Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Difference Between 1.3's

Options
  • 21-08-2006 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

Would there be much of a difference in insurance between larger and smaller 1.3 litre cars, e.g. a Starlet and a Corolla saloon - exact same engine (well mid-late '90s they were), but the Corolla's obviously a much bigger car (probably a bit slower too).

I ask because being a 21 year-old male on a first provisional with my kind of budget, a year's insurance will be more than the actual car. But it seems I can get a better deal on a bigger car - smaller things like Starlets and Polos seem to go for more than newer small saloons (see the Buy & Sell with people trying to sell '92 Starlets for over a grand FFS) - but will the extra insurance negate this?

And will insurance vary a lot between similar cars? I know Civics will be more for obvious reasons, but what about comparing say a Corolla to a Mazda 323 or Nissan Almera?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

AFAIK, most cars are classed according to their power but demographics come into play also. eg. Most civics belong to young males so they are put into a different class.

for eg. I drive a 1.4 petrol and I got a quote on a 1.9 TDI, it turns out to be the exact same because the power is the same. I have also got the exact same quote on other similiar power cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I've done a lot of research into it (I had to unfortunately :D )

For me these were the quotes I got as a 22 year old male with 0 ncb and 5 year provisional with an Offaly address.

99 Vauxhall Astra 1.6 €1681 fully comp
    00 Peugeot 106 1.4 €1390 3rd party
    97 Mazda 323F 1.5 €1644 3rd party
    99 VW Passat 1.9tdi €1781 3rd party
    99 VW Passat 1.6 €1690 3rd party
    98 Renault Laguna 1.6 €1678 3rd party
    99 Citroen Saxo 1.4 (sporty model, can't remember the name) €1390 3rd party.

What I finally went with was a 98 civic 1.4 srs which I got €1456 3rd party.

Most quotes were from Quinn but there were a few which I can't remember. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

I've just changed my car from a Fiat Punto 1.2l to a Ford Focus 1.6l and my insurance hasnt changed at all.
    I'm 23, female on a provisional with 1 years ncb and Im paying 866e tpft.
    I know its different for lads, but she said something to me about the two cars being in the same group so it didnt change.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

5 years provisional? :eek:

wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Stephen wrote:
    5 years provisional? :eek:

wtf?

/lazyness

I wasn't actually on the road for 3 of those years so just pushed the test to one side. Gonna get it done soon tho!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭junii

I have a full licence since last November and im 21. I paying 1720 on a 94 1.4 sunny. Why is it that the age of the car makes such a significant difference?

Advertisement