Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switching DSL Providers

• 20-08-2006 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Hi peeps,

I've cancelled my connection with Digiweb and have a cancellation number. I'd like to switch to UTV, and am just wondering how long it takes to be up and running from people's own experiences? They say the usual 10 days, but you never know...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Any update? Sent the request in yesterday..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

if you cancelled its a new setup so 10 days

you could have 'transferred' instead

Well, seeing Ireland's amazing reputation when it comes to organisations, they cancelled a month before they should have...

Plus, a guy at UTV advised me not to, because it would probably take longer in the end..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

what's the best way of transferring between 2 dsl providers it as a matter of interest? sign up with the other lot, then whenever you get an email telling you you're up and running, cancel the old crowd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭probe

Well, seeing Ireland's amazing reputation when it comes to organisations, they cancelled a month before they should have...

Plus, a guy at UTV advised me not to, because it would probably take longer in the end..
    Sounds like when one is ordering a Dell computer on their website. You call their number is Bray for clarification on some vaguely described issue on the website, and you end up talking to a pushy salesman in Mumbai or similar and he warns you not to order online or it will delay delivery of your PC by several weeks! "My name is xyz..ishi, call me on this 087nnn nnnn number" (which turn out to be a British phone number chargeable at premium rates). And Dell is trying to sell me something!

No wonder Dell is going down the tubes.
    No wonder the Irish telecommunications industry is going down the tubes.

They are both screwing their customers with inconvenience, needless complexity, not understanding their expectations, and delivering a less than satisfactory product.

probe

• Advertisement

That's why I'm going to try to get out of country shortly enough!

Well, it's been 7 days and no advancements yet.. I've received my direct debit confirmation letter though. I love the way they go for the money before offering any service :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

what's the best way of transferring between 2 dsl providers it as a matter of interest? sign up with the other lot, then whenever you get an email telling you you're up and running, cancel the old crowd?

If you cancel you could end up like me - without BB for a month. Transfer is the way to go. AFAIR you sign a form for your new provider. They will make a request to take over the ADSL and away you go. Then the two BB providers sort it out between them :rolleyes: . IMHO 10 days is merely an SLA thing (something to aspire to) and a way of convincing new customers that they are a reputable company.

Well, my DSL with Digiweb was cancelled on the 02/08 and the DSL signal was totally gone. Then I ordered UTV on the 21/08, and am awaiting the Eircom DSL signal to come back again.

I had a look at my records, and the Digiweb account took exactly 10 days to activate. Although, I remember that the Eircom DSL signal was one for a few days before that (i.e my router could connect to the switchboard at Eircom, but not at Digiweb).

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭fixxation

I've switched about 3 times since DSL has been around in Dublin, and everytime has been a headache with BT or eircom... the fastest out of the 3 occasions was just a little over 8 weeks. I'll need to switch again when moving house in a few weeks and I'm definitely not looking forward to it again... it would be a miracle to see it happen in 10 days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

probe wrote:
    Sounds like when one is ordering a Dell computer on their website. You call their number is Bray for clarification on some vaguely described issue on the website, and you end up talking to a pushy salesman in Mumbai or similar and he warns you not to order online or it will delay delivery of your PC by several weeks! "My name is xyz..ishi, call me on this 087nnn nnnn number" (which turn out to be a British phone number chargeable at premium rates). And Dell is trying to sell me something!

No wonder Dell is going down the tubes.
    No wonder the Irish telecommunications industry is going down the tubes.

They are both screwing their customers with inconvenience, needless complexity, not understanding their expectations, and delivering a less than satisfactory product.

probe

I can empathise with you. I worked in an outsourced broadband sales department. Occasionally we'd hit someone on the dialler who had already ordered it straight from the provider. The in-house team would never, ever tell them about the discounts even though they new about them. Then we'd do a re-scheduling for them. I don't know how many people weren't lucky enough though.

fixxation wrote:
    I've switched about 3 times since DSL has been around in Dublin, and everytime has been a headache with BT or eircom... the fastest out of the 3 occasions was just a little over 8 weeks. I'll need to switch again when moving house in a few weeks and I'm definitely not looking forward to it again... it would be a miracle to see it happen in 10 days!

Well, it's practically like setting up a new connection because the Digiweb connection has been disabled for 3 weeks before hand... I thought that fact that DSL was enabled on the line already would speed up the connection process :confused:

Well, it seems that the knobs at Digiweb gave me the wrong cancellation number, so I have to wait a whole new 10 days (max according to UTV) to get this bloody connection.

What a complete farce, in Germany you can actually specify the exact date you want broadband enabled! What a complete set of morons over here..

Advertisement