Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poppin the IHS... would ya?

Options
  • 21-08-2006 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

I was just about to make a BIG mistake as I had set up an automatic sniper on ebay to bid for a pretty good stepping Opty 165 on ebay. It had something in the brief description about "IHS removed", "IHS included" ... I initially just thought it was something like a receipt or document or something. But anyway in the end I decided i'd better look it up... that was until I actually came across this... :eek:

IHS.jpg

Reading up on it I realised this MIGHT be beneficial for a water cooled or phase setup, but not my air cooled system. I might in the future try it out if I have a "spare" CPU lying around, i'm just wondering would any of yous ever do this to shave off a few degrees and get a better OC on your cpu? Or is it too bleeding edge for us micks loike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It's not advisable (or possible without damaging the package) to remove some IHS.

Not worth it. A team of engineers agreed to put it there, so it's there for a reason. This is evident in how hard they can be to remove.

It's also to protect the user from cracking/over-stressing the package when mounting a heatsink.

Try it out on a spare cpu if you're bored some rainy Sunday afternoon, but it's just not worth the hassle imho.

{edit}....that said, if you're WCing and pushing high clocks and heat-dissipation levels,using a peltier or phase/liquid nitrogen it may be beneficial.{/edit}

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

:( Farewell ye vallent Venice 3800+, we will remember you always!

Its easy, but I broke mine mounting a waterblock onto it. Its so easy to damage the core/transisters when the I.h.s. is off. Great to do if your chip has huge temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

I did it with great results on a 144, never did reach 3ghz stable though :mad:

After reading the horror stories I dont think its really worth it unless your prepared to bork your chip.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054878388&referrerid=59211&highlight=ihs

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

What if you popped the IHS, lapped it, applied AS5 between the IHS and the core, put the IHS back on and use AS5 between the IHS and heatsink...

Surely that would drop temps a lot and give you the safety of the IHS :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

lol I was actually thinking that exact thing. Would it be possible to reattach the IHS with better TIM? I mean would a few drops of superglue around the sides do the job? Or even thermal tape?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It depends on how well your Ihs was mounted in teh first place. Most people only see a benift when using sub-zero cooling or have a abnormally hot chip.

Advertisement