Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

aggressive m8....

• 21-08-2006 1:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭

hey,
    **okay here you all go, post-abbreviations**!!
    i've bin best of matess with this lad for about 6 or 7 years, but in the last year or two he has become continuously more aggresive, he did transittion year in skool, and joined me in fifth year, having made another good mate in ty, the three of us get on brilliantly........most of the time, but during the last year iv had to pull one off the other two or three times, it happend recently, really bad, friend no.1 literally said "when i get my fists free ur gone have a bloody f*cking nose"......we had him pinned on the floor as he was raging, i had to pull him off mate no2 and then hold him back...but given a few hours and he pretends nothing has happened, and will expect when we see him again that everthing will be normal, and he doesnt just fight with this one mate, he also started a fight with a guy in class one day, its unreal, and definitely not a nice expieience to pull ur best mate off ur other best mate, what the f*ck am i supposed to do!?

happy now :-), sorry, just in a rush and there wasnt that many!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

ahh - textspeak and they say english is going down the drain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

muletide wrote:
    ahh - textspeak and they say english is going down the drain
    what is a m8?

Edit out that textspeak if you want anyone to reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

could we have a translation please. Typos are one thing.. i make enough of them, but this hard to decipher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

If your going to make condescending replies then at least do it with style, its new-speak not textspeak. Orwell knew about this ages ago!!

In any case to OP, tell your friends to stop acting like children, or better yet just get new mates. Fact of the matter is the fighting spirit should of been hammered out of them in primary school, if they're still unable to behave themselves then you should find friends who can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Hellm0 wrote:
    If your going to make condescending replies then at least do it with style, its new-speak not textspeak. Orwell knew about this ages ago!!
    It does in fact bare no resemblance to Newspeak;) note the presence of synonymous adjectives, and reference to his friends (m8), both of which would be impossible in Newspeak

• Advertisement

Hellm0 wrote:

nothing to do with newspeak.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspeak

it is just bad diction and incomprehensible

Gramatically your right, however in concept the persistant abbreviation does bare resembelance to new-speak in that it is a intentional mutilation of syntax and a simplification of meaning due to the reduced vocabulary(a side-effect of the maximum message size).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

i had to pull him off m8 no2 and then hold him back...but given a few hours and he pretends nothing has happened, and will expect wen we see him again that everthing will be normal, and he doesnt just fight with this one m8, he also started a fight with a guy in class one day, its unreal, and definitely not a nice expieience to pull ur best m8 off ur other best m8, wtf am i supposed to do!?

Well just don't let everything be "normal" again after this happens. If he behaves like this again give him the cold shoulder and tell him you can't be his mate if he continues to behave like a wild animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Hellm0 wrote:
    Gramatically your right

YOU'RE not ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭no leaf clover

Miss Fluff wrote:
    Well just don't let everything be "normal" again after this happens. If he behaves like this again give him the cold shoulder and tell him you can't be his mate if he continues to behave like a wild animal.

hey, thanks, i think thats a good idea, might make him realise his mistake, worst thing is he's older than me and he acts like a baby!!

• Advertisement

I happen to think that picking at someones grammer or spelling is just a personal attack and has nothing to do whatsoever with the point they are attempting to convey!

why thank you hellmo! i didnt realise people were so touchy bout a few abbreviations,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Does anyone read this forums charter?!

For No Leaf:
    Text Speak is possibly the most annoying thing EVAR to try and read! It makes you sound 14, and as such, people are likely to view your post as some teenage angst post. Hence your use of txt spk may result in incorrect advice due to misunderstandings from illegibility (if the post is your first post of the thread), unintentionally annoying posters and causing lingual aggravation, and in the worst case scenario it can get your post binned.

For everyone else:
    Any advice given should be mature, contructive and non-abusive. Opinions are welcome. Ridicule and nastiness are not.

thanks, i have no problem writing properly, but out of curiosity, why would teenage angst be irrelevant? or do i misunderstand you on that one?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

thanks, i have no problem writing properly, but out of curiosity, why would teenage angst be irrelevant?

Because for anyone over the age of 18, it is.
    Most posters on Boards, are over that age.

From what I can glean from you first comment, your friend is acting like an asshole and you what to know what to do about it.
    It's simple, sit him down and explain your concerns, ask him if there is anything wrong. There is a possibility that perhaps he is having some trouble at home or elsewhere and maybe acting out. That of course is just a guess as none of us know him. Either way, ask him.

cheers, will do,

thanks for that change in the post..appreciated.

OK No-leaf, here is my take on it. His behaviour is totally unacceptable. not only has he struck his best mate, but also he as started a fight with someone else.

If you continue to associate with somene who definitely has anger management issues then A) you could be next and B) if you are out and something kicks him off, you could get drawn into something you really dont want.

If he is not willing to moderate or seek advice for his behaviour i would just let him go as a friend
    You can tell him this in fairness, but it is up to him to change not you.

As for teenage angst: well thats ok, i would have loved to have someone older giving me advice when i was going through it.

As for teenage angst: well thats ok, i would have loved to have someone older giving me advice when i was going through it.

heheh isnt the internet great, yeh, like the thing is he's in my class in school and but for myself and other friend he'd be on his tod, the couple of times its happened i've been fairly sure he wouldnt hit me because there has been years of a strong friendship, but he did try go for me the last time, which, yeh, is not on so for the time being i shall ride it out, and next time he approaches us, deal with it, thanks a mill,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

Im fairly sure who it is, But Im not going to ask and be sure.
    ld suggest trying to get him to go to the... school counciler? (If that thats the right word) Tho I dont know if you could get him there

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Your mate who fights without provocation needs to grow up, or stop acting as if he is auditioning for the children's roles for a remake of the Brave Heart film. Be very direct with him the next time it happens. What would Popeye say? "Shape up or ship out!"

• Advertisement

"Shape up or ship out!"

hee hee hee.....might i not lose my ability to lecture about growing up if i use this term!!!:D :D
    Im fairly sure who it is, But Im not going to ask and be sure.

heheh ssshhhhh, i mite do that yeh, i was gona last year but never got to it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Could your friend be taking drugs OP?. I know that you are teenagers and the likelihood of you smoking hash etc is quite high(I'm really not trying to gernalise....that really is just my opinion). Drugs like steriods are known to cause mood swings and agression. If this behaviour is recent and out of the blue, this could well be the cause?.

Just something to be aware of.

thanks, although i dont think he would, im well aware of how easy it would be if you wanted it, might look a bit more into that, he was drunk on the last occasion, but no such excuse on the others. cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Your friend has some problem he's not talking about. Now I know young lads don't like to talk about "stuff", but if he was really your friend you would. Guys that act in the way he's acting, sooner or latter end up on the recieving end of a solid kicking. If you don't want to see it happen, talk to him. what spared the violence. You might not think something is major but he could. It's amazing how angry I was as a kid about "stuff", which had I talked to someone about, it would have lifted a huge weight.

couple of suggestions for possible routes of a problem; Girl worries, Family trouble, money, academic worries, drugs, sexuality ect ect.

Ps, don't try to talk to him while drunk.

Carnivore wrote:
    Girl worries, Family trouble, money, academic worries

.nail..on.......head!!! but how do i approach that? ask a councillor in school?

Advertisement