Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anandtech Server Guide :: Recommended Reading

Options
  • 21-08-2006 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.anandtech.com/IT/showdoc.aspx?i=2817

Haven't read past the first page as I've work in the morning and should've gone to bed 2 hours ago.

Today's enterprise/server gear often points the way to what you'll be using on your desktop a year from now.

Virtualisation. This has been knocking about on mainframes since the start. It's been pushed in the enterprise commodity market over the last year, and OSX is ahead of the consumer curve in providing it for the end-user.

Expect to hear Dell guffawing about it in a year....when we're already alt-tabbing between our N+1 OSes on Xen3.5...

Mini-blades / modular hardware bricks in the home anyone?
    Need some more cpu horsepower? Slap another compute brick into your DomoServ.
    Need some more ram? [see previous]

Say what paek?

ExpressCard will include the functionality Cardbus-to-PCI adapters provided with PCMCIA cards, eSATA and the wide adoption of portable drives are laying the groundwork. All these look to fill the gap between tradtional expansion slots and SGI Origin-style CPU and Memory 'bricks'. We've seen a few companies touting modular systems, mainly OEM/yuppie/Crazy Jap stuff, but this type of thing [standards] is useful in that it provides the life-blood of tech - interoperability. It'll take us a few years to get our DomoServ3000, but those years will pass quickly.
    When building/buying your home, remember to provision ducting for fibre....or have cardboard walls and tinfoil hats for your multi-gigabit WiZenith DAN.

This post has spiraled into technophilic masturbation and futurology (ick!).
    I trust ye will follow suit? smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

A good read

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Tis good alright.. A little too overviewish and I wish it had a lot more meat to it.. Will look out for part 2 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Right so, without reading the article I have come to the conslusion that I will need some bricks with more meat on them. Man this is going to be cheap. Thanks lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

krazy_8s wrote:
    Right so, without reading the article I have come to the conslusion that I will need some bricks with more meat on them. Man this is going to be cheap. Thanks lads.

haha :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

:/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

SyxPak wrote:
    Need some more cpu horsepower? Slap another compute brick into your DomoServ.

Say woot!?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

DomoServ3000

Imagine the Monolith from 2001: A Space Oddity.

With a b0rg arse.

<settle>

The bricks meld with it's onyx quasi-fluid surface when inserted. It has several small soft little lights blinking in rapid harmony, as though it were a cheerful milkman delivery us our base2 lifeblood. Our various mobile and static comms & entertainment devices* will suckle this nourishing fluid down as piglets to a sow's ethereal teat.

* not forgetting those we have shoved up our iHoles. Warrick will clean up when he destroys Jobs in the MechaWars of 2011 and becomes the head of Applooglisney....fact

Advertisement