Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone got spare power switch from a pc case for a car-pc project

Options
  • 21-08-2006 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

i have a car pc which has a power switch soldered to the mobo, i want to solder another one to it (external one)

is it possible to have 2 swtiches soldfered to the same points?? will this make a difference

also has anyone got a spare power switch from a ANY pc case....???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

I've a few around i think.. pm me ur addy n i'll post u one...

I take it ur talking about the switch that connects to the mobo, not the phsical button on the case??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

unklerosco wrote:
    I've a few around i think.. pm me ur addy n i'll post u one...

I take it ur talking about the switch that connects to the mobo, not the phsical button on the case??

yeh thats what i mean the switch that connects to the mobo ;)

is it ok to connect multiple swtiches to the same plug , ie have say 2 swtiches plugged into the pw switch header on the mobo?

I have no idea.. I doubt it

unklerosco wrote:
    I have no idea.. I doubt it

hmm i dont see why it would make a difference but im not sure either :(

anyone any experience with this???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I would assume, that to turn the pc on 1 swtich would need to be on. And to turn it off, both would need to be off.

• Advertisement

Well all the switch does is bridge the points for a split second, thats it.. Sure i've been using the end of a pen to start my project pc for the last month.. I don't see how having two switch's could do any harm..

krazy_8s wrote:
    I would assume, that to turn the pc on 1 swtich would need to be on. And to turn it off, both would need to be off.

pc switches dont work like that

you can switch on a pc and disconnect the switch and it will stay on

there is a certain name for the switches it uses i cant remember what the name is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Theres no logical reason why you cant have multiple power switchs? Like unklerosco said the voltage isn't constant to the mobo through the switch. All you have to make sure is that all the switchs are debouncing ones.

yeh should be fine, have to be careful with soldering it though as heat can damage the mobo if the iron is left in contact oo long or too hot :(

i HATE soldering hahah, il have to practice on something 1st

are the switches u have ones that are not contantly on or off when switched, uncle???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

gline wrote:
    there is a certain name for the switches it uses i cant remember what the name is
    Momentary contact

Momentary contact

thanks ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Momentary contact

Or Latch Switch. (Which really refers to the mechanism inside the PC that keeps it on, the switch itself is, as Sean says, a momentary contact push button switch)

thanks for the info guys, from what i can gather then it is ok to solder another switch on

il give it a shot and see how i get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

dont see why it would be bad... just leave the mobo one on and use the onr you put in the front as the power switch

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Dont solder directly to the pins on the motherboard, just splice into the existing cable, and either switch will turn it on....

Speaking of switches..... Im making a CMOS clear switch for my PC :) Im going to get a military style cover like this:

Step-1_Switch.jpg

To avoid any accidents:p

conzymaher wrote:
    Dont solder directly to the pins on the motherboard, just splice into the existing cable, and either switch will turn it on....

Speaking of switches..... Im making a CMOS clear switch for my PC :) Im going to get a military style cover like this:

To avoid any accidents:p

cant do that as there is no cables soldered to the mobo it is the actual legs of the switch directly soldered to the mobo so i will have to solder my switch onto the bottom of the mobo

Advertisement