Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol prices dropping?

Options
  • 21-08-2006 5:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭

In Carlow for a while now most garages charged €1.20 per litre of petrol and the cheapest garage around charged €1.18 per litre, but now today they've all dropped, the cheapest one i seen was €1.14 :eek: fawking noice, anyone know why the prices dropped?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Noticed this too in and around Dublin. A few days after people saying it would rise to €1.30 and it drops. I'm not complaining though, It's only a matter of time before it goes up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

bennyx_o wrote:
    Noticed this too in and around Dublin. A few days after people saying it would rise to €1.30 and it drops. I'm not complaining though, It's only a matter of time before it goes up again.

so its time to fill up :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Run out and fill up. But don't hold your breath. Oil corporation profits are tied to scarcity (real or contrived). USA, China, and India are driving long term pricing based upon increasing demand. Alternative energy sources are lagging far behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Run out and fill up. But don't hold your breath. Oil corporation profits are tied to scarcity (real or contrived). USA, China, and India are driving long term pricing based upon increasing demand. Alternative energy sources are lagging far behind.

How much in CA, about $3 something a gallon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ruu wrote:
    How much in CA, about $3 something a gallon?

At the station about a mile away it was $3.22 USD today (87 octane).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Crude oil prices have fallen from a peak of around 77 usd in late July to around 71 usd now. This is why petrol prices have come down (with a lag of course) I think this will be temporary and we will see oil prices back above 77 usd soon. Enjoy it while it lasts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Heard a guy on the radio last week explaining that current oil prices are being driven up by speculators, he had all sorts of figures to support this, can't remember for sure, but I think he said that it is currently adding $15 to a barrel and that this will not be sustained into the future, cause for hope?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

At the station about a mile away it was $3.22 USD today (87 octane).
    thats per american gallon though, 3.5 liters i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

lomb wrote:
    thats per american gallon though, 3.5 liters i think.
    So it's still less than $1 per litre, or, in Euro, about 86c. Those poor Californians.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

1 US Gallon = 3.785 litres
    Therefore, US$3.22 a US gallon = €0.6595 per litre. Feck sake, we're paying about twice as much!

Damn yanks and your wrong measures - ye don't just use gallons, you use wrong gallons! Wrong octane measurements too - 87 = about 91-95 octane here (most garages sell 95 in Ireland).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

87 Octane !!!

I put that on my Crunchy Nut Cornflakes this morning :D

They can keep it, I prefer to pay that bit more for the real deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

I live in Mayo and I travel to Galway city for work every day. Last week petrol was 123.9 in galway and 118.9 back in my hometown.

Every station on the way to Galway from Mayo is more expensive than the last!

I want to change over to diesel big time, I saw it advertised for 112.9 yesterday. Maybe its cheaper again now given this new development.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Cheapest ive heard of in dublin is the foxhunter at 1.15,can anyone confirm that?

Oh i wonder what the statoil on the quays out of town is at the minute,probably 1.32 at the lower rate!

eireal wrote:
    Cheapest ive heard of in dublin is the foxhunter at 1.15,can anyone confirm that?

Oh i wonder what the statoil on the quays out of town is at the minute,probably 1.32 at the lower rate!

1.15 :eek: Was that last week or today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Statoil dropped their wholesale price by 4.3 cents last Wednesday. Seems to be kicking in at the pumps now. Their fuelcard (motorcard.ie) is currently selling unleaded at 113.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,241 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I was on holiday in Brussels and Amsterdam last week and the price of unleaded was between €1.40 and €1.50 a litre. Diesel was around €1.20 a litre as far as I remember. 20c per litre saving to switch to an oil burner over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

bazz26 wrote:
    I was on holiday in Brussels and Amsterdam last week and the price of unleaded was between €1.40 and €1.50 a litre. Diesel was around €1.20 a litre as far as I remember. 20c per litre saving to switch to an oil burner over there.

I found much the same scenario in Italy (Rome) last week. Unleaded about 1.44 per litre, diesel was about 14c per litre cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

junii wrote:
    1.15 :eek: Was that last week or today?

Apparently it was on saturday night

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

gyppo wrote:
    I found much the same scenario in Italy (Rome) last week. Unleaded about 1.44 per litre, diesel was about 14c per litre cheaper.
    Yeah, surprisingly petrol is one of the few reasonably priced things (possibly the only?) in Ireland compared to the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Yeah, surprisingly petrol is one of the few reasonably priced things (possibly the only?) in Ireland compared to the rest of Europe.

Yes,
    It is just everything else thats a rip-off.....

• Advertisement

You will find, for the most part, that in such places, road tax is added on via petrol prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I agree fuel prices are more expensive in Continental Europe than here. HOWEVER, over there you have public transport systems that work, and there is an alternative to running a car.
    Here, unless you live on the Dart or Luas, forget about it.
    If you live outside the Pale you have to have a car - or walk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Fuel prices in Waterford City tend to be lowish and steady too - Tesco have been in and around 116-118 for a few months.

Amercians love cheap low octane fuel - when I had the Merc there were no end of threads on message boards asking why is my car running rough - they were using 83 (US) in a car designed for 95 RON, minimum.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

115.9c for petrol in quite a few stations outside dublin city centre yesterday evening.

Statoil on the south quays were looking for €1.35 for regular 95 octane petrol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Statoil are always dear for pump prices. :mad:

Statoil Abbeyleix are currently charging 121.9 down from 125.9 earlier. The motor card gives me 8c discount. I would never pay cash in a statoil tbh. I laugh at the mugs that know no better and do. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Statoil dropped their fuelcard price by almost 10 cents last week :D
    But sadly it doesnt seem to have kicked in for daysel :confused:

Sizzler wrote:
    Statoil dropped their fuelcard price by almost 10 cents last week :D
    But sadly it doesnt seem to have kicked in for daysel :confused:

No they didn't - 5.3 cents...

As of today the cheapest ive seen in Mayo and Galway has been 118.9. The only price I see thats changed is the one near the Mariott hotel... down from 123.9 to 120.9!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 andrea2007

Hi

AXA Insurance have launched a fuel card with Statoil that gives you a discounted fixed rate on petrol. At the moment the fuel card rate is 113.2c!

You can apply online at axaplus.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

acassells wrote:
    Hi

AXA Insurance have launched a fuel card with Statoil that gives you a discounted fixed rate on petrol. At the moment the fuel card rate is 113.2c!

You can apply online at axaplus.ie

do you pay upfront?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement