Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German beer festival.info please

Options
  • 21-08-2006 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭

Hi looking to Go to Germany in October with friends and partners. We were thinking Frankfurt (cheap flights) for the weekend of the 8-10 of October. can anyone tell me if the festival will be on here for that weekend or recommend a place to stay?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I thought the Oktoberfest was in Munich
    www.oktoberfest.de

it also starts on the 16th of Sept and ends on the 3rd of October according to site

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

Jakkass wrote:
    I thought the Oktoberfest was in Munich
    www.oktoberfest.de

it also starts on the 16th of Sept and ends on the 3rd of October according to site

I heard a few other big cities have there own form of the festival. Wouldn't be as good but its gone to late to be booking for Munich i've checked around and Munich seems very pricey or full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

I've been to the festival in Stuttgart. It was nothing compared to what was going on in Munich. Also it is in September and not October so if you head over in October you'll miss it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

The main event is in Munich. If you are going to make all the effort to go to Germany you may as well go the whole hog and actually go to Munich as that place will really be going off.

If you cannot make it to Munich then try at least to get to Bavaria, the country which Munich is in.

To be honest, I wouldn't go to Frankfurt or Stuttgart for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Oktoberfest is related to harvest, as in the ingredients for beer getting harvested. Frankfurt is more known for its Cider so it's not going to have the same meaning probably. Having said that, nearly all towns and villages across Germany will have some sort of festivities towards the end of the Summer - though they're not necessarily easy to find info about.

The biggest thing in Frankfurt in October will be it's Book Fair (which is internationally renowned): http://frankfurt.eventguide.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Jesper

Great I go to find a beer festival and get myself a book festival :confused:
    Not taking away from the book festival but it'll be a hard sell to the group.

p.pete wrote:
    The biggest thing in Frankfurt in October will be it's Book Fair (which is internationally renowned): http://frankfurt.eventguide.com/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Hop on a train at Frankfurt aiport. Its about two hours to Munich.. roughly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

BossArky wrote:
    Hop on a train at Frankfurt aiport. Its about two hours to Munich.. roughly.

Two hours....give or take an extra hour and forty-two minutes on the Intercontinental Express ;)

www.bahn.de

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

I'll echo the sentiments of others, that Oktoberfest as a useful event is a Munich-only thing. However, the weekend is utterly and totally the wrong time to try and go. It is guaranteed to be heaving, all day. Most tents have to stop letting people in early on, without reserved tables, a posse of in-the-know mates or a lot of luck you may end up SOL. You'd feel pretty bummed going to Oktoberfest and not getting a beer, and it does happen.

If the weather is fine (and it frequently is), you can be lucky and find a spot in one of the Biergarten areas outside a tent (which is more pleasant in a lot of ways), but if it rains you really don't want to be there at the weekend.

(just spotted your travel dates - you needn't worry about crowds after all, the Fest will be over. I suppose I may as well post for anyone else who cares...)

Dermot

Advertisement