Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MAD Introductory MTB Course

Options
  • 21-08-2006 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

During the month of September the Mountainbiking Association of Dublin will run a 5-week series of rides for people who want to take up mountainbiking or feel the need to improve. Each week the elite MAD trail guides will lead you around a new area, providing advice and support. There will also be a demonstration on the basics of bike maintenance.

Check out our beginners pages for details of what you'll need to bring. If you have any questions or just want to let us know you're interested, email beginners@madmtb.com.

We'll provide an update with full details each week, including directions. The general plan is as follows.

Date...........................Venue..................Maintenence
    Saturday Sept 2nd........Masseys Wood.......General bike setup
    Saturday Sept 9th........Kindlestown...........Puncture repair
    Saturday Sept 16th.......Leadmines............Headset and v-brakes
    Sunday Sept 24th.........Three Rock...........Chain repair
    Saturday Sept 30th.......Slade Valley..........Gears

http://www.madmtb.com/2006/08/mad-introductory-mtb-course.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Interesting. Can you give us cost information?

The other question I have is if were possible to attend some but not all days (consecutive Saturdays for a month might be tough to make)?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

EMail sent Morgan !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Jeese, this sounds really good, I've been meaning to get into mountain biking ever since I got my mountain bike (!). The timing is unfortunate for me, with holidays in September.

I'm sure you've got it all arranged by now, anyway but this sort of thing would be dead nifty if spread out over 3 months or so, as Trojan says.

Hope you do something like it again !

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Trojan wrote:
    Interesting. Can you give us cost information?

The other question I have is if were possible to attend some but not all days (consecutive Saturdays for a month might be tough to make)?

Cheers.

Cost? Hadn't really thought of that. I think people starting out mtbing will have enough to spend their money on already. Some sweets for the guides would be nice though.

We'd hope people could come along every weekend - the rides will get gradually harder to help people progress. It's no big deal if you miss one though.

If September doesn't suit you can always come on one of our once-off beginners spins - we have one at least once a month.

Morgan wrote:
    Cost? Hadn't really thought of that. I think people starting out mtbing will have enough to spend their money on already. Some sweets for the guides would be nice though.

We'd hope people could come along every weekend - the rides will get gradually harder to help people progress. It's no big deal if you miss one though.

If September doesn't suit you can always come on one of our once-off beginners spins - we have one at least once a month.

fair fooks to you! sounds deadly!! i'll be there (what sweets do the guides like???? :o:o:rolleyes::rolleyes:)

• Advertisement

Looking for a map to MAssey Wood! where is it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 rigel4

Here is some more info for the first spin.

The MAD MTB Beginners Course kicks off on Saturday September 2nd. We'll meet up in the Hellfire Club car park at 10am (directions below). Sean and Morgan will show you how to check your bike over before the ride and how to set it up properly. We'll then have an easy ride around Masseys Wood for about two hours.

Helmets are compulsory on these rides - no exceptions under any circumstances. Check here for a list of what else to bring.

There is no cost for attending these rides but anyone continuing to ride with MAD afterwards must join the club (€20, +€35 Cycling Ireland membership). Sean also likes Jaffa Cakes.

Hellfire Club Directions
    From the Yellow House in Rathfarnham take Willbrook Road south
    Continue along Ballyboden road until you reach the Ballyboden Roundabout
    (you can also get to the roundabout from Grange Road to the east, or the Ballycullen exit of the M50)
    Go straight through the roundabout and take the first right
    Take the first left, up Stocking Lane
    The Hellfire Car park is 2km along, on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Quite tempted to pop along along to this.

and because i'm in a good mood you guys can have a map too. i hope this works!hellfiremapnq6.jpg

hope to see loads of ya there!

Nigel

oh, we'll be meeting in Hellfire carpark for the spin around Masseys wood. it's right beside hellfire on the opposite side of the road! any questions then pm me/morgan!

Nigel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

this sounds like an excellent idea, good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Hey guys,

Unfortunately, due to a conflict, I cannot make the first one (I'm bike touring in the West :)). I will definitely be at the next one - I look forward to it. (I'm skipping the first month of my rugby season for this, don't tell the lads on me ;))

I've been telling some friends about this offline, so there may be a few more coming that haven't replied to you.

Cheers,
    Al.

if anyone needs a lift frmo D15 area ! PM me !! got a rack for the back of the car can fir about 3 bikes and all set for this spin! sould be good laugh!

Morgan cash is ok for Sat?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Drapper wrote:
    if anyone needs a lift frmo D15 area ! PM me !! got a rack for the back of the car can fir about 3 bikes and all set for this spin! sould be good laugh!

Morgan cash is ok for Sat?

Cash is fine if you want to join the club (application form) but there's no charge for the beginners rides.

http://www.madmtb.com/2006/08/mtb-beginners-course-week-1.html

Great spin lads! even if my uphill need allot of work!

Weather this morning added a new dimension !! :-)

(btw yellow tops were bad luck !!)

Advertisement