Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skincare

• 21-08-2006 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭

I am looking to invest in some good skincare... I'm just wondering if anyone has any good/bad experience with particular brands. I was thinking of getting the Clinique 3 step system, but I've had 2 consultation- thingys and each person has told me a different regieme...and if I'm going to spend that much money on skindare stuff I want it to be a miracle worker!!! (poor student you see...). Are there any products/brands that are particularly good - I don't mind paying a little extra as lon gas it actually works!!!

My skin tends to break out a lot, it has an oily t-zone (with blackheads:mad:) but can also be dry and tight on my cheeks...so I'm guessing combination skin...but it is also quite sensitive, so any stringent substances are a no-no. I just want something to clear it up and make it beautiful:D ...but any of those "problem skin" products tend to be too harsh and not moisturising enough on my cheeks...Oh and a good sensitive make-up remover would also be fab - can't seem to find any good one thats won't dry out my skin!

All advice appreciated!
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭tovalee

I think your best best would be to get a consultation with a dermatologist or at the very least, someone at a reputable cosmetics counter. You need to find out whats causing your breakouts before you treat them. Hormomes, diet, makeup clogging pores etc. But just going on what youve said, it sounds like you may be cleaning your skin too harshly, that can irritate sensitive skin and dry it out, which can cause blocked pores, which can cause breakouts .. Have you tried using a cream based cleaner like Noxema or Olay? hope it was of some help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Oobie

My skin isn't overly sensitive but I find that Clinique products are way too harsh. Have you tried going for a facial?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I myself I have sensitive skin and my face is super-sensitive. Clinique and Clarins drive my skin nuts.

The one I found works best for me in the Boots No 7 range. It is hypoallergenic and is the only one which doesn't bring me out in a rash. It also has the benefit of being reasonably priced (even for a student pocket).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I use the Liz Earle stuff, cleanser and moisturiser. I find it very good and reasonably priced, seeing as how it lasts for ages. You have to buy it from their website, though, and pay for the shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

I have very sensitive skin and find the Clinique stuff way way too harsh. I use the Dermalogicia products and find them excellent. They are a little on the expensive side but well worth it and last a long time too. You have to go to a beauty salon to buy these and they prescribe each product specifically for you and your skin type. There are a few salons in Dublin that do them, I don't have the links to hand but if you google it you should find the information you need.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Cheers for theFeedback!

I use a cream cleanser at the mo (olay) but I find even it is quite drying...??! My diet is quite good (lots of fresh fruit and veg...the odd indugence tho!)...so I guess its hormonal, which is kinda ridiculous really seeing as I'm nearly 20 - thought all that stuff was puberty affiliated....?

I've tried the Clinique stuff (testers) and it seems to be ok - left my skin feeling lovely...but I dunno what it would be like long-term...

Never gone for a facial, although now I'm tempted...any recommendations?

Will have a look at the No7 stuff and Liz Earle.
    Thanks again

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Lancolm ftw...

Cheers for theFeedback!

I use a cream cleanser at the mo (olay) but I find even it is quite drying...??! My diet is quite good (lots of fresh fruit and veg...the odd indugence tho!)...so I guess its hormonal, which is kinda ridiculous really seeing as I'm nearly 20 - thought all that stuff was puberty affiliated....?

I've tried the Clinique stuff (testers) and it seems to be ok - left my skin feeling lovely...but I dunno what it would be like long-term...

Never gone for a facial, although now I'm tempted...any recommendations?

Will have a look at the No7 stuff and Liz Earle.
    Thanks again

Never gone for a facial!!! You don't know what you're missing out on. Where do you live? If its in or near Dublin City there are loads of good salons I can recommend. Paulines Beauty Salon on Baggot Street is great. Its a one woman operation, run funnily enough by Pauline and she is such a nice woman, also the best leg waxer I have ever been to. She doesn't do Dermalogica products but her facials are still lovely. There is a salon at the top of Grafton Street called Heaven (to the best of my knowledge) and they do Dermalogica facials as do the Nail and Beauty Bars which are all over the place.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

kizzyr wrote:
    Never gone for a facial!!! You don't know what you're missing out on. Where do you live? If its in or near Dublin City there are loads of good salons I can recommend. Paulines Beauty Salon on Baggot Street is great. Its a one woman operation, run funnily enough by Pauline and she is such a nice woman, also the best leg waxer I have ever been to. She doesn't do Dermalogica products but her facials are still lovely. There is a salon at the top of Grafton Street called Heaven (to the best of my knowledge) and they do Dermalogica facials as do the Nail and Beauty Bars which are all over the place.

I'v never gone for one either tbh but I'v been meaning to... What exactly does she do? And what sort of prices are they? I have very sensitive skin so I'd be worried I'd come away with a rash or something from their products :o

Probably just being paranoid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭bragan

I have the excat same type of skin.Sensitive to alot of products, can be oily, was prone to break outs. I was recommended the Virgin Vie products, at a make up party, and i haven't looked back since. You can buy online, or from a local consultant.

I use the stay calm cleaning lotion and facial mist. It is specially designed for sensitive skin. I use the Perfect Balance Shine Manager Mattifying Day Cream as my day moistuiser, which controls oil production.
    I have found these have worked wonders.

http://www.virgincosmetics.com/public/index.asp

• Advertisement

xzanti wrote:
    I'v never gone for one either tbh but I'v been meaning to... What exactly does she do? And what sort of prices are they? I have very sensitive skin so I'd be worried I'd come away with a rash or something from their products :o

Probably just being paranoid
    The Dermalogica ones I've been banging on about (sorry) cost about € 50.00. When the therapist meets with you they get you to fill in a form about your skin, when you're prone to break outs, where its dry or oily etc and they discuss your skin care routine and lifestyle with you. Then your face is cleansed, exfoliated, treated with a masque, cleansed again, any blemishes etc you may have are treated, moisturised, usually with a neck and top of shoulder massage and off you go. Its bliss and takes about an hour. Then they discuss their findings with you and tell you what their product recommendations would be. The first time I had one of these I asked for some samples because my skin is very sensitive I wanted to be sure that their stuff would suit my skin before I splashed out. Most places should be happy enough to do this for you as its a perfectly reasonable request.
    Most salons would follow a routine like this for a facial, not only is it about doing something nice for your skin but it can be a real time out from your busy life too. Be warned though that if you have one on a Saturday it may not be ideal to head out on the town that night as they can bring any spots etc to the fore as your skin is cleansing itself! They are usually gone by the next day though.

Advertisement