Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about losing connection

• 20-08-2006 6:37pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This has been bugging me for a while. Every now and again my connection dies and the problem can be fixed by disabling my local area connection and re-enabling it. I have always been mystified as to why this happens. Anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Do you have filters in place?
    What sort of connection - LAN side (WiFi, Ethernet)?
    What sort of connection & provider?
    What router?
    What clients?
    Using DHCP?
    What OS?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Not sure what you mean by filters.
    I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router linked to the classic netopia modem (in bridge mode) with Eircom. Previous to that I had a netgear router and this problem has occurred with the Netopia on it's own, the netgear on it's own and now with the Linksys which is why I didn't go into much detail on the hardware beyond the PC because it's seems like a Windows problem to me.
    It's Windows XP using the built in Network connection on my ATI crossfire motherboard.
    As I say it seems like Windows XP loses the connection intermittently which can be fixed with a reboot or a dis/re-enabling of the Local Area Connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭vigos

I had this problem also when using the Zyxel model that BT supplied me with. BT tried to convince me that it was my ethernet card was the problem, but yet I can use my laptop at work and have no connection problems.

anyway I change my adsl modem to a netgear adsl model/wireless router and haven't had these problems since.

But you need to answer the questions in Karoma's post to get to the bottom of it. can you still ping the router or do you lose all connectivity?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Has this by any chance been happening since the speeds were upgraded earlier in the year? It may be that you line is not capable of the increased speeds and this often results in disconnects.

Have a read of this article if you think it could be your line:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

Advertisement