Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pete Doherty - Moron

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Jaysus..... this thread is old. He is indeed still a moron though.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭tamburlaine

Crea wrote:
    This guy is famous for 2 things:
    1. Dating Kate Moss
    2. Being on drugs

If it weren't for 1. the majority of the country would never have heard of him.
    If it weren't for 2. he would hardly be in the papers.

I don't care how many musicians were drug takers, this particular guy is not talented enough to warrent the amount of press coverage he gets.

What absolute twaddle. But I suppose the majority of the country are still loving Bono and "de Killers" and Robbie Williams and following the aimless herd to such mass events decked out in Kilkenny and Offaly jerseys and flags. Fair enough, no need to get snobbish but there's an element of close-mindedness to it. That's probably why the majority as you put it would never have heard of him. But realistically, that's untrue. They are popular. Always a sell out, Babyshambles. The thing you miss about Doherty is his ability to craft a tune, delving into a romantic genre of London in the 60s and 70s and conveying this sentiment quite akin to the Kinks. His abrasive approach stems from influences from the Clash and the Stooges. These influences coupled with his lyrical, poetic ability makes for great listening. It's his Byronic ideal that gets on most people's nerves..the idealised but flawed character thing..mistaking opiates as a something the romantics dealt in..silly. He takes this way too far in my opinion, to his own detriment. But that's something I don't dwell on. Musically he's not put a foot wrong. Their gigs are incendiary and his magneticness on stage is quite amazing. I'm glad their appeal hasn't extended to the lumpen mass solely due to the unthinking, uninformed morons who chose to buy a tabloid, scan over it, and form idiotic opinions on what is clearly a talented musician. I feel his musicianship must be qualified, not the circus that is his personal life.

Crea wrote:
    This guy is famous for 2 things:
    1. Dating Kate Moss
    2. Being on drugs

If it weren't for 1. the majority of the country would never have heard of him.
    If it weren't for 2. he would hardly be in the papers.

I don't care how many musicians were drug takers, this particular guy is not talented enough to warrent the amount of press coverage he gets.

What absolute twaddle. But I suppose the majority of the country are still loving Bono and "de Killers" and Robbie Williams and following the aimless herd to such mass events decked out in Kilkenny and Offaly jerseys and flags. Fair enough, no need to get snobbish but there's an element of close-mindedness to it. That's probably why the majority as you put it would never have heard of him. But realistically, that's untrue. They are popular. Always a sell out, Babyshambles. The thing you miss about Doherty is his ability to craft a tune, delving into a romantic genre of London in the 60s and 70s and conveying this sentiment quite akin to the Kinks. His abrasive approach stems from influences from the Clash and the Stooges. These influences coupled with his lyrical, poetic ability makes for great listening. It's his Byronic ideal that gets on most people's nerves..the idealised but flawed character thing..mistaking opiates as a something the romantics dealt in..silly. He takes this way too far in my opinion, to his own detriment. But that's something I don't dwell on. Musically he's not put a foot wrong. Their gigs are incendiary and his magneticness on stage is quite amazing. I'm glad their appeal hasn't extended to the lumpen mass solely due to the unthinking, uninformed morons who chose to buy a tabloid, scan over it, and form idiotic opinions on what is clearly a talented musician. I feel his musicianship must be qualified, not the circus that is his personal life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

"Byronic ideal" - Christ almighty!
    I think I feel a poem coming on.

I've heard their music, i've seen coverage of them on stage and based on this alone and not his personal life, i'm not that impressed. They may be influenced by excellent bands but certainly are not up to their standards. I still stand by my guns - if it weren't for his personal life most people would never have heard of them.

"Fair enough, no need to get snobbish but there's an element of close-mindedness to it" you say but then say "I'm glad their appeal hasn't extended to the lumpen mass solely due to the unthinking, uninformed morons who chose to buy a tabloid, scan over it, and form idiotic opinions on what is clearly a talented musician" Who's the music snob here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

But I suppose the majority of the country are still loving Bono and "de Killers" and Robbie Williams and following the aimless herd to such mass events decked out in Kilkenny and Offaly jerseys and flags. Fair enough, no need to get snobbish but there's an element of close-mindedness to it.

hmm,i'd say generalising Kilkenny and Offaly people like that is a little, no wait alot, close-minded.
    It's his Byronic ideal that gets on most people's nerves

Rubbish.He has a lot more in common with cock-rockers motley crew.Did Byrons ideals include dating supermodels,doin crack and smack, and parading in front of paps with your gut hangin out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

He could have the musical ability of Mozart and it wouldn't change the fact that he's a fu<king asshole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

AHAHAHAHAHHAHA Nice come back :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think that with the witch hunt for Doherty going on Liam Gallagher has gotten away. Even bigger ass imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,280 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Can we just forget about this gob****e and not give him the ****** of publicity?

From what I've heard of the Libertines and Babyshambles he's a middling song-writer who wouldn't be out of place playing a mid-week slot in Whelans or Dorans but he's pretty far from those he claims as influences.

Crea wrote:
    "Byronic ideal" - Christ almighty!
    I think I feel a poem coming on.

I've heard their music, i've seen coverage of them on stage and based on this alone and not his personal life, i'm not that impressed. They may be influenced by excellent bands but certainly are not up to their standards. I still stand by my guns - if it weren't for his personal life most people would never have heard of them.

"Fair enough, no need to get snobbish but there's an element of close-mindedness to it" you say but then say "I'm glad their appeal hasn't extended to the lumpen mass solely due to the unthinking, uninformed morons who chose to buy a tabloid, scan over it, and form idiotic opinions on what is clearly a talented musician" Who's the music snob here?

That was me getting snobbish. I meant, no need for me to get snobbish. Not the other way around. And yeah apologies to the folk of Kilkenny and Offaly. Some should get the drift of it. I tend to rant a tad.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote:
    Can we just forget about this gob****e and not give him the ****** of publicity?

From what I've heard of the Libertines and Babyshambles he's a middling song-writer who wouldn't be out of place playing a mid-week slot in Whelans or Dorans but he's pretty far from those he claims as influences.

From what you've heard, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

The musics good.

Pity about the self destructive rampage hes on.

Bet hell be remembered long after than westlife are forgotten.

Edit: i cant spell

Advertisement