Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny- the poorest county in Leinster

• 21-08-2006 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭

I was reading on the indo the other day that according to CSO stats Kilkenny is statistically the poorest county in Leinster.
    Our per capita income figures fall behind our Leinster neighbours, with the other south east counties not far behind us either.
    Places were traditionally high emigration and lower industry/agricultural counties like Longford/Westmh etc now have higher incomes than us...

This is some fall from grace for KK, and an indication of how neglected the county has been under 10 years of FF/PD rule. Not that onme would need to read the income stats, you would just have to look around at the road and other infrastructure that has been allowed to stagnate for the last 20 years.

John McGuinness T.D. must be very proud of his 'achievements' alright..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

mfitzy wrote:
    I was reading on the indo the other day that according to CSO stats Kilkenny is statistically the poorest county in Leinster.
    Our per capita income figures fall behind our Leinster neighbours, with the other south east counties not far behind us either.
    Places were traditionally high emigration and lower industry/agricultural counties like Longford/Westmh etc now have higher incomes than us...

This is some fall from grace for KK, and an indication of how neglected the county has been under 10 years of FF/PD rule. Not that onme would need to read the income stats, you would just have to look around at the road and other infrastructure that has been allowed to stagnate for the last 20 years.

John McGuinness T.D. must be very proud of his 'achievements' alright..

Frankly that's amazing. Even Limerick, with 20 years of serious neglect, still holds it's own in those stats.

It's terrifying just how much damage a bad TD can do. (or looking at Galway, just how much a good one can do)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Frankly that's amazing. Even Limerick, with 20 years of serious neglect, still holds it's own in those stats.

It's terrifying just how much damage a bad TD can do. (or looking at Galway, just how much a good one can do)

Yes, but look closely at Limerick and you'll find it has been well looked after in terms of IDA attention, infrastructure and education.

In the past twenty years, it has got a decent dual carriageway bypass, a university, and significant IDA backed investment in form of Dell and others.
    I don't begrudge them one bit either. On the other hand KK has got SFA form the government, thanks to people here voting in non-entities like McGuinness with the result that KK is ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

That doesn't surprise me. I'm a blow-in and I still can't get used to the rubbish roads leading to the place, the substandard public transport (there isn't even a commuter train out of the city) and the struggles to get anything past the city fathers. If you took tourism and Avonmore out of Kilkenny, you wouldn't be left with a lot else. I lived for part of my life in the midlands and it's clear how that region has benefitted from having a minister. If voters in Kilkenny didn't vote in anyone from Fianna Fail in the next general election, FF wouldn't be long about dishing out some ministerial niceties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,430 ✭✭✭✭road_high

allie_e17 wrote:
    That doesn't surprise me. I'm a blow-in and I still can't get used to the rubbish roads leading to the place, the substandard public transport (there isn't even a commuter train out of the city) and the struggles to get anything past the city fathers. If you took tourism and Avonmore out of Kilkenny, you wouldn't be left with a lot else. I lived for part of my life in the midlands and it's clear how that region has benefitted from having a minister. If voters in Kilkenny didn't vote in anyone from Fianna Fail in the next general election, FF wouldn't be long about dishing out some ministerial niceties

You're so right, even in the last election Bertie promised a ministry whilst campaigning in KK if FF got 3 seats here. They did get it but low and behold we didn't the ministry. I wasn't surprised really though when people of such dismal ability as MJ Nolan and J McGuinness got in. One thing is for sure there won't be three FF tds returned the next time..

On the train service, we finally got an early morning one to Dublin after years of begging, 6.49am to Heuston! Interestingly, you say you lived in the Midlands; Athlone, a town similar size to KK got an early morning train to Dublin since the late 1980s!! We had to wait til 2006. Also Longford, has had the same since the 90s. These two towns are slightly further from Dublin into the bargain!! Thanks Albert Reynolds and Mary O'Rourke indeed!

Compare also the N6 and N4 roads to Dublin with the N9/10 from Kilkenny and there is just no comparison in road quality either.
    I feel very strongly about how we continually get passed over in the south east and Kilkenny, it's just not fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Hopefully the people of Kilkenny will vote with the bigger picture in mind come the next election. Fianna Fáil deserve to have their complacent asses kicked and the only way to do this is to not vote in any of their candidates. I would say the same thing about the other parties as well - I've no political allegiance

• Advertisement
Advertisement