Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting an garage converted

Options
  • 21-08-2006 8:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Not sure if there is a specific forum for these kinds of questions but does anyone have a rough cost of how much it would be to get a garage (which is already joined onto a house) converted from a garage into a bedroom and possibly replace the garage door with a sliding door or a window.
    I know its a bit vague but i have absolutley no idea of cost, are we talking 5 grand or 10 grand... etc

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hi
    Not sure if there is a specific forum for these kinds of questions but does anyone have a rough cost of how much it would be to get a garage (which is already joined onto a house) converted from a garage into a bedroom and possibly replace the garage door with a sliding door or a window.
    I know its a bit vague but i have absolutley no idea of cost, are we talking 5 grand or 10 grand... etc

Cheers

There is a DIY forum and housing/accommodation forum. Better suited there I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Yook

kearnsr wrote:
    There is a DIY forum and housing/accommodation forum. Better suited there I'd say

Don't you mean, "There is an DIY forum." :p

I feel ashamed.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

ah ok, mods feel free to move. cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

€50k - €70k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Moved from AH.

• Advertisement

rb_ie wrote:
    €50k - €70k
    really? that expensive?? hardly!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,406 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

rb_ie wrote:
    €50k - €70k
    Depending on how well built it was originally, it could be alot cheaper than that.
    Can you describe the construction of it.

Well the house itself was built around 1990
    Its a four bedroom semi with a garage attached to the right hand side of it, at the back of the garage there is a utility room with a shower and toilet there
    The garage itself is about 18ft X 9ft (guesstimation)

All I can see that it would need is walls plastered, rads installed and garage door removed and sliding doors or window built in..

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Fingalian

I know someone that had the garage converted last year. Cost was about 17 grand. It involved moving a toilet and shower from one end to the other and associated plumbing.Raising the floor by installing joists on top of the existing concrete floor and insulating that and then covering all that with a plywood subfloor. Putting in a ceiling and slabbed the walls with foil backed insulated plasterboard. All taped up and plastered. Existing door removed and replaced with French doors(they cost a grand).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I presume that the entrance into the garage is through the utility room.
    Will you be keeping this as the entrance to the bedroom after the conversion or would you be looking to knock through a new door from your hallway?
    If you are looking at putting a new door in then this will increase the cost of the job significantly.
    All I can see that it would need is walls plastered, rads installed and garage door removed and sliding doors or window built in.
    You’ll need to insulate the floor, walls & ceiling. Also, what type of flooring are you thinking of laying? That can be quite an expense in itself.

• Advertisement

Well i dont necessarily need a door to the hall as there is a back door in the utility room or we could put sliding doors on the front where the garage door is

(the utility room also connects to the kitchen)

would want to get wooden floors in there too..

17 grand, a bit more than i had expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The 17 grand included quite a bit of rework on the toilet/shower plumbing that you won't need. Ring around for a few quotes. I'd be surprised if it came to more than 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Depends what you want, tbh. Got ours done, pretty much put a floor in, and a window/door @ the end. Doubt it cost that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,406 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

probably be in the range of 5k-15k.
    Depend on few factors like if the walls/floor etc need to be insulated, or if they already are. If the plumbing for the rads needs to be laid accross the whole floor, or if the existing pipes are close to the wall.
    Also, materials you choose will affect price, quaility of doors and flooring for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

rb_ie wrote:
    €50k - €70k

He is only converting a garage. That is a ridiculous figure. As Mellor said anything from €5 - €15 depending on what exactly you have in mind.

Advertisement