Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life Banned User, No recourse: Quote from friend Rooney_dives

Options
  • 21-08-2006 12:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

The following is from a friend of mine, Rooney_dives who has asked me to post this on his behalf. I would like to make it totally clear that I am _not him_ as I believe his previous attempts to fight his case have led to others losing their accounts. I don't know if you have access to check my ip but I am posting from Toronto, Canada if you would like to verify that I'm not who I say I'm not! I would hope you will take into account what he has to say and respond accordingly

"i was drunk 1 night and asked for a self-imposed life ban as i felt the moderators were biased, unethical, cronyist and disproportionate in their handling of different users. The life ban from the poker section doesnt bother me so much, but it was most definitely not my intention, sober or otherwise, to be banned from the site as a whole. I like posting in a few forums, and have never offered anything other than legitimate opinions in every forum. Plus i find the method of banning extremely unfair as it is completely unilateral and offering no recourse of appeal or reasoning. I then used my little brothers account to post a few replies and was banned - "previously banned user." This is ridiculous. There should be a method of arguing your case for unbanning or otherwise but the software used by the site doesnt provide that. Im not prepared to set up another account for it to be banned. if my ban remains intact so be it, but you really have to look into your system for banning, its totally unjust. George Bush style stuff"

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

shady_dice wrote:
    There should be a method of arguing your case for unbanning or otherwise but the software used by the site doesnt provide that.

There is.
    It's called the Prison Forum and if you have been site banned you can still plead your case in there. (It's under the system menu on the top right of your screen)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Let this be a lesson. Be careful what you wish for.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Here is the rough version of events:

ROONEY_DIVES trolled a poker forum regular that he has had disagreements with in the past. That forum regular responded in an agitating manner. ROONEY_DIVES fanned the flames and the forum regular responded with personal abuse. ROONEY_DIVES responded with personal jibes and both of them got banned by the poker forum mod for a week.

So far just a rather silly episode but not atypical.

I log on quite a bit after this has happened to discover that he ROONEY_DIVES had contacted me asking for the forum regular to be banned for rising to his trolling. I informed him that I wasn't the person to contact about this but that I noticed that the forum regular had received a ban. I didn't particularly like the way that he had behaved and informed him of that too.

He responded to me with some stuff about boards being a D4 happy clappy bunch of cronies or something (I'm paraphrasing, but the D4 thing was rather odd sounding to me) and suggested that I should have sex with a certain type of farmyard animal.

Now, at this point it doesn't matter if he asked to be banned from anything or if he wanted to use boards but just not the poker forum (but then why did he come back to post a stupid brag thread?). He can get lost until he both learns how to behave himself and somehow gets me to accept an apology. I actually suspect that he's incapable of both, but I'm more than happy to have him prove me wrong.

From his POV the two stories are probably the same, but from my POV there's a fairly crucial difference. I only got involved in this because he contacted me and then he decides to become abusive. To hell with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 shady_dice

rooney has asked me to post this reply... i am doing so but rest assured this will be my last post on the matter, i do think he has a point though and hope you can all see past a drunken rant and allow him access again

"go f*ck a goat is a popular and humorous quote from the movie The 40 Year Old Virgin. It is most definitely not abusive in tone. As for an apology, you want me to apologize for being drunk? Ok done. I wanna be able to post on the Lost forum and see no reason why i should be banned from doing so."

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

That was quite a funny movie btw.

Although I also find it humerous that anyone can possibly imagine that 'go f*ck a goat' is not an extremely insulting insult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

shady_dice wrote:
    go f*ck a goat is a popular and humorous quote from the movie The 40 Year Old Virgin. It is most definitely not abusive in tone.
    Wow! Just wow!

It was in a film, so it wasn't abusive. Great. "Mother****er" was used in lots of films. I shall now call all my friends "mother****er" because it's not abusive and I'll be cool like the movie stars.
    shady_dice wrote:
    As for an apology, you want me to apologize for being drunk?
    Someone who thinks alcohol excuses behaviour shouldn't drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

shady_dice wrote:
    "go f*ck a goat is a popular and humorous quote from the movie The 40 Year Old Virgin. It is most definitely not abusive in tone.
    Apparently people sometimes wonder why a nice bloke like me comes across as patronising. I'll just refer them to this post in future.

Advertisement