Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Indemnity Insurance

Options
  • 20-08-2006 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know 'roughly' how much it costs for Personal Indemnity Insurance. My friend is a qualified electrical/mechanical engineer and wants to set up on his own. Does it depend on how much cover you need or is there a set policy so to speak that is required.

I appreciate that every circumstance is different but even if someone in the same scenario could post even a rough figure would be great!

EDIT: Does he still need PI insurance if he operates as a sole trader?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭PRman

Hi, a mate of mine is an IT contractor and he got it for around 600. It costs 500-1000 depending on the circumstances of the contractor. If he wants someone to look after all his company, bookkeeping tax, etc try www.companybureau.ie. I'll find out the name of the insurance crowd if you want me to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

He doesn't do much as an IT Contractor if it's only €500. That sounds like Public Liability.

It depends on the level of cover required and the experience and bind contracts between him and the customer and suppliers. As a guide our PI cover for €6.35M (per project) costs €5k pa. We work in IT and have ISO certifications in 9001 and 27001 this helps reduce our PI costs.

If he's a Sole Trader then, yes, he should have PI unless, if he's sued, he doesn't mind losing everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭PRman

Yeah, your right Jay the PI wasn't included in that. It depends on your turnover, how much your insured for, etc. but you talking 2k+ at least. sorry for the confusion

Advertisement