Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Salt Alternative?

• 21-08-2006 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭

I have been told by my doctor that my high salt intake is damaging my health. It is aggravating my asthma and contributing to high blood pressure.

I pour lots of salt on everything, and I find I can't eat food without salt - I simply don't like the taste of food that has not been flavoured with salt.

I am also hooked on salty snacks, as opposed to sweet treats.

Can somebody please suggest a salt alternative.

Something that gives a similar flavour, with fewer damaging side effects.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Aromat all the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

just cut down your salt intake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

county wrote:
    just cut down your salt intake

Lol, I hear ya, thats what my Mam keeps saying to me, but I really feel like it is an addiction.
    I know it sounds mental to say that I am addicted to salt, but I crave it throughout the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    Lol, I hear ya, thats what my Mam keeps saying to me, but I really feel like it is an addiction.
    I know it sounds mental to say that I am addicted to salt, but I crave it throughout the day.
    Go cold turkey on it, it's probably the bast way to get off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

There's quite a high salt content in semen, you'd better cut that out.

Seriosly though, aromat is a decent substitute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

fade2black wrote:
    Aromat all the way.
    One of the main ingredients in Aromat is monoSODIUMglutamate.
    otherwise known as MSG.
    you can buy lo-salt which is potassium chloride but i am not sure it is any better for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've cut back on salt recently too & know where you're coming from.
    Switch to the low sodium salt (mentioned by CJ) - You can get it in any decent supermarket.
    Edit: I presume that the lo-salt is better as there is less sodium in it. Of course - the potassium could have other knock-on effects.

I'd advise against the cold-turkey approach as your food would taste sh1te to you until your taste buds adapt. Start using less & less & work from there.

Maybe try & cut out using salt when cooking your food & only season it on the plate. Or vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Aromat is a bad idea, it's a salt.

A good idea would be to start to learn how to use fresh herbs in your cooking, it is possible to get flavour elsewhere, I use very little salt in my cooking, some people accuse me of under seasoning, at which point I show them where the rock salt grinder is.
    Maybe look for some stuff from the healthy heart initiative that is rolled out in a lot of canteens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I'm not proposing lemon juice as an all-purpose salt substitute or anything, but if you like salty food then you probably like strong flavours in general, and lemon juice can really add flavour to a lot of dishes (sauces, curries, Mexican dishes, salads, fish, steaks).
    It won't work with everything, but try seasoning some of the above foods by squeezing a lemon wedge before reaching for the salt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Mrs_Doyle wrote:
    Can somebody please suggest a salt alternative.
    Sorry, but there just isn't a Candarell for salt!

I used to be like you. After a while when you stop drenching everything in salt your natural ability to taste things comes back and you'll find you won't miss it as much as you did initially.

Just hang in there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement