Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woohoo, Limerick is still 3rd richest place in Ireland

• 20-08-2006 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭

In last weeks Examiner, Limerick was slightly ahead of Cork as Ireland's third richest area, behind Dublin and Kildare. So, how does it feel to be rich? Pretty damn good imo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

It something we don't hear to often, funnily enough.:)

Actually to cause a stirr, when I first seen the thread... I thought it was "Limerick still the third largest city"... you' d be hit with a truck for saying this in the Galway thread.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Screw them, we can buy and sell their sorry asses. I'm taking loaded, mega loaded here.

Here's the article.

Dublin, Cork, Limerick lead league for big spenders

By Seán McCárthaigh
    IF YOU want a good income and high-spending lifestyle, move to the greater Dublin area, Limerick or Cork.

However, if you are less concerned by the pursuit of wealth, you might wish to decamp to Donegal or Kerry.

That is the overriding message from a new breakdown of total earnings and disposable income on a county by county basis for 2003 — the latest year for which figures are available.

Data from the Central Statistics Office shows that average earnings for people living in traditionally poorer counties in the border, midland and western regions still lag behind those of their city cousins.

It also reveals that the national average income in 2003 was €22,553, while an individual’s annual spending money was €18,610.

The CSO research shows that people living in Dublin enjoy the top salaries and highest levels of disposable income anywhere in the Republic.

Disposable income is calculated as total income less deductions for tax and social insurance contributions.

Average income among the capital’s citizens is €25,848, while their annual spending money is also the country’s highest at €21,082. It means Dubliners enjoy income levels 14.6% above the national average.

Only three other counties — Kildare, Limerick and Cork — have income levels above the average across the State.

However, Leesiders drop out of this elite group when it comes to disposable income.

In contrast, Donegal emerged as the poorest county in Ireland where the average income among the local population is just €18,555 — almost €4,000 less than the national average and €7,300 behind that of people in Dublin.

Donegal is also the only county where people have a disposable income of less than €16,000 per annum.

The county’s position at the bottom of the earnings league should come as no real surprise as Donegal has suffered a series of major job losses in recent years.

On a more positive note, the gap between the country’s wealthiest and poorest regions is narrowing. The difference in disposable income between the two was just under 11% in 2003 compared to 12.2% a year earlier.

However, the CSO has warned that its figures should be interpreted with some caution as being an accurate guide for actual incomes. For example, many of the income figures are relative as recent studies have shown many basic goods and services are more expensive in Dublin.

The CSO figures also reveal that both actual and disposable income has almost doubled in the period 1995-2003. In 1995, average gross earnings were €11,344 compared to €22,553 in 2003.

Statistics also show that the southern and eastern regions are the country’s economic powerhouse. The value of goods and services produced in these regions rose by 67% between 1998 and 2003. Gross Value Added figures in the border, midlands and west rose by 56% over the same period.
    Click here for irishexaminer.com stories before this date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Any of ye rich Limerick people want to pay my credit card bill.

Too busy buying and selling Galway I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Too busy buying and selling Galway I'm afraid.

Zing!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40 con89

(Just an opinion from what I've seen/heard/read in my 30+ years)
    The richest (poshest) areas of Ireland (Republic) are generally as follows;
    1.Monaleen (Limerick)
    2.Castletroy (Limerick)
    3.Foxrock (Dublin)
    4.Dalkey (Dublin)
    5.Killiney (Dublin)
    6.Dooradoyle (Limerick)
    7.Blackrock (Dublin)
    8.Ashbrook (Limerick)
    9.Clonmacken (Limerick)
    10. Monkstown (Cork)
    11.Kinsale (Cork)
    12.Terenure (Dublin)
    13.Clontarf (Dublin)
    14. Mungret (Limerick)
    15. Adare (Limerick)
    16.Coonagh (Limerick)
    17.Castleknock (Dublin)
    18. Montenotte (Cork)
    19.Dún Laoighaire (Dublin)
    20.Salthill (Galway)
    21.Passage West (Cork)
    22.Blackrock (Cork)
    23.Monkstown (Dublin)
    24.Mount Merrion (Dublin)
    25.Maynooth (Kildare)
    26.Ballsbridge (Dublin)
    27.Greystones (Wicklow)
    28.Clonakilty (Cork)
    29.Ranelagh (Dublin)
    30.Malahide (Dublin)
    31.Marino (Dublin)
    32.Stillorgan (Dublin)
    33.Lisnagry (Limerick)
    34.Bandon (Cork)
    35.Raheen (Limerick)
    36.Clonskeagh (Dublin)
    37.Caherdavin (Limerick)
    38.Douglas (Cork)
    39.Kildare (Kildare)
    40.Kilkee (Clare)
    41.Glounthaune (Cork)
    42.Rathfarnham (Dublin)
    43.Whitegate (Cork)
    44.Leixlip (Kildare)
    45.Schull (Cork)
    46.Clarina (Limerick)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,277 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Wow, 2006 is so long ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Zombie thread so closing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement