", is that where we put in the CAO number?? Coz it's still not working!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Smurphette

got my first choice, at least according to the general points list. i think us leaving erts have broken the internet :P :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

If a course is marked 475* (the * meaning - Not all on this points score were offered places), is there any chance of an offer later on for someone on 470?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

Archimedes wrote:
    If a course is marked 475* (the * meaning - Not all on this points score were offered places), is there any chance of an offer later on for someone on 470?

Possibly, depending on how many accept their places there. But there's no way of telling for sure til the second round offers come out.

For all those having trouble accessing the CAO website, try www.rte.ie/cao Thats how I had to check mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

marie_85 wrote:
    Possibly, depending on how many accept their places there. But there's no way of telling for sure til the second round offers come out.

For all those having trouble accessing the CAO website, try www.rte.ie/cao Thats how I had to check mine.

Just wondering, for what reasons might somebody reject an offer? Surely, youd accept what you can get, just in case a higher offer doesnt come in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mernagh

From people accepting their other offer. I need the points to drop by 25 in DKIT in the second round. Come on people accepting degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Smurphette

christ my course jumped 60 points. thank god my points jumped 95 from my pre! lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

do i accept now? i just exited the window when i saw my offers - no surprise so i juse extd!is that ok:?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

To accept the offer you have to type in your CAO number, date of birth, and the course code.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 disco--dave

when do 2nd round offers come out???

when do 2nd round offers come out???

1st September I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭megs_88

I got BIS... *shock*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

is the UCD accom site working for everyone??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Nailed it like a mother****er with a hammer!
    Arts here I come..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 London2005

hey guys, i have 600 points, im in for history and english at tcd woohoo, im just wondering now about the accomdation thing,

1. whats the website?
    2. is it done on a first come first serve basis, i.e shall i do it now, or can i get some sleep and do it later today

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Stupid piece of crap website being all none responsive!!!!!!!!!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

London2005 wrote:
    hey guys, i have 600 points, im in for history and english at tcd woohoo, im just wondering now about the accomdation thing,

1. whats the website?
    2. is it done on a first come first serve basis, i.e shall i do it now, or can i get some sleep and do it later today

thanks
    does "i have 600 points" have any relevance here, or have u just not getting fed up of boasting about that since last wednesday?

• Advertisement

Oh Dear Jaysus.... The ONE morning I need the piece of paper with my cao number, I feckin lose it :mad::mad:

Gonna try ringing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

Stupid piece of crap website being all none responsive!!!!!!!!!!1

ditto...!

in fairness our internet homepage is RTE, and in the top corner they have http://www.rte.ie/cao/ so i found out pretty instantly there that theh points had stayed the same for me..

but now im trying to log in to cao.ie and its not working, BAH!

Rockerette wrote:
    ditto...!

in fairness our internet homepage is RTE, and in the top corner they have http://www.rte.ie/cao/ so i found out pretty instantly there that theh points had stayed the same for me..

but now im trying to log in to cao.ie and its not working, BAH!

I think I found my number, but now I have to wait for the site to let me in!!

Could it BE any more irritating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 grahamo100

"Just wondering, for what reasons might somebody reject an offer? Surely, youd accept what you can get, just in case a higher offer doesnt come in?"
    Archimedes

It's a question I often asked, myself. And the answer is pretty logical, and points to a somewhat unfair aspect of the CAO points system.

The answer lies in the fact that not only Irish students, but students from Northern Ireland apply. Colleges such as Trinity and UCD assign the A level grades the following points:

A - 150
    B - 130

A student generally does 4 A level exams if they are considering a top course: So if they achieve 4 A grades, they technically have 600 points for the CAO system: What we must bear in mind is that there is no A1 or A* in the A level, only 80% in an exam secures the top "A" grade, and 30% of the students in each particular subject. - It is as such much more difficult to achieve 600 points for Irish students (about 5% achieve A1's(90% or above)) -

After reading the above, it should not be surprising that only 0.3% of Irish students achieve 600 points, whereas roughly 5-10%(explicit figures aren't available) achieve 4 A's at A-Level.(so 4 A's is comparable to around 500 points to 600 points (depending on whether or not the student "aced" them, or "scraped" them, and in the same way that 600 points in the Irish system is equivalent to 6 A1's-9A's, and that you are just given the 600) Either way they are given 600 points.

There is a cap however, on the number of places they are allowed in UCD, and TCD, and given that TCD is protestant it ostensibly has a propensity to allow more A-level applicants - it is at their discretion how many they choose, and this is the reason why TCD medicine is 590*(as well as the fact that it is a guaranteed 5 year, and not a 6 year course).

So since there is a cap, and so many Northern Irish applicants apply with 600 points(4 A's), they are pretty much put into random selection. Unlucky or lucky for them, depending who you are, i suppose.

Anyway, the point is that many Northern Irish students who apply also apply to Colleges in England, and often Queens in Northern Ireland. If they are given offers to these colleges they are likely to accept these, and decline places in UCD or UCG medicine - for them, and it seems pretty ridiculous to us, they are a fallback! - due to the ease at which they can get the 600 or 580 that is required.

So it would often be Irish people applying to UCAS in the UK AND the CAO in Ireland, and choosing to go to the UK, and to not accept their place in Ireland.(consider if you were to go to the UK, you would probably apply to the CAO to give you the option). But more importantly that latent reason that many Northern Irish people apply, and many of them do not accept their offers.

I threw that together so there could be a few things missing/wrong - but I think people will find that pretty interesting, and hope it answers your question

this damn site is a joke!

just to check what i need, my cao number, what else?
    i cant even get close.. i get to the front page, click enter, and it collapses..

i just got my offer in the post..!

i thoguth they werent supposed to come til tomorrow?
    mad..

so it proves that old fashioned methods are more reliable... feckin internet.. what a joke ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aidonin

Do you get offered both level 8's and 6/7's at the same time?

Rockerette wrote:
    i just got my offer in the post..!

i thoguth they werent supposed to come til tomorrow?
    mad..

so it proves that old fashioned methods are more reliable... feckin internet.. what a joke ;)

You live in Drogheda right? Maybe I'll get mine in the post too!!

*shakes fist at stupid website*

Could an Irish person try getting into college hear with A levels?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

God dammit, I hate the CAO website...

its unresponsive!!

Advertisement