Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Germany

• 21-08-2006 8:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Lol guess noone arsed.

Republic of Ireland squad to play
    Germany on Saturday 2 September:
    Given (Newcastle), Henderson
    (Brighton), Kenny (Sheffield United),
    Andy O'Brien (Portsmouth), Dunne
    (Manchester City), Carr (Newcastle),
    Finnan (Liverpool), Kelly (Birmingham),
    Doherty (Norwich), Kilbane (Everton),
    O'Shea (Manchester United), Reid
    (Blackburn), Kavanagh (Wigan), Liam
    Miller (Manchester United), Douglas
    (Blackburn), Ireland (Manchester City),
    Duff (Newcastle), McGeady (Celtic),
    Elliott (Sunderland), Keane
    (Tottenham), Doyle (Reading), Morrison
    (Crystal Palace), Alan O'Brien
    (Newcastle).

hehe Doherty.....

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Pfft! Doherty would walk into any team in the world! he'd always be the first name on my sheet! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I didnt know whether to laugh or cry when I heard he has been brought back into the squad.What a fcuking embarassment.

Stan seems to be on a mission to try and get the fans against him as quickly as possible, hey hes playin a stormer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I fear for our boys. I know this is not the thread for this but we really have to be the laughing stock of the world at the moment. Staunton is an assistant manager at the moment, and nothing else. Germany will dance all over us. Although of course, i hope not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

fade2black wrote:
    I fear for our boys. I know this is not the thread for this but we really have to be the laughing stock of the world at the moment.

Yeah, we have such a bad team for a island nation of 4 million people and no grass roots info-structure, poor us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Lads, anyone at the game last wednesday would agree that stan can't rely on O'Shea as centre-half backup, he was rubbish, I never seen such poor positional sense from a centre-half.

I agree we needed another centre-half for cover, but I would much prefer to have Paddy McCarthy then Dogherty!

It's not like Stan has a wealth of talent at his disposal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Seaneh wrote:
    Yeah, we have such a bad team for a island nation of 4 million people and no grass roots info-structure, poor us!

We have one of the best grass root structures in the world, most of our small islands schoolboys who go to england become pros in the championship. Our underage teams consistently do well until they hit under 21s and full team.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Seaneh wrote:

You think that's a good excuse do you? Or do you just want to disagree with me for the sake of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I predict we will get a well undeserved draw and Stan will once again be the beloved smiliing man-child that won everyones heart after the Sweden game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭irish life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I didn't want him to get the job, but now he has it we need to realise the situation he's facing. This qualifying campaign should be a damage limitation exercise, try to put in a decent performance or two, strive to rise up the rankings so we get a kinder draw for WC10 while we work on getting new faces into the set up.

Give the fella a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I hope that is Kevin Doherty?

I hope that is Kevin Doherty?

No, Pete. He's signed for Pats...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

too lazy to type "bankrupt Doherty" into google.

kdjac

J. W. CALNAN CO. v. DOHERTY, 224 U.S. 145 (1912)?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

We all dream of a team of Doh-her-tys....a team of Doh-her-tys

I can hear it now......but with a German accent for some reason - I reckon it's part of Stan's masterplan to confuse the German scouts

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

honestly with the lack of quality irish center backs who have played in a big game in their carrers around ,someone other than doherthy would be getting would be getting the insults at this moment if it not for his selection. This is germany afterall, and i find it hard to find any other CB's available to us that id rather and have played even near that big a game before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Why are people getting so worked up over his defensive abilities? Stan's clearly brought him in to play up front for Oireland, thereby clearly utilising both the best of abilities in a tactical sense, and man-management. I heard Robbie Keane refused to play unless he can play alongside the living leg end that is Gary Doherty.

:eek: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Ah I see! So we'll be playing the old 4-4-1-Doherty formation? The Germans don't have a chance!

Has anyone seen Doherty play recently or are Norwich really that bad?

http://new.pinkun.com/cs/forums/735791/ShowPost.aspx

He seems to be doing really well for them. I'm more worried about the exclusion of Reid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Lots of Doomlords on here. We should be getting behind Ireland instead of preparing for failure. Regardless of how good/bad staunton is as a manager we simply don't have the players and that's as simple as that. If we loose we loosed bit deal let's not turn into england supporters, ready to pounce at the first oppurtunity on our manager.

Next we'll start booing ex-rangers players. Oh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Another 4-0 raping.

First time ever I have gone into an Irish match thinking we'll disgrace ourselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

While an opening game defeat is not the end of the world, I cant help but feel that this team needs a performance and a result in Germany. With our key players back, I do not believe it is beyond us.

Two possible scenarios:

The Holland hangover

The team is in dissarray after the Holland game. A hammering at the hands of Germany follows. The team wants to retreat to the sanctuary that is their English clubs but another game and another thrashing on the cards. The doom merchants are out inforce as they are proven right yet again.

The Holland hallelujah

The team regains the underdog spirit of old where every man plays above their level and an unlikely draw/win is the outcome. The players are brimming with confidence for the next game and the country is suddenly behind the team once again.

For me the implications of this game are huge. Before the Holland game an away defeat to Germany was not the end of the world but the result of this game will set the ball rolling in one of two extreme directions.

Unearthly wrote:
    Another 4-0 raping.

First time ever I have gone into an Irish match thinking we'll disgrace ourselves
    I thought we were going to disgrace ourselves against Holland and I actually gave my tickets away and watched the match on tv. The reason for that was because were were missing our 4 most important players and were forced to play our worst defence in years. I don't expect us to get anything in Germany but we'll be much improved from last week. If we avoid an injury crisis in this campaign then it's down to the manager to get us through. We have decent enough quality players to get 2nd spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

maybe so but I always expect the Irish team to put in an effort, not a lifeless performance. Nothing about them against Holland.

It would be typical Ireland if we got a draw or dare I say it a win, I remember in 2000 before we played Holland and Portugal away I was declaring we'd be out of the running by christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

McGeady got Celticfc.net motm today for the 3rd consecutive match. He played a huge part in both goals.

http://www.celticfc.net/newsroom/news.aspx?id='2006-08-26_1717df'

"Vennegoor of Hesselink’s presence had visibly lifted Celtic and the equaliser arrived in the 62nd minute. McGeady threaded a sublime pass through to Naylor and the full-back’s cross was rammed past Malkowski by Zurawski."

"With Celtic continuing to up the tempo, Vennegoor of Hesselink gave the fans what they had been waiting for with the Hoops’ second goal in the 66th minute, and again McGeady was involved.

Running from deep the Irish youngster flashed a left-shoot off the post and the Dutchman was on hand to slam home his first Celtic goal.

As you would expect from a Mowbray side, Hibs battled for an equaliser. However, Celtic were also searching for the killer third goal and the outstanding McGeady curled a stunning effort just inches past Malkowski’s right-hand post in the 83rd minute.

Zurawski also saw a close-range shot blocked after superb approach play by McGeady and Vennegoor of Hesselink. The Pole was then sent clear on goal in the closing stages, but hesitated and was tackled by Hibs defender Jay Shields."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

I fancy us to get a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

irish life wrote:
    Has anyone seen Doherty play recently or are Norwich really that bad?

Kensutz is yer only man for everything Norwich related, he'll know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Is this match on RTE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

eirebhoy wrote:
    McGeady got Celticfc.net motm today for the 3rd consecutive match. He played a huge part in both goals.

He's playing in Scotland. The standard of the Hibs defending isn't exactly in the same league as Metzelder, Lahm and whoever else McGeady could come up against. Like most of our players he hasn't got it at the top international level.

• Advertisement

Xavi6 wrote:
    He's playing in Scotland. The standard of the Hibs defending isn't exactly in the same league as Metzelder, Lahm and whoever else McGeady could come up against. Like most of our players he hasn't got it at the top international level.
    Got what? Experience? I couldn't care less. He's the most in form player Ireland have atm and has to start in Germany. McGeady has the ability to run Lahm regged if he plays left back. I think he'll play right back though and be up against Duff with Jansen at left back. McGeady's not going into the unknown, he's faced defenders of this quality plenty of times.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Got what? Experience?

No, ability. Experience doesn't matter once you've the talent i.e. Michael Owen in France '98 or even Pele in 1958. I agree he is in form but only against average at best teams. I just think he will be out of his depth if he starts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not just picking on McGeady. The majority of our current crop are the same unfortuantely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Would like to see McGeady on the RW + Finnan start in his best position at RB.

Ever the optimist, im plumping for a thrilling 1-0 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

Is this match on RTE?

Yes, they had an ad for it during the Premiership last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Xavi6 wrote:
    No, ability. Experience doesn't matter once you've the talent i.e. Michael Owen in France '98 or even Pele in 1958. I agree he is in form but only against average at best teams. I just think he will be out of his depth if he starts.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not just picking on McGeady. The majority of our current crop are the same unfortuantely.

Doomlord. It's ridiculous comparing Michael Owen and Pele to McGeady. Pele played on the greatest team of all time and Michael Owen played with a rally good team in 98. From what I've seen I have been impresed with McGeady. Unfortunately he is part of an average side.

AthAnRi wrote:
    Doomlord. It's ridiculous comparing Michael Owen and Pele to McGeady. Pele played on the greatest team of all time and Michael Owen played with a rally good team in 98. From what I've seen I have been impresed with McGeady. Unfortunately he is part of an average side.

Ha ha I prefer the word 'realist' to doomlord. As I already said, I'm not just having a go at McGeady. Yes he is a talent but just not enough to take us to the Euro's. I hope we go out and hammer Germany on Saturday. If we do though it will be because of great team spirit and a battling performance, not because of ability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I totally fancy ireland to get a point in this game, 2-2 or something like that.

Doyle, Keane, Duffer, McGeedy all in good form and three German centerbacks are out.

Now I know this doesn't mean that Germany are going to play some bloke called 'Gunther Doherty' but they're weak at the back and we're strong in attack.

Also Germany have an odd situation in that it's not the world cup anymore and they have to play crappy Ireland instead of Italy. I realise that Germans unlike most people are not affected by anything like this but you never know.

A good result against Germany and we'll have the confidence to go to Cyrpus and hammer them. That would be an excellent start..

Xavi6 wrote:

I'd have had my doubts too 12 months ago but now I've no doubt McGeady is going to make it and be a star for Ireland. You can quote me on that as much as you like. :)

Here's yesterday's goals, McGeady involved in both:
    http://www.celtic-crazy.com/videos/celtic2_1hibs.html

If Frank Ribery was playing French 3rd division football (spent 3 seasons there with 3 different clubs) at McGeady's age I can only imagine how good McGeady can go on to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

If i was arsed I'd go back and find my posts of how McGeady is the future of Irish football and how Kerr should have faith in him, but meh, maybe when search is working.

In 2- 3 seasons, when you think of Irelands genuine world class and creative outlet, Damien Duff will not be top of your list.

I don't know where big stan is going with this..is this supposed to be a "learning campagin" and about experience? In that case give stephen Ireland the midfield spot beside Stephen Reid, Kevin Doyle as an automatic starter, get Harte back on track at LB as O'Shea is no longer good enough to be in the squad, let alone team, play Finnan at LB too and give Kelly and Joey O'B time in RB, try O'Brien in CM, get Potter in the squad.

If we're trying to qualify for the damn thing then use friendlys (especially your last one) to play a full strength team and see what goes right and wrong...no point in knowing the strengths and weakness's of your reserves. Get Carsley back in the squad...drop Kilbane and DONT try him at LB and CB...play duff, mcgeady, keane, doyle, s.reid, dunne, finnan, given as default..only CB, CM, and LB is up for debate...Andy O'Brien, Kavanagh/Carsley, Harte/Finnan (Carr on the right) ... Cop on stan, save our dignity.
    Oh, and call up Gary Breen if you're goinf to have the feckin Ginger Pele while you're at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Well, I am very pessimistic going into this after that dismal holland performance but there are some things to be positive about,

First we had a lot of injuries for that match and season was just starting. We will hopefully have all those players fit and ready, Robbie Keane for example has been in outstanding form for Spurs secondly it is few weeks on and players will be fitter and more match fit and after that dismal performance against Holland, I expect they will have a point to prove.
    Finally Germany may suffer from world cup hangover which has been a trend over the last few major tournaments when teams who do well start badly in qualifying rounds, so remember Croatia in 98 and Holland and Portugal in 2000 and of course our defeats against Russia and Switzerland in 2002.

So while I think ultimately chances are we will lose but back in my mind there is chance we can get something out of it, draw would be great result for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

what time is kick off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭c m

when i see staunton has included the likes of morrison kilbane and doherty in the squad it leaves me feeling pessimistic.
    this is the team id like to see
    given

finnan o brien dunne carr

duff o shea reid

doyle mcgeady

keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Morrison (if you disregard his last game) works hard for the team and can finish well. Great reports from Scotland about McGeady but personally I dont like him. As for Doherty, well we needent say anythin. But if we were one nil down with 5 mins to go Id throw him on!

Andy Reid should be in the squad, regardless of fitness level. We are short of above average midfielders (cant say quality cas we only have one quality Midfielder and he has his off days alot too!).

Just as long as Duff, O Brien, Dunne, Finnan, Given and Keane are fit for the game.

Kilbane - used to stick up for him cas he always grafted and tried his best. But his last 2 games for Ireland were even below his standards. Mark Kenedy and Andy Reid should be there instead of him in the squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Onkle51 wrote:
    what time is kick off

19:45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Umm I see Germany are missing their back 4 from the WC, i.e. Mertesacker, Huth, Nowotny and Metzleder are all out!!

I'm going for a 1-1 draw.

irish1 wrote:
    Umm I see Germany are missing their back 4 from the WC, i.e. Mertesacker, Huth, Nowotny and Metzleder are all out!!

I'm going for a 1-1 draw.
    More like 4-4. ;) Germany will play the 2 Friedrich's in defence, one is a right back. There's no doubt even our central defence is better than there's now. All we have to worry about is Stephen Reid's partner in the middle of the park as we're strong enough everywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

eirebhoy wrote:
    More like 4-4. ;) Germany will play the 2 Friedrich's in defence, one is a right back. There's no doubt even our central defence is better than there's now. All we have to worry about is Stephen Reid's partner in the middle of the park as we're strong enough everywhere else.

And important that will be too, IMO both O'Shea and Kavanagh are inadequate. It's a bit of a worry.

I'd not only have called Lee Carsley up but he'd be guaranteed a starting place for this match if I was manager. :) He's solid if unspectacular and it'll allow Reid play in his best role. With O'Shea in beside Reid it forces Reid in a deap role as O'Shea can't really be trusted there. Everton beat Spurs 2-0 in WHL at the weekend with 10 men for the last hour. Carsley being the only defensive midfielder in the team has to have played a big part in that result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Hasn't Carsley retired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Center Mid is defo a problem, its either Reid and Kavanagh or Reid and Miller I reckon, although Stan will probably go with O'Shea.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Hasn't Carsley retired?
    He said he's available if needed. Stan phoned him a couple of weeks ago but Carsley said he'd go to Germany if he had a "good chance" of playing. He likes the break with the family and doesn't want to be going to Stuttgart to sit on the bench for the 90 minutes. Stan didn't call him up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement