Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cars parked on cycle lane

Options
  • 20-08-2006 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

What’s the deal with this, surely its illegal and a fineable offence? Where I live there's a bicycle lane that runs alongside the footpath on both sides of the road. The people who live in the houses along the cycle lane see it as a place to park their cars, day and night. I don’t mean semi protruding either, but parked right on the lane so anyone using it has to cycle on the footpath or road to get by.

Not that I cycle much but the last time I went by I counted 4 cars parked on the lane, in the space of 600metres. This must be going on since the lane opened 6 or 7 years ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've noticed this behaviour myself. I'd imagine that it is an offence although I've never looked into it. Like a lot of offences in this country - it's down to enforcement.

Maybe this is a task for the forthcoming Garda Reserves:D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

**** the lot of them.

And yeah it is an offence. Unfortunately as with everything, it's poorly enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Nephew wrote:
    What’s the deal with this, surely its illegal and a fineable offence? Where I live there's a bicycle lane that runs alongside the footpath on both sides of the road. The people who live in the houses along the cycle lane see it as a place to park their cars, day and night. I don’t mean semi protruding either, but parked right on the lane so anyone using it has to cycle on the footpath or road to get by.

Not that I cycle much but the last time I went by I counted 4 cars parked on the lane, in the space of 600metres. This must be going on since the lane opened 6 or 7 years ago.

Opposite Ashfield College?
    Nightmare.
    That whole strecth is a joke as a cycle lane - punters walking on it, parking on it, waiting at the bus stop, buyt standing on it whilke they do so.
    Crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is it possible that the cycle lane operates for certain hours only? They are not all 24 hours. The times are usually posted (just like bus lanes).

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

I used to cycle along by Islandbridge, in a long cycle lane, about 2 miles long. Very often I'd have to cycle on the road as there'd be a lot of cars in the cycle lane outside the Garda boat club. :rolleyes:
    Better to cycle on the road there coz there'd be loads of broken glass that was never swept.

• Advertisement

I believe this one is 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Yes, drives me mad and can actually be very dangerous.

This one car does my head in opposite ashfield college in Templeogue. It's LHD, and Polish, I think.

I'm gonna start ringing the Gardai, I think, because that's the most dangerous stretch of road to be forced out onto.

Advertisement