Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using a BOI cirrus atm abroad

Options
  • 21-08-2006 12:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭

I couldnt find anything specific on the boi site. I'm going to germany, poland and the czech rep next week. I dont want to carry much cash on me so I'll be relying on my bank of ireland cirrus atm. Will I have much trouble using my atm in any of the 3 countries. Along the lines of atms accepting the card and having an option to change the machine language to english? Is there anything else I should look out for, like withdrawal fees etc?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Your card should be fine in those countries, as for charges I think its around €3 per transaction but I'm not 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Withdrawal fees are the biggest concern, so try to take as much out as a time as possible. THe card itself shouldn't pose a problem, just look for an ATM with a Cirrus, Maestro or Mastercard logo on it - it should work in any of those. The option to change to an english language setting depends on the ATM, and the Bank providing it. Most modern units seem to have it enabled

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Nephew wrote:
    Is there anything else I should look out for, like withdrawal fees etc?
    According to IFSRA's website www.itsyourmoney.ie
    What are the charges when I use an ATM abroad?
    When you take out euro anywhere in the EU, you pay the same as you would for an ATM withdrawal at home. When you take out a currency other than euro, either in the EU or outside it, you pay additional charges.
    For example, if you take out US dollars from an ATM in an Irish airport, you will pay additional charges, just as you would if you took out US dollars from an ATM in the United States. You may get a better rate from an airport ATM than an airport bureau de change, so check the charges if you are getting currency at the airport.
    The foreign exchange fee
    Some banks charge a foreign exchange fee when you use your ATM card abroad. The fee may not appear separately on your bank statement and can be added to the euro cost of the foreign currency. For example, if you take out $100 from an ATM in the United States, the actual euro value is about €82.68 (as at 28 June 2005). A foreign exchange fee of 1% would increase the transaction amount to €83.51 and this is the amount that could appear on your statement.
    The transaction fee
    This is a fee charged for withdrawing non-euro cash using your ATM card. This charge will appear separately on your bank statement. The fee ranges from 1% to 3.5% of the value of the transaction in euro, depending on your bank. However, a minimum fee may be applied where the amount withdrawn is small. The examples overleaf show what you could pay for non-euro ATM withdrawals. Be sure to check with your bank before you travel to see what your charges will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bouli

Hi there,
    just to let you know, I was in Amsterdam last weekend and a lot of us (10)
    had a very hard tim getting cash out of the ATM with our BOI Cirrus cards,
    we eventually got cash......about 5 ATM machines later! So yes i was cursing Bank Of Ireland for a few hours.

Enjoy your trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Nephew wrote:
    I couldnt find anything specific on the boi site. I'm going to germany, poland and the czech rep next week. I dont want to carry much cash on me so I'll be relying on my bank of ireland cirrus atm. Will I have much trouble using my atm in any of the 3 countries. Along the lines of atms accepting the card and having an option to change the machine language to english? Is there anything else I should look out for, like withdrawal fees etc?

Thanks
    Tampered ATMs are rife in Poland and Czech so watch out for that problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

i went to indonesia a few years back and i managed to find a list of all the cirrus enabled machines on the island i was going to - (there were a lot too )- you should look for a list like that - perhaps on the cirrus website ?

Edit: just found this - should work for you - http://www.mastercard.com/us/personal/en/cardholderservices/atmlocations/index.html

Advertisement