Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Occult Shops

Options
  • 21-08-2006 4:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Are there any shops in Dublin CIty Center or anywhere around D14 anywhere in dublin really where you can get like candles and pentogramss,cauldrons,athames all that stuff?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

There are very little in the way of shops in the dublin area. The two main one would be the yellow brick road on the quays and also the house of astrology on parliment street. Candles can be bought anywhere and I would suggest any pound shop, aldi and lidl are quite good too. Cauldrons are a raretity but rarley needed or used and why pay through the nose when a kitchen pot will do nicley. Athames are ritual items and are usually given as a gift at initiation, your finger is the best thing to use most of the time anyhow, or to begin with a kitchen knife would be what many use.
    If you want to have things that are for ritual purpose only, I would suggest buying a cereal bowl instead of a cauldron etc, going out into a wooded area to find a twig as a wand etc etc. Purchased paraphanailia is often just that, paraphanailia. More often than not it is really not needed at all, especially outside of coven practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭joseph dawton

I agree. I use my fingers and my mind for most work. I have an old kitchen knife that I converted into an athame. I got an old skillet pot from a junk shop eventually. I've found or made nearly everything I use and I think these items are more useful because they are personal and contain my own creativity and energy rather than being provided 'ready to use'. As well as being 'better', it saves money and makes you think more about what for and why you want these items if you have to put in a bit of effort.

http://www.electricpublications.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Aul Pine Georges arcade off georges st is another place.

Thread split as not to be off topic see the new thread Ritual Tools.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054980032

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 John Vi

Are there any shops in Dublin CIty Center or anywhere around D14 anywhere in dublin really where you can get like candles and pentogramss,cauldrons,athames all that stuff?

Candles - tesco or a euro shop
    Pentagrams - That metaler shop in St Stephans green
    cauldron? what you going to brew you so pixie juices?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

To begin with:
    Knives: Dunnes Stores, Roaches Stores, etc.
    Cups: Dunnes Stores, Roaches Stores, etc.
    Plates: Dunnes Stores, Roaches Stores, etc.
    Candles: Dunnes Stores, Roaches Stores, etc.
    Wand: These grown on trees.

If you're working to a particular tradition with particular requirements, then you'll know (or be told) what those requirements are and how to fulfil them. If not better to find out that the cheap knife you got in Dunnes doesn't suit you and have a fair idea why and then go find something better, than find out the highly ornate and really cool hand-crafted athamé you spent a few hundred doesn't suit you either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 John Vi

Talliesin wrote:
    To begin with:
    Knives: Dunnes Stores, Roaches Stores, etc.
    Cups: Dunnes Stores, Roaches Stores, etc.
    Plates: Dunnes Stores, Roaches Stores, etc.
    Candles: Dunnes Stores, Roaches Stores, etc.
    Wand: These grown on trees.

If you're working to a particular tradition with particular requirements, then you'll know (or be told) what those requirements are and how to fulfil them. If not better to find out that the cheap knife you got in Dunnes doesn't suit you and have a fair idea why and then go find something better, than find out the highly ornate and really cool hand-crafted athamé you spent a few hundred doesn't suit you either.

Well said, it is much better to make something yourself, that has a personal touch. I believe you must put a bit of yourself in everything you do!

I will add one thing to what I said though. While I would suggest starting with a cheap knife from Dunnes, it can't be a crap knife. It's one thing to stay simple until you've a good idea of exactly what you personally require from a tool, it's another to be pouring wine into a cup thinking "Gods what a manky misshapen piece of crap this is".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

i think all roches stores have been sold out to Debenhams. I'm not 100% sure but i think there used to be an old occult shop on camden street and i think now there may be a new one in it's place, can't remember it's name but i think it had angels in it's name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭skateing dragon

Ok thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 clontarf

ok we find cndles in DUNNES and euroshops but theres no variety and we need all shapes and sizes
    we also desperately need INCENCES but NOT MERELY STICKS , real good incense to burn on the charcoal
    we have to order it from greece but the post never arrives we dont know what happens
    please tell us what can we do

• Advertisement

http://www.houseofastrology.net/ l carries resins and insense.
    http://www.houseofastrology.net/id5.htm

I have always fond it better to buy resin and make the rest of the incense byself from herbs and dried flowers and what ever else I need.

clontarf wrote:
    ok we find cndles in DUNNES and euroshops but theres no variety and we need all shapes and sizes
    Funny, I find the opposite problem - umpteen different weirdly shaped candles in a whole range of colours, but it's plain simple white candles in a cylinder or taper shape that I snap up when I see them.
    clontarf wrote:
    we also desperately need INCENCES but NOT MERELY STICKS , real good incense to burn on the charcoal
    As Thaedydal said, plenty of this in House Of Astrology.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Abrys

Does anyone know a place in Limerick where you can buy stuff which was mentioned???

I buy my incense from modesty but I'm only starting out so I wouldn't know where to go to get some of the other stuff
    like athame, statues etc. :confused:

Hi abrys,

an athame is a black handled knife with two edges that would not be too hard to find and if you find a knife you like you coudl always stain or dye the handle black.

As for statues that depends on whatyou are after you will be swurprised what you find in charity shops or little unusual shops.

There are two mailing lists for pagans in munster
    Clare Moot Mailing List
    "This email list provides a forum for communication for those who attend or who would like to attend the Clare Moot. The Clare Moot is a monthly informal social gathering which takes place in Co. Clare, Ireland and welcomes people with an interest in earth-based spirituality." Go to the Clare Moot page on Yahoogroups to learn how to subscribe.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ClareMoot/

Cork Pagans
    A mailing list for Pagans in and near Cork in Ireland to network.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ClareMoot/

People there may be able to give you some local info.

hey Thaedydal

Tanks 4 ur help:D ...the statues i would b lookin 4 are 1's of the goddess nd god...dats y i asked cos i really couldnt tink of a place wer they would sell those kinds of statues...i wish an occult shop would just open hahaha...tanks alot...:)

Hi Abrys, could you please make an effort to not use txtspk it is very hard to read esp for those who have dyslexia such as myself.

Well part of a person's journey is finding the things you need, some garden suppliers do venus statues and saytrs and green men try any place that does statues.

oh god Thaedydal i am so sorry:( ...

thanks again for your help...

No problem.

I wish you well with what you are looking for,
    who know what intresting converstaions you may have with people while you are searching what you wold not have if you had a one stop ocult shop or if you ordered on line.

Are there any specific deties you are looking for or just generic god and goddess symbols ?

ya just symbols of them would do grand...

In what context would you be working ?
    Cos you know there is no reason why you could not use the very basic
    gender symbols or you could get two nice picutre frames and print out pictures of the dieties you wish to work with.

• Advertisement

Abrys wrote:
    oh god Thaedydal i am so sorry:(
    For that matter, apart from txtspk making it hard for your readers, being rude, and making you look stupid it's acting counter to your intent.

If you want to succeed in magic you will want to work on acting according to your intent out of ritual so you will do so more in ritual. This will stand you in a lot more stead than any tool.

And of course, words themselves are tools. Don't neglect the tools you already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kvothe

well i dunno if this is the right thing here to ask, i need holy... salt. does anyone know where to got this. yes yes i know its sounds crazy, salt what was blessed by a priest ect. but i think i have an alb...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

what type priest and what are you planning on using it for?

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭CuAnnan

Kvothe wrote: »
    well i dunno if this is the right thing here to ask, i need holy... salt. does anyone know where to got this. yes yes i know its sounds crazy, salt what was blessed by a priest ect. but i think i have an alb...
    What's an alb, other than the robe a Cristian priest wears?

well an alb is a special form of elf fairy, who is sucking out your energy and feeding on it while you sleep. usually its sitting on you while you sleeping, and if you doing astral walks while you sleep sometimes i saw it sitting on me ect... sounds strange and usually i never believed in this **** but unfortunatly its true and its scares the hell out of me. so on my quest of findeing a cure the best i could come up with is to get holy blessed salt and surround it on my bed. i red its the only thing to make it going away. but where to find???

What makes you think this is happening?
    Have been to your dr and spoken to them about it being sleep paralysis?
    Or to check is is not another medical condition?

You should do this first.

as for the salt,
    If you are christian then go to service with some salt on your person and when the priest/reverend/minister blesses the congregation it will get bless as well.

or look up how to bless it yourself or find a pagan who's priesthood you recognise and ask them.

well an alb is a special form of elf fairy
    From what cosmology?
    usually its sitting on you while you sleeping
    Sounds like a pre-medicine explanation for sleep paralysis or possibly nocturnal epilepsy, if you ask me.
    sometimes i saw it sitting on me ect...
    If you're seeing things that other people do not, your first course of action should be to seek medical attention. It could easily be symptomatic of neurological problems, that is not to say that you may be crazy. But if you're seeing things that other people do not, you may have something pressing against your optic nerve, or you may have a blood vessel putting pressure where it shouldn't.
    so on my quest of findeing a cure the best i could come up with is to get holy blessed salt and surround it on my bed.
    Salt is hygroscopic, which means it absorbs water from the air. By about half an hour, you won't have any salt left unless you're using rather large chunks of rock salt.
    Just not practical.
    i red its the only thing to make it going away. but where to find???
    Where?
    Did you read this in either of the books from whence your user name came?

I've read Name of the Wind and Wise man's fear and there's nothing like that mentioned in them.

Sharrow wrote: »
    I've read Name of the Wind and Wise man's fear and there's nothing like that mentioned in them.
    Yeah, I couldn't recall.

• Advertisement

ah no had nothing to do with the books. and i know its sounds crazy, but since this is an occult site i really mean i think my soul is wandering off int an astral world and spotting this elf sitting on me sucking my energy of my body while i am asleep... i am not crazy, my mother got me testet :p

Advertisement