Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Why is Samsung 27" so much cheaper than 26"?

• 21-08-2006 4:08pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭

I'm comparing these three Samsung LCD TVs on Komplett and wondering why the 27" TVs are cheaper than the smaller 26". Obviously it comes down to some of the stuff I'm ignorant about (as a newbie). So can someone tell me what these features are, or how important they are in terms of making a decision please -

1) Progressive Scan: Apparently the S71 doesn't have it. Is it important?

2) Widescreen modes: the S71 seems to lack any options here. I know what these modes are but I thought every TV could switch between them at this stage. Does the S71 really lack this capability?

3) Is that 7.9cm depth on the S71 for real? How can it only be 1/3 the width of the 26" and still cheaper?

4) I really want to use the TV as a laptop monitor but the S71 says 'HDMI' for 'PC interface' section and yet indicates S-Video and VGA inputs lower down. What's the story with that?

5) The 26" supports a range of DTV resolutions. Does it really matter that the S71 doesn't appear to do likewise?

Thanks in advance for answering my silly questions :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

The 26 incher is an R7 series samsung and they are very highly thought off .
    Also it has lots of extra inputs outputs that neither of the 27 inchers have.

The first 27 incher on the list only has 1 DVI which in terms of amount of inputs is not very good.
    The second 27 incher is pretty good but again only limited inputs and outputs.

The 26 incher gives you much much more for only about 20 euros extra so that would be my choice if I was picking from the 3 , and its an R7 as mentioned , ya cant go wrong with these !!

Progressive is important yes ,

They are all widescreen compatible , it says 16 9 on all 3 units ,

Depth , or size , doesnt really come into it here , at only 20 euros difference I doubt the size has anything to do with the price !!

HDMI is fully compatible with DVI and can be used as a PC connection , it also has a VGA input which can also be used as a PC connection , you just have a choice thats all. Given that you have a choice of HDMI , VGA , and S video to use for your laptop then you pick either the VGA or the HDMI , S video is crap for any PC as it converts the output of your PC to PAL ( or NTSC ) and makes text very hard to read.

HDTV resolutions matter , pick the unit with the most choices , thats the 26 incher !

Hope all this helps

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Yes, thats helps alot Mathias, thanks indeed.

I'm still inclined to think that the 27" would suit me better though considering that I'm not too worried about having a large number of inputs/outputs or using the TV for HD (for the forseeable future.... I just think its a waste to not be HD ready now). Considering that I'd lose screen size and thinness by going with the 26" just to gain HD features and inputs/outputs (if I understand it correctly) I'll probably go for the 27".

Advertisement