Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlings - pests, how to remove?

Options
  • 21-08-2006 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

If this is in the wrong section please move:

Have a serious problem with starlings at the moment in my yard at home, there are quite a few of them and as a result both my cars are constantly destroyed with their bird sh1t. Has anyone any suggestions on how to scare them away humanely.

They have a nest in one of my sheds in the yard??

Any help greatly appreciated!! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved, maybe these delightful people will be able to help you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Just wait a few more weeks and they'll be gone on their annual holiday to Africa :D:D:D

I know what you mean though ...there's a huge congregation around our area every year ...sort of a staging point before they take off.

Must have something to do with the tons of blackberries in our "garden"

Just cover your car and enjoy the spectacle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

peasant wrote:
    Just wait a few more weeks and they'll be gone on their annual holiday to Africa :D:D

Starlings don't migrate do they ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

I'm pretty sure they do ...

At least I'm absolutely CERTAIN that they dissapear from our place to return again in spring :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭golden

Starlings are european birds and do not migrate to Africa. There are resident starlings and also migratratory within Europe see link

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/bwi/pages092003/news/news_birdtrack.html

"Some species that we think of as resident in some parts of Ireland actually make really interesting seasonal movements. Good examples would be Siskin, Starling and Lapwing. Although many individuals of these species are resident, the population in Ireland is boosted by birds from abroad at certain times of year. Harsh weather on the continent can produce large-scale movements of birds moving west to a warmer climate. Movements of Starlings and Lapwings into eastern England and then filtering west into Ireland are classic examples. In the autumn, Siskins arrive in Britain and Ireland from Scandinavia (most via the Low Countries) and some even continue southwards to winter in Iberia and North Africa! The following spring, there is a passage of Siskins northwards to their breeding grounds."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Yep, starlings are non migratory birds ;). Buy a plastic owl, they usually do the trick if placed at a strategic spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

I love watching the madness of the starlings and their babies but then again I'm just a few sandwiches short of a picnic - never understand why people want rid of nature in their surroundings :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

You can get car covers in argos for a reasonable price afaik.
    Might be a good investment for other reasons too, rainwater can ruin paintwork over time.

Other than that, one of those scary owl things might work, or alternatively, get into falconry (sp?) as a hobby! ;)

Aint a whole lot you can do about them Im fraid.

b

EGAR wrote:
    Yep, starlings are non migratory birds ;)

That's interesting ...I would have bet that they are ...because they really DO disappear completely from around our place during winter.

Must find out where they go ...further inland perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

peasant wrote:
    Must find out where they go ...further inland perhaps?

they all go around to techies house it seems :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

Thanks for all the replies folks, Boards did not alert me that there were replies! :(

The birds definitely are not around for Winter, maybe Ryanair cheap flights ! :)

Is the fake Owl a good idea, whats the theory about using one??
    Car covers are not viable as both our cars are constantly in use.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Be careful about using a statue of an owl as these are often used to attract magpies. You might rid the area of starlings but attract a few magpies who are quite a beautiful bird but also very vocal.

Again I am just poiting out a possible outcome. Covers for the car may be the way to go

Advertisement