Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FS-banned but no pms? ("self-moved")

Options
  • 20-08-2006 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Been banned from adverts.ie for 3 months & fair enough, but this morning I can't access my pms & only get a Vbulletin msg about the ban at the /private.htm URL. Tried log-in/log-out, through CP, cut/paste in new window, and refreshs, to no avail. Is this an issue with my browser (IE6), or as a result of ban or... :confused:

Anticipated apologies for the double thread (already in Feedback), but as pointed out by a poster this here sub-forum may be more appropriate.

ecksor has ack'ed the query in Feedback, the 'adverts' ban-dispensing Mod was Lemming.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

You say you got a pm after you were banned but now you don't get pms?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Hi Gordon

Yes. I got the ban last week or two weeks ago, I believe. I discussed the matter (courteously) with Lemming (appealed the sentence, considering the facts :rolleyes:) but that was that, so fair dues and all that.

Subsequently, my pms were working right up until yesterday morning and further to logging on (same this morning), (i) I can't access my pms and (ii) the little window on top right of page (welcome ambro25, you last visited etc...) does not show pm count either.

I can only deduce that I have been pm-banned as well sometime Friday night or Saturday.

Now, as stated in my Feedback Forum identi-thread, I don't know if it is due to the following, but the strong likelihood is that it is: (i) I have received a pm last Thursday (I think - definitely last week and definitely after the ban) about a 20 year old Mac SE1/40 which I'd put in the Free Stuff section before the ban (trying to give the thing a second home/new life to make room, instead of dumping the thing in a landfill) and (ii) I did reply (innocently) to the said pm asking the interested party if/when they wanted to collect it. That was last Thursday or Friday.

I state innocently as I understand (and take) the ban to mean no looking at adverts.ie and no buying or selling, but since (i) no financial consideration is involved, (ii) it isn't really 'off-thread dealing' as I'm giving the stuff away (note to self/FS Mods: what about off-thread pms for Free Stuff, btw?) and (iii) that ad had been live and unanswered for weeks, I really did not see any harm in replying to the pm :(

Bump, as I got a new email notification about the Mac Free Stuff thread

Would someone be kind enough to pm the poster(s), to the effect that I can't contact them for the time being, please?

EDIT 1pm
    May I respectfully request a simple reply: do I have a tech problem or am I now pm-banned as well?

If I am now pm-banned as well, may I know who did the deed so that I may ask for reconsideration?

And in continued denial of access to pm mechanism, how do I do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Sounds more like a mishap than a deliberate action (we don't do "PM banning", except that sitebans entail loss of access to PMs, and since this is in helpdesk rather than Prison you're clearly not sitebanned).

Thanks Talliesin. Problem still there this morning, and my user CP is all over the place as well, if I click on almost anything in there (e.g pms, unsubscribe thread, etc.) then I get a -

vBulletin Message
    You have been banned for the following reason:
    (my edit)
    Date the ban will be lifted: 08-11-2006, 22:00

message. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

Your PMs have been reenabled.

Thank you very much. :)

Advertisement