Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland vs Germany

Comments

What I wouldn't do for a decent midfield. It's non-existent.

No, its there, defending:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Is Stephen Ireland on the pitch? Tommy Smith on ESPN keeps referring to him but it then shows a shot of Steven Reid.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

Half Time 0-0. Not a bad performance. The only concern is that they may wear themselves down before the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Ireland is on the bench.

Good performance so far.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Agreed with the above views that this is a good performance so far. Our lack of a ball-winning midfielder really could cost us dearly in the second half though. :-/

Pacifico wrote:
    Ireland is on the bench.

That's alright. I was thinking he must be having the most anonymous game ever.

Given's keeping us in it. Let's hope he keeps it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

John O'Shea is very disturbing in that ad just now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

what a ****ing save that was by Given. We do look a bit shakey at the back but i think we can take it to them & maybe even sneak a winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Pigman II wrote:
    John O'Shea is very disturbing in that ad just now :(

why ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ballack is not been picked up at all, O'Shea and Kilbane are not up to it, why the hell isn't Reid in the middle???? God Staunton has me fuming, you have a player who actually plays in the center week in week out on the wing and two guys out of position in the middle. Kilbane keeps giving the bloody ball away he is not a center mid player.

I reckon Kilbane off McGeady on and Reid into the middle and ffs Duff stay out wide and will someone give Finnan a kick up the *** he's walking around the place not getting close to his man.

The Germans defence is muck and we have to get one because they are going to score.

• Advertisement

bizmark wrote:
    why ...

I don't know. His voice, the low camera angle, the dark lighting, his double chin, the 'acting', the rubbing of a young boy on the head.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Pacifico wrote:
    Ireland is on the bench.

Good performance so far.....

Indeed not too shabby at all, as for this Chinese (watching the stream because its not on US telly) chap doing half time analysis, I haven't a clue what he is talking about. :)

Thank God for Given. He's the only truly world class player we have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

speachless! :eek: :confused:

It was comeing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

woah wat one goal can do
    there a changed side already!

Great little backheel by Robbie Keane there. Pity he couldn't do it at the other end.............:rolleyes:
    Ruu wrote:
    Indeed not too shabby at all, as for this Chinese (watching the stream because its not on US telly) chap doing half time analysis, I haven't a clue what he is talking about. :)
    Nor do I but they seemed to be having a great laugh about something, haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

Bring on macgeady...he should create something..

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Stan has just been ordered to the stands.

• Advertisement

Stan has sacraficed himself for the good of the team

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Bring on macgeady...he should create something..

He's now on for duff. He may just give us something different.

Duffer off :eek:

He's taking after Big Jack, Now Pat Devlin of Bray is in charge :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Stan's a clown....Duff and Doyle off! 2 best players on the pitch IMO

bizmark wrote:
    Duffer off :eek:

Well he wasn't exactly lighting the place up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Well he wasn't exactly lighting the place up!

He was the only one getting us free kicks in and around the box....it's the only way we're gonna score

What was Stan chewing about to the referee that got him sent off? I know that he left his area twice (big offence) but what incident(s) caused him to do that? I had to answer the phone while that was happening. :(

Maybe they should of stuck on the Doc it was mostly long balls and wayward crosses anyway

What was Stan chewing about to the referee that got him sent off? I know that he left his area twice (big offence) but what incident(s) caused him to do that? I had to answer the phone while that was happening. :(

He kicked a water bottle in anger. In keeping with the quality on the pitch he skewed it wildly.

Stan hasn't got a clue seriously like wtf were the FAI thinking appointing him??? You can't go from Walsall reserve team manager to International manager.

O'Brien was totally useless he was to blame for the goal, stupid freekick to concede.

Stan please walk now while we have a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Dunne should have done better with that.

I was happy enough with our perfomance tonight 1 0 away to Germany is not as bad as expected.

Happy with that??? Germany weren't any good we couldn't tackle, couldn't keep the ball, couldn't pass and couldn't create. Sorry but I don't know how anyone could be happy with that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Pigman II wrote:
    I don't know. His voice, the low camera angle, the dark lighting, his double chin, the 'acting', the rubbing of a young boy on the head.....
    The steven Reid ad was no better

The Muppet wrote:
    Dunne should have done better with that.

I was happy enough with our perfomance tonight 1 0 away to Germany is not as bad as expected.

We would of been beaten 3 nothing if it wasnt for shay given and posed no threat at all

It was crap

Well that was rubbish I don't care what you say. I hope the papers don't write this up tomorrow as some kind of moral victory because we we're a shambles. Couldn't retain the ball, couldn't pass the ball, couldn't create any chances.

The entire team were a disgrace with a few notable exceptions. These being Finnan who was (wrongly) played out of postion, Given who made a few great saves (but just the same there was others that hit the bar and post that he was no where near), Duff who had a go and Doyle who ran and ran and showed some good invention. Why Doylewas taken off and not Keane I don't know as I thought he was our best player on the night?

Germany should have won this about 3 or 4 nil and I'd have had no complaints if they had. I hope Carr doesn't get another start for us btw. He's man #1 out of this lot to be put up against the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Ireland were very poor - especially in the midfield. Where was the supposed tallismanic captain? Invisible at best. Shay Given is the sole man on the pitch to be thanked for not losing my any more, lest we forget Germany hit the woodwork twice and firced Shay into several superb saves. What did Ireland make Lehman do?

Doyle looked the more dangerous of the forwards, a difficult task given the service that was being provided by the midfield. Kilbane was poor, O'Shea was worse. Probably the guts of £1,000,000 a week in wages in the English leagues there in green shirts, and couldn't pass the ball - quality!

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Ireland were very poor - especially in the midfield.

What midfield?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Pigman II wrote:
    Stan has sacraficed himself for the good of the team

you mean he resigned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Well Stan is a muppet, he takes Duff off who was one of the players that could of gotten something around the German box, I know he wasn't playing at his best but he was doing alot more than Kilbane and O'Shea tbh.

How Kilbane gets his game is beyond me and how Kerr and now Staunton pick him is a mystery. They must be some Pictures of the two of them he has !!!!!

Stan should have taken off Kilbane and put McGeady on with Duff on the left and McGeady then the forwards should have had something to work off. Why the hell did the team play high long balls, it played to the Germans strenght.

Extremely disappointed because I felt if we had a properly balanced team from the squad we had we could have taken the Germans. You cannot play players out of position and expect them to play at their best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

bizmark wrote:
    What midfield?
    Exactly! :)

• Advertisement

el rabitos wrote:
    you mean he resigned?

Well that was the jist of my post but I think it's just a one night deal this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

When have we ever been that good at keeping the ball, passing it around or making chances? In the few campaigns which have been succesful we've gotten through them by just being persistent and annoying! We've over-achieved in the past and all we can hope for is to over-achieve in the present and/or the future. 1-0 is not a bad result if you consider the group where Germany are by far the strongest team, we were lucky tonight but we held on quite well bar 20 or so minutes where Germany totally dominated.

So whilst the game was a loss it certainly wasn't a total loss or a complete shambles.

Lets be realistic were crap. We dont have any good out field players. We were lucky it was only 1-0 if it wasnt for Given it could have been 3 or 4 the Germans hit the woodwork twice & Ireland didnt have 1 not 1 clear cut chance on goal Leahmhan didnt have to do nothing for 90 mins. It was a slight ipmrovement from the Holland game we should spirit but the bottom line is are players arent good enough & the future is not looking good

Well, that was boring enough from an Irish perspective. We can thank Shay Given for keeping the score down against a German team who didn't play all that well at all. We had no cutting edge up front and if that continues, we will find life very tough in this group. Our defence was all over the place by times. At least we have a manager who was formerly a defender to fix that, eh? :o

We can finish second in this group. We could also finish a lot further down than that unless we start scoring. Let's just hope that Germany dominates this group now, that would help us in our quest (providing that we can keep our end of the deal).
    He kicked a water bottle in anger. In keeping with the quality on the pitch he skewed it wildly.
    Cheers. :) I've just seen it now. He's about as imposing as a teddy bear, in fairness. His "anger" is something to behold......it looked like fairly fake "anger" tbh.

Stan was delighted with the performance, wtf like??? He's a joke, I feel embarrassed for him nearly, he hasn't a clue. What game was Stan watching???

Stan talking bollox :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

can almost hear dunphy laughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The second half was poor (as was RTEs sound I watched on BBC3), considering the German back-line was down to the walking wounded there was a glaring lack of quality from the wide positions and CM. Germany deserved the win on balance but they were'nt exactly sh1t-hot thsemselves.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭WICKL0W

Well I think we would have been happy with 1-0 after the Dutch match. Who knows Dunne could have scored and the crowd would have gone mental. We played well first 20 minutes and no doubt we were very hopeful. Very poor after that but so were Germany. We expected to be lose away from home and we did - now let's get onto the next game....with Pat Devlin on the touchline.

Advertisement