Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weirdness

Options
  • 21-08-2006 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭

I'm sure there's a better way of explaining this, but bear with me.

I've noticed lately that when I go into my User CP, that my "subbed forum" dropdown menu shows that the forums which had new posts/threads upon my most recent login/visit to the site, still have posts unread, even if I've just marked them as read and no new posts have been made, i.e. I've marked forums as read, go into user CP and it shows up as all though I have yet to read the new posts, but when I go back to the forum that appears to have new posts, there has been nothing new since I marked it as read ...

Like I said, not the best explanation, but it has been bugging me a bit lately.

I'm using pie.boards.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Does it only happen when you mark them as read or does it happen also when you don't post for 15 minutes and your user cp shows the new posts aren't new any more? And if the user cp doesn't show new posts - the subbed menu doesn't either? ie - the problem is only when you mark as read.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

To be honest Gordon, I couldn't really tell you that for sure. Usually if I leave it for fifteen minutes I'm not usually paying attention enough to notice. I've only been aware of it when I mark the stuff as read and then it shows up as being unread, because I know for sure which forums had nothinig new in them etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

This is happening in the User CP and the subbed dropdown right? And you're clicking the link on the forum via the dropdown menu - Forum tools - Mark this forum read?

Just trying to clarify, it's working ok for me.

Gordon wrote:
    This is happening in the User CP and the subbed dropdown right? ?
    Yup, both in the menu at the top of page and in the CP, but it's only happening in the dropdown when in the user CP, as soon as I go out of the User CP the dropdown goes back to normal, showing forums as read correctly.
    And you're clicking the link on the forum via the dropdown menu - Forum tools - Mark this forum read
    Yes sir.
    Just trying to clarify, it's working ok for me.
    Nay bother, I know I didn't explain it particularly well.

Further to this, I've noticed today that when I go back to the home page, regardless of filter the forums I have just marked as read are showing up as having new posts in them.

Also more weirdness with PMs today. When I got a PM notification Pop Up earlier I clicked cancel to read it later, but when I went to my User CP it didn't show up, also on the homepage there was no indication that I had just received a PM it took several minutes to show up in my inbox. About twenty minutes ago I went from the homepage to my user CP and the PM that had taken so long to appear was now back and showing up as a new PM, even though I had already read it an replied.

I'm confused!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

This might be because we stopped directing browsers to cache all pages. Could it be that you're seeing cached versions of pages you'd browsed to earlier?

That could be it.

I'll have a tinker and see if it changes anything.

Thanks.

Advertisement