Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st Of September

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

alicaffrey wrote:
    i dont understand what the difference is if there sitting.....youd only shoot a rabbit when it is sitting (with a rifle) never when its running cause that would be too difficult and no one says unsporting when you'd shoot a rabbit like that.....but thats fine if its illegal or that i wouldnt i just wanted to know thats all...but do u see were i was coming from

I was under the impression that game of the feathered variety can only be shot with a shotgun!

As for shooting sitting game birds.. thats just not what this sport is about :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Its all about sport theres no skill involved in going down to a lake and shooting ducks off it with a rifle but you go after rabbits and its a different story rabbits have excellent hearing and will hear you coming. The sport in shooting ducks is shooting them in the air.

Also shooting a rifle into water or the sky is extremely dangerous a bullet will ricochet off water and could land any where and same with shooting in the air

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Its all about sport theres no skill involved in going down to a lake and shooting ducks off it with a rifle but you go after rabbits and its a different story rabbits have excellent hearing and will hear you coming. The sport in shooting ducks is shooting them in the air.

Also shooting a rifle into water or the sky is extremely dangerous a bullet will ricochet off water and could land any where and same with shooting in the air

sums up what i feel about it really

its not a challenge to shoot ducks on a pond with a rifle, in fact shooting ducks on a pond/river with a rifle should be interchangeable with "shooting fish in a barrel"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Hence the expression ... "Like a sitting duck" .
    Meaning, a target that is too easy .

jaycee wrote:
    Hence the expression ... "Like a sitting duck" .
    Meaning, a target that is too easy .

man i fell dumb after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭jcatony

Vegeta wrote:
    Nice 3 mallard is a decent return. I shot 3 diver on the opening but no mallard.

I must go out again this weekend for an early morning.

Do you bring a retriever?
    Most but not all of the lads i shoot with have dogs but i cannot as i am living in an apartment. Will be moving soon to a new house though. A friend of mine advised me to get an english setter.

jcatony wrote:
    Do you bring a retriever?
    Most but not all of the lads i shoot with have dogs but i cannot as i am living in an apartment. Will be moving soon to a new house though. A friend of mine advised me to get an english setter.

I didn't on the first this year as where we were shooting didn't need one.

It is tough to get a good jack of all trade dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭jeffshc1

You people kill defenseless animals with guns?!?

Good hunting! (safety first):D

I haven’t been hunting in years but something about the front of my car seems to bring then into my path. Deer and birds alike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭mallards

If they've got guns, they're definitely not defenceless!

• Advertisement
Advertisement