Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blank Cheque Bertie in for Moriarty criticism

Options
  • 20-08-2006 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭

Well the leading story in the Indo today suggests the Moriarty tribunal are set to criticise Bertie over his time as Minister for Justice during the Haughey reign where he signed blank cheques, one of which resulted in funds ending up in an offshore account for the personal use of Charlie Haughey.

The article goes on to say that Berte isn't too concerned about the findings of the tribunal, however opposition parties will try to use it to their gain.

It does seem hard to believe that Bertie would sign blank cheques and not have any idea where the money was going.

I'm sure this story will run for a while once the report is made public.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

not exactly news though. its been long known that when bertie was treasuer for FF he signd not just blank cheques but an entire BOOK of blank cheques.it came up around the same time harney put her size nines in her mouth and got haughy off the hook. doesnt really say much of his ethic when it comes to party money does it?honestly the idea aherns whiter than white is a joke, he just coverd his arse better than the rest of em. why do you think charlie called him "..the most devious of them all"

the real question should be why cant we investigate these issues in a timely manner (though i have a feeling we all know the answer :rolleyes: )

Bertie Ahern is not subject to friction

is a taoiseach really teflon coated when no one tries to scratch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Can I scratch him to find out?

/me throws away nail clippers

Next month good for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

While I do strongly object to Bertie saying that signing blank cheques wasn't 'a big issue' he was a junior minister at the time and The Boss was in charge.

If Charlie Haughey told him to sign blank cheques and give them to him it would have been political suicide for him to refuse. Anyway, Charlie would just have had someone else do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭New_Departure06

No matter how much mud people have attempted to throw at Bertie personally in terms of corruption allegations e.g. the guy claiming he gave Bertie cash in a carpark before Bertie successfully sued him for libel, it has never managed to stick. Even if what Moriarty is alleged to be planning to say on the blank cheque issue is true, it does not prove corruption on Bertie's part. I don't consider Bertie to be corrupt.

yes, its amazing what fear can do :D

Advertisement