Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wait Time beofre selling an imported Car

• 21-08-2006 5:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me if there is a minumum wait time before you can sell a car you import from America. I was looking thru iasis.gov and I cant see anything about a wait time. But I would imagine their would be, to minimise importe car selling

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

government dont really care once the taxes are paid and AFAIK once you have all the documentation in place then you can sell it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

the only problem I see is if you are avoiding VRT by saying it was your car while you lived in america, they you can't sell it for x months, or if you do then you must pay the VRT

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Moved from Consumer Issues.

You should get a better response here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

As far as I know, if you got a VRT exemption (say if you moved here after living outside the state for a couple of years), you have to keep the car for a year after registering it here before you can sell it. If you paid VRT, you can sell it whenever you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

VRT excemption only applies for movement from within the EU.

So for bringing in a car from the US you have to pay VAT, duty and VRT ...whether it's your car or you're just importing it.

The upshot is that you can indeed sell it on as soon as all those are paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭whippet

there is a minimum time you must keep the car.

If you import a personal car after owning it abroad (subject to being resident abroad, taxing the car abroad, insuring and being able to provide proof of all this) for at least 6 months prior to importing (and subsequently becoming resident in ireland) you do not have to pay VRT.

You will have to present the car within 24 or 48 hours (not too sure on this) to a VRT office (in roslare / dundalk etc) with all the relevant paperwork.

If the car is disposed of (including gifted) within 12 months of the date of registration in ireland (exempt from VRT) the VRT that was exempted will then be due and payable.

There are no loop holes, exceptions etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

peasant wrote:
    VRT excemption only applies for movement from within the EU.

No, it doesn't. If you permanently move from outside the state (including non EU locations) you can bring your car with you if you've owned it for more than 1 year (or 6 months in some places, depending on what kind of tax you had to pay on it).

My ould fella did this to import a BMW VRT-free a couple of years ago, as he was working outside the EU for 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

yep just looked it up ...i was wrong

you can get VRT exemption for outside EU vehicles as well ...if you do you can not sell it on for a year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Thanks for the reply guys, ye are a wealth of information. I wont be exempt cause what I was thinking was buying a cheap American car, like a dodge, dune buggy etc. changing the drive and importing it. Even with the cheap US prices, weak dollar, I probably wouldnt come out with that much extra, after VAT, duty and VRT have been paid. (and I changed the drive side)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Um, changing the drive side? who were you going to get to do that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

oxygen wrote:
    Thanks for the reply guys, ye are a wealth of information. I wont be exempt cause what I was thinking was buying a cheap American car, like a dodge, dune buggy etc. changing the drive and importing it. Even with the cheap US prices, weak dollar, I probably wouldnt come out with that much extra, after VAT, duty and VRT have been paid. (and I changed the drive side)

and replace the oxygen supply to your brain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

whippet wrote:

If you import a personal car after owning it abroad (subject to being resident abroad, taxing the car abroad, insuring and being able to provide proof of all this) for at least 6 months prior to importing (and subsequently becoming resident in ireland) you do not have to pay VRT.

Do you actually have to live in the country you're importing from? Or could you go over just to buy the car, leave it with relatives in the country for the 6 months and then just import it?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

nialldinho wrote:
    Do you actually have to live in the country you're importing from? Or could you go over just to buy the car, leave it with relatives in the country for the 6 months and then just import it?
    To avail of the VRT Exemption, you must prove that you were living and working abroad by providing bills, bank statements, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

i thought so. thanks.

was just curious because i saw a new mustang for sale here and figured it must be cheaper to import yourself seeing as the msrp in america is around $20,000.

Advertisement