Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico. Just don't.

• 21-08-2006 12:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I signed up with perlico as soon as they advertised 2Mb broadband about 3 months ago. I straight away signed up for 2Mb BB as Magnet, Smart, NTL and Irish Broadband had all gone to ****.

Their pre-sale was excellent. All my questions were answered promptly and I recieved call-backs at my requested times. I couldn't have been happier. I was told that there would be a 3 week delay on getting my broadband. Over the course of that 3 week period I made calls to enquire as to the state of my order. At the 3 week mark I was told my application got buggered up somehow and there would be a delay. (This happened last week to my mother as well).
    6 weeks ago, after MANY angry calls, I was connected to their broadband connection at 1Mb. I requested an upgrade to the package I ordered and was told it would be a few days to process the upgrade. Then it was 'a few more days' then 'the begining of the next billing period'. That was August 1st and I'm still on 1Mb. I have made calls at least once per week regarding this and have been repeatedly told 'by the end of the day', 'by the end of the week' and so on.

With regards to the quality of the line I've been given, it's pretty bad. I can play Counterstrike alone fine. Ping of 70 in Irish servers. When 2 of us play, it's okay but when a third person tries to play or go online? Pings climb until we get kicked. This happens in every game I've played.

I will be contacting perlico tomorrow to cancel my account as their aftersale has been terrible. The people I've talked to in their 'broadband tech support line' know little or nothing in the many calls I've made about a variety of problems.

The one good thing is that after a connection is made I get 90 - 100kbps steady traffic. But the making of said connection takes an age. For a number of days it took in the region of 25 seconds to open www.google.com

If you're thinking about Perlico, just don't.

Edit: Who would you recommend for someone who is interested in primarily playing games online and has access only to a DSL based system?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

TheHig wrote:
    Their pre-sale was excellent. All my questions were answered promptly and I recieved call-backs at my requested times. I couldn't have been happier. I was told that there would be a 3 week delay on getting my broadband. Over the course of that 3 week period I made calls to enquire as to the state of my order. At the 3 week mark I was told my application got buggered up somehow and there would be a delay. (This happened last week to my mother as well).
    6 weeks ago, after MANY angry calls, I was connected to their broadband connection at 1Mb. I requested an upgrade to the package I ordered and was told it would be a few days to process the upgrade. Then it was 'a few more days' then 'the begining of the next billing period'. That was August 1st and I'm still on 1Mb. I have made calls at least once per week regarding this and have been repeatedly told 'by the end of the day', 'by the end of the week' and so on.

I would suspect that the real culprit here is not Perlico but eir€on. I had absolute grief in getting connected to imag!ne and it turned out the problem was not imagine at all but eircom. To make matters worse, eircom wouldn't resolve the issue or tell anybody about it as it was eircom retail to blame rather than eircom wholesale. My suspicious is that at the moment Eircom wholesale are going out of their way to provide a rotten service to resellers in order to protect eircom retail's near-monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭maximus02

A friend of mine has Perlico 1Mb. It seems fine but he is a light user.

One thing I found interesting was that his username is : xxxxxxxx@utvinternet.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I had digiweb for over 2 years. Got Perlico installed last week, had to ring them for my username and password (using temp atm) but other than that, the service is no different (so far) to my old digiweb package. Only difference is that it's cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Morkin

I've just signed up with Cinergi (3Mbps) seems fine but again the username is xxxxxx@utvinternet.ie

Anyone shed some light on this? Reselling I guess.

20GB cap is crap though.

M.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TheHig

Actually I got a bill from perlico yesterday. 196 Euro.
    30 Euro X2 for a package that I hadn't recieved until tuesday and 30 Euro for 'Excessive bandwidth usage', all of which I've disputed and refused to pay on the grounds that I had contact with 3 seperate CSR's and 2 supervisors about the cap-limit.

I'm sure they'll try and screw me outta it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

€196 :eek: for 2 months BB and Line Rental is not cheap :eek:

Did you break the cap ?

By How much (if anything) ?

Is there an online stats so that you can SEE that you are at risk of breaking the cap and modify your behaviour if necessary ???

(Eircom and BT and UTV have one of those) . If not there is no way you could have known so they cannot charge for going over the cap....off to Comreg with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TheHig

Yeah there's no way to measure the cap breaking but when I was signing up I asked about a cap limit. Was tol it was unlimited. Rang back, asked again, different operator asked her to check with her supervisor and ring me back, she did, once again unlimited. Rang back once more and asked for a supervisor myself, asked, once more, no cap. I even stipulated that it would be stated in the contract somewhere that there would be a cap, and she said that it wouldn't apply because I was so adamant about it.

If they refuse the re-imbursment I'm cancelling outright as it's unsuitable for me to have a CAP limit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

In order for them to charge for breaking the cap they have to have an online stats thingy that tells you what your usage is and it should be up to date and synchronised with your billing period

Check with Comreg and confirm this is so.

Then you can cancel and let Comreg deal with them, info@comreg.ie .

Let Comreg ring them up too and 'enquire' about Caps to prove that they (as a minimum) are not training their staff properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

is this not more of a consumer issue?????

Advertisement