Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic Milk Cartons

• 21-08-2006 2:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭

I was reading a thread about someone saying that irish milk tasted like crap and it got me thinking. I always get the tetra pak cartons. If i ever have to get the plastic cartons i always get a horrible taste from those cartons. I taste it in tea,cereal etc. but no one else in my family seem to notice this!:confused: Surely im not the only one that thinks milk from plastic cartons is the bogs dollocks?:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Hmm.. I couldn't tell you. I get the cardboard (that's what it is I think) ones myself.

I <3 milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH. I always get it in the plastic carton, tastes fine to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

ppl tend to be amazed when i tell them they buy their milk in plastic cartons even though i didnt see the carton and am just drinkin a cup of coffee. sometimes its worse than others. parents insist on buyin the plastic cartons coz they're the cheaper. :( le poop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Can't tell the difference myself. Anyway, tetrapak cartons are made from a laminated cardboard with plastic on the inside anyway, so the milk is still in contact with plastic.

Oh yes, by the way, saying that something is "the dogs bollocks" is actually the opposite of what you wanted to say :) I.e. it's saying something is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I get it from the plastic too. It tastes acidic or something. Really vicious. The funny thing is, that if I get the milk from the tank (live on a dairy farm) and put it into an empty plastic milk carton myself, that taste never arises, even if its in there for 3 or 4 days. Makes me wonder if the reactions occuring are between the plastic and whatever they (creameries) add to the milk? Even the cardboard ones, although this acidic taste doesnt factor, still seem very watered down in comparison to fresh milk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I get it from the plastic too. It tastes acidic or something. Really vicious. The funny thing is, that if I get the milk from the tank (live on a dairy farm) and put it into an empty plastic milk carton myself, that taste never arises, even if its in there for 3 or 4 days. Makes me wonder if the reactions occuring are between the plastic and whatever they (creameries) add to the milk? Even the cardboard ones, although this acidic taste doesnt factor, still seem very watered down in comparison to fresh milk.
    thank god! someone else tastes it:) i thought i was going mad for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

I have noticed some differences in the Milks in the plastic bottles.
    I have narrowed it down to only buying two different brands, which taste reallly good.

the first one I think is called 'Premium Fresh Milk' and the other is the Tesco Brand Milk.

I tried avenmore and a few others, and I agree that they do indeed have that kind of acidic taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Yeah I can taste it aswll. I'm not sure what it is but I avoid the all plastic containers whenever I have to buy milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Yep , definitly, milk in plastic is nasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

thank god! someone else tastes it:) i thought i was going mad for a while

don't worry :D you'll always be crazy.

i only have super milk in my house (avemore i think)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

My understanding of it was that the light that hits the milk through the plastic when it is standing about outside waiting to be loaded was the culprit, I may be wrong but it would explain why the milk filled into the carton at home doesn't get the same problem as it goes straight into your fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Blub2k4 wrote:
    My understanding of it was that the light that hits the milk through the plastic when it is standing about outside waiting to be loaded was the culprit, I may be wrong but it would explain why the milk filled into the carton at home doesn't get the same problem as it goes straight into your fridge.
    It loses more vitamins in the plastic containers for the same reason. Boo-urns to plastic container milk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,997 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Shabadu wrote:
    It loses more vitamins in the plastic containers for the same reason. Boo-urns to plastic container milk!

So milk from the cartons is healthier for you? It has more vitamins?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

eo980 wrote:
    So milk from the cartons is healthier for you? It has more vitamins?
    I've been told it has significantly more vitamin D, yes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Light doesn't get into the card cartons so you'd degrade less vitamins and stuff that way

Advertisement