Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding a good Recording Studio in Dublin

Options
  • 21-08-2006 10:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi everyone, i am looking for a good recording studio with good enough prices for the day - can anyone reccommend any in Dublin??? Any information at all would be gratefull thanks.

Lucy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

It depends entirely what and how you want to record. Are you recording a full band? What instruments? What kind of music?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lucy loo

I'm looking to record solo songs but i dont play any instruments i would have to ask the studio to come up with the music for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I can't think of any studio that will present you with songs. For a start there's ownership of music and messy legal things, finding music that suits you and giving you an opportunity to write lyrics if you want. You should perhaps consider putting an ad up in the bands/musicians forum and hook up with a songwriter or band and then, when you have something to record, consider booking a studio. Do you have a style of music you'd like to play?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

lucy loo wrote:
    I'm looking to record solo songs but i dont play any instruments i would have to ask the studio to come up with the music for me.
    Lucy, as poster said, I don't know of any studios willing to do that.

However, you might contact somewhere like STS who might have a student wanting to add to his portfolio by doing some work with you. Usually you need to have your own MIDI files, don't go expecting to walk in anywhere and have the music provided on tap for you (unless your Mariah Carey!).

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

You might be in luck, take a look at Fast Lane Studio in Dublin, go to Prices, "Singers", Package 3. Might be what you're after?

To quote their site:

"With this package you can come out to the studio on the first day and work with our producer to write music for your song. Then we start to record what ever is needed in the song (Drums, bass, Guitars and Various other instruments) with a session musician for the rest of that day and part of the next. Once that is done you put down the Vocal Track. Depending on the song it can take between 4 and 8 hours the next day to Mix and Master"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lucy loo

HI, thanks for all the advise - its actually cover songs that i wanted to do not my own stuff, as i said its only a hobbie of mine. so i think there are a few studio's around dublin that will do the music for me thanks for all ur comments.

Lucy loo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

I've done this before for a few people and here's we did it: We started with basic MIDI backing tracks of the songs, put the vocals over and then worked a little on the backing vocals, some live instruments and making the backing tracks a bit cooler by tweaking the MIDI programming and sounds. It's not exactly the best way to make a professional record for release but if you're after something simple to get the ball rolling it's perfect.
    The best way to do it is come up with a budget you're happy with (the more you pay the better it SHOULD (!!) sound, tell the studio you have less than you really do and when you get what seems like a deal ask what more they'll give you for that extra bit of cash eg a bit of basic final mastering, a musician they know etc. Producing a recording is as much about getting the most of your cash/time/resources as it is being creative, (that's why we're called producers not musical directors). One thing you should also do is do everything possible to get on with your engineer, even a solid pro will go the extra inch for someone they like and in the world of recording music tiny things can make the difference.
    Good luck!

Advertisement