Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol prices dropping?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Local garage was 116.9 on friday and everywhere else was still 121+ - thought it was a mistake, but filling up yesterday, it clearly wasnt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Spit62500

acassells wrote:
    Hi

AXA Insurance have launched a fuel card with Statoil that gives you a discounted fixed rate on petrol. At the moment the fuel card rate is 113.2c!

You can apply online at axaplus.ie

Is this a credit card? It looks like one - or at least a charge card. If so, are you liable for the 40 euro govt duty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The AXA card is the same card provided by motorcard.ie except it is branded by AXA, and only for AXA policy holders.

No you are not liable for €40 duty.

I prophesy the price of these cards will be 110.1 for unleaded, 109.9 for diesel tomorrow! Of course I could be wrong!

(and no I don't work for Statoil, or anyone connected with that card)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I passed the Statoil on Dublins Quays the other day.
    Despite the recent price drops all over the place, they are advertising unleaded at >135c/L

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭The_Magoo

Well, I just filled my tank at Tescos for 113.9 a litre, cost €56 to fill the tank. The same last week cost €59 = grand saving of €3!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

KTRIC wrote:
    87 Octane !!!

I put that on my Crunchy Nut Cornflakes this morning :D

They can keep it, I prefer to pay that bit more for the real deal.

He's talking about the MON octane rating though whereas we use RON. 87 MON is probably the same as our 95 RON. http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/Reference/RONMONPON.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

113.9 at Tesco Waterford.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Has anyone signed up for the Benchmark fuel card - http://www.motorcard.ie/ - Seems a bit too good to be true.
    The Statoil beside me is not too bad at 115.90 last Friday, so an extra few pence off that price wouldnt be bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The card does what it says it does on the tin. I find that statoils normal prices to be outrageous up to 10 cent above others.

• Advertisement

So they are knocking a few cents off a high price. Whoopie!

Mike.

Motorcard is currently 110.1, find somewhere to beat that!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Tesco in New Ross opened recently at 116.9 with 5c off per litre for >€50 grocery spend. Statoil matched it, then went to 113.9, with 5c off for >€25 groceries. Then Tesco matched Statoil. Then Statoil went to 110.9. Now Tesco have followed Statoil to 110.9.

Four weeks ago the same Statoil were charging 122.9. Is this the effect of competition or just fluctuations that would have happened anyway?

Out of curiosity, have any petrol stations near established Tesco forecourts closed down?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Not round here - yet - though some closed in the last two or three years, no connection to Tesco though. We just see dozens, and I mean dozens, of UK cars filling up on their way back to the ferry - they fill Jerrycans with petrol too. Cars must be mobile powder kegs with that much fuel.

Here in Waterford Esso closed the Ardkeen station which is about half a Km away, but I belive it was one of a bunch Esso had earmarked for closure anyway.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Black Sky

voxpop wrote:
    Has anyone signed up for the Benchmark fuel card - http://www.motorcard.ie/ - Seems a bit too good to be true.
    The Statoil beside me is not too bad at 115.90 last Friday, so an extra few pence off that price wouldnt be bad.

I signed up a month ago. No hidden strings, does exactly waht it says.
    Last week was 113.?, and driving around West Kerry there were alot of 125c al garages. Generally Statoil me be more expensive, but I keep a printoff of the garages that take the card in the glove compartent. Very handy when venturing beyond the Pale.

No charges if you don't use, so can't loose, just another PIN to remember though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

mike65, I got petrol at the station beside the Hypermarket (ie "the L&N", sorry, former WRTC student, dunno what it's called now) on Sunday afternoon for 112.9.

In Maynooth, Tesco are the cheapest 95% of the time, but it always pays to check out the other two nearby, as I reckon Tesco knows most people won't bother checking and will take advantage of that from time to time.

Tesco both here and the UK vary from station to station as I witnessed recently. 116.9 in New Ross, 118.9 in Maynooth on the same day. Half the Tescos I saw in the UK earlier in the day were 97.9 or 99.9 (driving from Bristol to Fishguard, ferry to Rosslare, drive to Leixlip).

To top it all off, it's Statoil that supply petrol to Tesco stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Black Sky wrote:

No charges if you don't use, so can't loose, just another PIN to remember though...

I lost the PIN in the first week. I have never been asked to enter it anywhere, just sign the slip.
    I think the PIN is for just those after hours diesel places that the trucks fill up at.

JHMEG wrote:
    mike65, I got petrol at the station beside the Hypermarket (ie "the L&N", sorry, former WRTC student, dunno what it's called now) on Sunday afternoon for 112.9.

Thats a Texaco. Must remember them!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Wickedcat

a few cents off will do the petrol stations good! it would mean more customers will be dropping in for a fill! let's join them!...:D :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

gyppo wrote:
    I found much the same scenario in Italy (Rome) last week. Unleaded about 1.44 per litre, diesel was about 14c per litre cheaper.

Was in France last week and diesel was approx €1.10 while petrol was €1.30.
    Glad I bought my TDi a while back :-)

testicle wrote:
    Motorcard is currently 110.1, find somewhere to beat that!

Will be 108.0 for unleaded from midnight tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

testicle wrote:
    Will be 108.0 for unleaded from midnight tonight.

I thought the price was only set once a week?

It is. From Wednesday 00:00 to the following Wednesday 23:59

testicle wrote:
    It is. From Wednesday 00:00 to the following Wednesday 23:59
    According to either todays Times or Indo, Tesco have dropped their prices 3 times this week, so they must be doing it more than once a week!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

mike65 wrote:
    Here in Waterford Esso closed the Ardkeen station which is about half a Km away, but I belive it was one of a bunch Esso had earmarked for closure anyway.

Mike.

Ah the memories of falling out of the Cove Bar after a liquid lunch!!!

kbannon wrote:
    According to either todays Times or Indo, Tesco have dropped their prices 3 times this week, so they must be doing it more than once a week!

What have Tesco got to do with this Motorcard? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭darkflower

...eh?,are they still taking some cents off?..i'm running out of gas.:D want to have a refill!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

testicle wrote:
    What have Tesco got to do with this Motorcard? :confused:
    sorry, my bad!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement