Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Yeats, Galway

• 20-08-2006 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hello everybody,

I would be grateful if someone could help me. I have just done the leaving and want to repeat(not because I did bad,I just want to get around 565 ). If anyone has gone or is going to Yeats could you tell me is it as good as I have heard?

Does Yeats do either or both of ag. sc. or phys/chem?
    Do you have any free time or is it all totally intensive study?

If you can give me any additional info I would be very grateful.Thanks alot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

Welcome to Boards.

I know alot of people who went and thought it was brilliant. I'm not sure how much it costs but you have to ask yourself is it worth it???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Armani-style

To be honest with you,I don't care how much it costs as long as I get into a good course. It will pay off in the long term. I'm good at learning things by myself,but having the added help of some top teachers,and being around others who are really interested would make a difference,don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Rob30888

It's fairly study intensive, 9 to 9 and then 9 to 10 after Easter. It's about 9 to 1 on a Saturday.

This is only a second hand account, so I'm not totally certain on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭R0C0

I know 2 people who did their exams there this year! Its basically just a different way of learning, as opposed to learning 'how' and 'why' you are just given answers and made learn them off word for word! 1 of the people I know who got her results from there the other day did very well, but over all Yeats had fairly average results and were outdone by a lot of 'regular' schools!
    Its about €5k for the year too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

R0C0 wrote:
    I know 2 people who did their exams there this year! Its basically just a different way of learning, as opposed to learning 'how' and 'why' you are just given answers and made learn them off word for word! 1 of the people I know who got her results from there the other day did very well, but over all Yeats had fairly average results and were outdone by a lot of 'regular' schools!
    Ha! I doubt they were undone by my school (The Bish). Armani-style I'm heading there in september. All the repeats I knew who went there last year did really well. If you're going gimme a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

R0C0 wrote:
    but over all Yeats had fairly average results and were outdone by a lot of 'regular' schools!

I've not gone there myself, but from what I hear from those who did go there, their results did not really reflect the kinda image people have of Yeats - i.e they got average results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Armani-style

Well....I was reading the paper a few days ago and it seems that they got 6 600's...um, I'm not sure, but I call this slightly higher than average,dont'cha think? Especially considering the size of the place,it's not that big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭R0C0

Well....I was reading the paper a few days ago and it seems that they got 6 600's...um, I'm not sure, but I call this slightly higher than average,dont'cha think? Especially considering the size of the place,it's not that big.

I think you may be wrong.. I'm not 100% though tbh, but from the people I've spoken to about it I certainly haven't heard that!

IMO the place is only good if you really don't want to repeat in your own school.. other than that, I feel, it represents an immature attitude towards education if you have to pay somebody that kind of money to force you to do the work, tis good for people with little initiative I suppose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

'Tis meant to be good oul' craic. Terry is also meant to be a bit strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

That has more to do with the students than the school - my school is a normal school with 100 in a year and we generally get at least one person with 590 or 600 points every year. The year before I did my leaving 3 girls got 600.

I wouldn't base your decision just on how many people in the school got 600 points.

Talk to your parents - have you already spent 6 years in your current school? If so as far as I know you will have to change schools, if not I know a lot of people who've repeated in teh schools they went to, and the teachers knew them so well that they were able to tailor the teaching more to them and work on there weaker aspects.

That said I've also known people who went to Bruce Hewitt in Cork from my school adn the lads school and done far better - so really you need to think long and hard about it.

And btw you dont need 565 to get into a good course - they're are lots of great courses requiring far less points than that - you just want a course that has that has a large points requirement.

• Advertisement

It's E5,700 :eek:

To be honest.Yeats does not really have any better teachers than other school.The only thing that is good about it is that it forces you to study.If you are intelligent but lazy.It would be a great help.

Oh yeah.Alll the people doing the leaving cert in Galway city.Stay out of our fcuking library and reading rooms.:mad:

To be honest.Yeats does not really have any better teachers than other school.The only thing that is good about it is that it forces you to study.If you are intelligent but lazy.It would be a great help.

Oh yeah.Alll the people doing the leaving cert in Galway city.Stay out of our fcuking library and reading rooms.:mad:
    no.

You really should!You do know the leaving cert is a piece of piss compared to college exams especially honours maths and physics.The sooner they put security on the reading room,the better.

Anyone else going to yeats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

I might. Got an interview on Wednesday.

Hmmm, i wonder who interviews who?

Advertisement