Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knotted Pine Doors

• 21-08-2006 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi, just got knotted pine doors recently. The fella who hung them said 'Osmo' (Wood Oil) is great for painting them as opposed to varnish. We got the stuff anyway but was reading my DIY book last night and apparently you need to treat the knots in wood with 'Knotting Solution'??? Anyone any advice or come across this B4? Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Knotting solution is used on knots primarily to seal/stop the sap coming out of them prior to painting over them using oil based primer then undercoat etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Yeah you shouldn't really need to kill knots when varnishing, staining or oiling wood...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭PRman

Cheers lads. I think some of these DIY books go in2 too much detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

PRman wrote:
    Cheers lads. I think some of these DIY books go in2 too much detail.
    they sure do...I've put varnish on mine and no problems for yrs

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭hughm

Mind if I hijack for a moment?

We have just replaced all our downstairs internal doors with nice solid 4 panel Pine doors with brass handles. Getting house freshly painted at present (prob a light colour buttermilk/ magnoolia or cream etc ) and we just put down Solid Oak floors throughout downstairs.

I'm not sure what to do with the internal doors. Do I paint them gloss white to match skirting and architraves (which are and will remain gloss white), or wax, or oil, or varnish the doors etc etc.

Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Pine doors look very nice varnished against white painted door frame. The pine will darken with time. It would be a shame to paint them white.

Advertisement