Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please Help

Options
  • 21-08-2006 6:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

I got 470 in the Leaving Cert, but the course I want has been announced this morning as 475* (*Not all on this points score were offered places). Do I still stand a chance of getting it in the latter stages?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

No not a hope in hell

WELCOME TO THE RAT RACE

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aidonin

...well that was harsh:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

Archimedes wrote:
    I got 470 in the Leaving Cert, but the course I want has been announced this morning as 475* (*Not all on this points score were offered places). Do I still stand a chance of getting it in the latter stages?
    I was in the same situation as yourself last year mate ..its tough going isn't it!

The chances are you wont be offered that course on your current points but you should really go view your papers with an experienced teacher and if it looks like you should've been marked higher get your papers rechecked. Chances are you will go up 5-15points which could mean you getting that course.

I didn't get mine rechecked in the end I decided to settle for the course I'm doing now and I'm delighted with it

Best of luck and if you dont get what you want remember there's more than one way to skin a cat:) !

Oh and *mono* that was a bit harsh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Sorry, but no. Some people on 475 won't even get it. Maybe try getting something re-checked as advised, best of luck..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

I got 340 , course i wanted was 320.. and i still didnt get it... how do you know what points courses went up by?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Aidonin

I'm reaaaaaaaaaaaally confused!
    I got 325, science in UCD (without that * thingy) is 325 but it's my 3rd choice and now i'm getting offered my first level 6/7 course....have i missed something here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

where do you find out how much points they've gone up by?

where do you find out how much points they've gone up by?
    www.cao.ie look at the points for 2006 and compare with the points for 2005

one of the newspapers might have the points for 05 printed along with the 06 ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

i thought in round 2 round 3 etc, the points can go down???? so it could drop. like for example sports science in DCU (2005) was 495 and dropped to 470!? cant u get in on the 2nd or 3rd round if the points drop!?? im sooo confused....

Aidonin wrote:
    I got 325, science in UCD (without that * thingy) is 325 but it's my 3rd choice and now i'm getting offered my first level 6/7 course....have i missed something here?

Have you been offered any place on your level 8 choices? If not are you sure you meet all the requirements for those courses [eg. pass in maths and a language]

• Advertisement

Pez wrote:
    i thought in round 2 round 3 etc, the points can go down???? so it could drop. like for example sports science in DCU (2005) was 495 and dropped to 470!? cant u get in on the 2nd or 3rd round if the points drop!?? im sooo confused....

Yes the points can drop but it all depends on the demand of that course. If the course has a XXX* on it, it means that even people who have gotten XXX points may not have gotten a place because of the demand for that course [more applicants than places]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Pez

Scraggs wrote:
    Yes the points can drop but it all depends on the demand of that course. If the course has a XXX* on it, it means that even people who have gotten XXX points may not have gotten a place because of the demand for that course [more applicants than places]

Oh right! so the * basicly means that all the places have been filled. cheers! i think i get it now lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭ThrownAway

Archimedes wrote:

Is it a course in UCC?

Aidonin wrote:

are you sure you've filled the requirements other than the points?

I.e for Science you need
    6 Subjects passed

2 Honours

You have to pass English, have an Ordinary B3 or Higher level D3 in Maths. Pass Irish. You need to pass a lanuguage, and also a science subject.

http://qualifax.ie/?Mainsec=courses&Subsec=course_details&ID=2204

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

i'm so confused!!!

i got a level 6/7 first choice, nothing in level 8!

if i accept my offer, I wont get any offers in round2 or 3 and I'm out of the 'CAO race' so to speak?

so I could miss an oppertunity in a level 8 course ??!?!
    :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

no, read the notice that came with your offer in the post.
    If you accecpt the L6/7 offer now, you can still be offered a course in L8 in round 2

Archimedes, you still stand a chance. You may get an offer in round 2, its just not very likely

The * means that random selection was used to decide who got the places. The cut off points may have been 400 and 5 people may have gotten 400 but there are only 4 places. cue random selection

EDIT:call one of those exam helpline thingys, they know their ****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭c m

if it's bess no chance

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

Pez wrote:
    Oh right! so the * basicly means that all the places have been filled. cheers! i think i get it now lol

No, it means that all places have been offered, not filled. In the second round, any places that were offered in the first round (but not accepted), will be offered to other applicants. The * might mean that one person on 475 didn't get offered a place, or it could mean 400 people didn't get offered a place. Those on 475 who didn't get a place may have a reasonable chance at getting a second round offer, and there is a chance that some of those on 470 might get an offer. But it depends on a range of issues, and you are unable to find the information you need to figure out if you're likely to get an offer. If it is BESS, it has been known to fall somewhat between first offer and final offer, but it depends on the particular circumstances.

I suggest you consider what you got offered, as well as considering rechecks on your papers. Hope it works out for you, but I advise you plan on the basis that you missed out, and if you happen to get a second round offer it will be a happy piece of luck.

All the best.

Advertisement