Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To repeat or not to repeat.....that is the question!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

I know where you're coming from. I got 385 and got offered Commerce and Spanish and my head is all over the place the last few days!! I went from being content with my 385 and all set for my course to wanting to repeat and go fo something I'd really be interested in (Journalism in DCU) but since I can't afford it my parents said they'd only pay to send me away for college for Primary Teaching which I wouldn't mind really!!! My parents are really odd and giving me negative vibes about my results (I went down from410 in my pres) even though I'm happy with them, but not over the moon either. I'll probably repeat even though I know it'll be one tough year I'd much prefer to pay my €350 for the year instead of going to college, hating my course and dropping out and being €2500 in debt and having to repeat anyway.
    You'd be surprised how many people drop out and change courses etc so if you want to go fot your 1st choice then I think you should repeat. I'd be happy repeating honestly even though I know it's another year of being broke and a severe deprived social life!! But I'll be hungry for success and I'll be a lot more grateful when I actually get my course!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

i don't think there's anymore advice that i can give that hasn't already been given, but if you do repeat, the upside is that you can keep a close eye on that wonderful thread of ours :p PM me if you just need to chat and get your head around the whole prospect (of repeating, not on keeping an eye on the thread :) )

another insightful post full of wisdom and advice from abercrombie :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭happydance

Not sure it would be much help but as far as I know RCSI does a post-grad pharmacy degree. two of my fathers friends did it after they had done science degrees (one did general science in trinity and the other did medicinal chemistry). You do have to pay fees but I think it's only a 3 year course, but again I'm not sure!

You should really ring TCD and ask them what transfers are availible (and happen often) from the end of their first and second years.

You may find that a student who puts in good work during first year, could end up in Pharmacy.

Why do 6th year, when you can do college and end up in the same place?

Ring...

thats my advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

Yup I rang Tcd this morning and they told me no transfers are not possible into pharmacy after 1 year of science - unless you have the points! I went to see a guidance councillor today (there not that great help)she told me my options where to repeat or do science - you guys have shown me way more options! Oh she did tel me that after one year of science I can go to Scotland to do pharmacy! I am going to go for Science - its a good general degree and my options are so wide - I do not want to do 6th year again! Rockerette you took my quoets out of context - When you picked them like that they do make me sound like a pretentious little beatch. My family have been great support to me! My friends have been to! Its not really my best friends it more all the other haters and your right screw them and scew the crap they will say of me - I should be a bigger person and accept it! Oh I do not regard trinity any more prestigious then the next university in Ireland - but other people do - belive me they do (ive had numerous people ring me telling me congrats all because I got into trinity - puh lease!) Oh shrimp id love to do community pharmacy but who knows in five years I could be doing research! Aber thanks for your advice and to everyone else - you do not realise but you all gave me more advice then any other institution or qualified person! :D good luck to everyone in the same position in me! I hope you all find your way too Oh and I will defo ring RCSI and find out about that postgrad programme!cheers :D

• Advertisement

Have fun in Scotland in a couple of years!

Glad you sorted yourself out without needing to see another LC paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

If you wanted to work in a comm. pharmacy then obvisouly you are going to need pharamcy, on the other hand I'd imagine you could still go into the research and development side of things with a science degree.

Going to scotland is great news, it means u can still become a pharmacist. So it's not all that bad.

As you might know my dad's a pharmacist so if you've got any questions about been a pharmacist or anythign just ask. ;)

Advertisement