Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moylaragh , Balbriggan

Options
  • 21-08-2006 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I moved to Moylaragh about 3 years ago and there has always been a smell of sewage from time to time depending on the weather coming from the house. Has anyone else experienced this ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Sinister

moylaragh eh. there's the seafood processing plant behind sonopress, not always your typical fish smell either. there can also be a harbour smell after a good sea rain. you know the smell when the tide is out.
    maybe the sewage pipes back up a bit after a good down pour.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Sinister wrote:
    there can also be a harbour smell after a good sea rain. you know the smell when the tide is out.
    maybe the sewage pipes back up a bit after a good down pour.

Rubbish, I've never experienced a smell of sewage from the see in Balbriggan. Never. The shore line around Balbriggan is such that there is quite a large long shore drift. Also the sewage and the rain water collection systems are seperate.

OP: What type of weather is is when your experiencing the smell? What direction is the prevailing wind?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

maybe there is a manhole out your back garden which is loose? perhaps the smell is drifting in depending on the direction of the wind (which is normally from the west).

September meeting
    BSA/281/06

SEWERAGE ODOURS AROUND MOYLARAGH

It was proposed by Councillor C. Daly, seconded by Councillor A. Devitt:

"This committee expresses its concern over the ongoing problems of significant sewerage odours which prevail in and around Moylaragh in particular, but also some parts of North West – Balbriggan and requests an explanation of the cause of this problem, the steps necessary to resolve it, and whom the responsibility for resolving it rests with."

The following report by the Manager which had been circulated was READ:

The Council’s Building Control Section has received complaints from residents about sewage odours in Moylaragh Estate, Balbriggan, over the last few months.

The Council has been in contact with the developer of Moylaragh. The odours were a result of internal house plumbing problems. The developer corrected the problems in the houses as they came to light. If any more residents of Moylaragh have problems with their house plumbing, they should bring it to the attention of the Council’s Building Control Section, who will organise for the developer to remedy them.

Following discussion the Committee NOTED the foregoing report.

The meeting concluded at 4.10pm

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Strange..

In Newhaven, just up from Moylaragh, the smell gets really bad at nite. You can smell it inside the houses but it only lasts for around 2 hours..

Are you still experiencing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭bubonicus

Bluetonic wrote:
    Rubbish, I've never experienced a smell of sewage from the see in Balbriggan. Never. The shore line around Balbriggan is such that there is quite a large long shore drift.

ahahahahahahahahaahahahaahahahaaa lol, new in the town maybe??????

bubonicus wrote:
    ahahahahahahahahaahahahaahahahaaa lol, new in the town maybe??????

No, living in the town all my life which is spread over 4 decades.

Just to clarify I've never experienced the 'smell' of raw sewage from the sea in Balbriggan. Don't mistake the smell of silt and pollution from the harbour as the 'smell' of sewage. Also note that I'm not saying there is no sewage in the sea, I'm simply saying I've never experienced a smell from it. I hope that clears things up.

If I had of known it was going to get such a comic reaction I'd have added it into a comedy routine.

Bluetonic wrote:
    If I had of known it was going to get such a comic reaction I'd have added it into a comedy routine.

It would be a comedy routine that only balbrigganers would get..

Anyway, you should read peoples posts before you go and rubbish their statements.

If you read the line about the harbour, Sinister never said there was a smell of sewege from the harbour. He implied that a land luber might mistake the smell of silt and pollution from the harbour as sewege.

I wonder if you know that for years the sewege pipe down in front of Hampton Cove was burst just 20 metres out to sea, and on a low tide you could see raw sewege flowing out of it into the sea.

bubonicus wrote:
    I wonder if you know that for years the sewege pipe down in front of Hampton Cove was burst just 20 metres out to sea, and on a low tide you could see raw sewege flowing out of it into the sea.

Indeed, it only added to the nice plump mackerel we'd catch down there, well when I say mackerel the majority of the time I mean sanitary towels.

I know that area like the back of my hand.

Bluetonic wrote:
    Indeed, it only added to the nice plump mackerel we'd catch down there, well when I say mackerel the majority of the time I mean sanitary towels.

I know that area like the back of my hand.

ditto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Bluetonic, I'd say I must know you....

Perhaps.

Nice photo of the ****ty pipe attached.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement