Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Opinion

Options
  • 21-08-2006 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

Hi lads. had a builder over looking at getting the attic converted. the pic attached shows pretty much the only way it can be done with a stairs (red). it can be split into two rooms or one big one with a banisters going around and stairs just off middle. does it look stupid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,406 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Think you forgot the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

it wouldnt let me load it. here is a link. s is for stairs and b for boiler. v for velux

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

think you forgot the links this time...:D

oh for god sake. i defo posted them. here we go again http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/9315/attickindaro4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭oulu

Is this a hipped roof you have,

• Advertisement

I think thats what they call it yes. lots of head room. actually ill take a pic of the attic two secs

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/1570/hpim0054og7.jpg
    http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8131/hpim0055sn4.jpg
    http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/3133/hpim0056bo1.jpg

the 3rd pic is of the stairs and attic hole. we are planning on putting a stairs on top of the one already there if you know what i mean

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Looks like you have great space up there alright.So your new stairs is going to return at wall of the box room up to the attic? If this is case this seems to be the normal for such a job. Some people I've seen have had to knock through to box room or start stairs on otherside of wall to get required head space when walking up new stairs.

Can you not put the stairs from the ballinters to the wall on the left when you walk up the stairs, I know a neighbour got this done nothing taken from the box room not sure what type of stairs, ie spiral,or normal stairs, but I know it can be done, If you put stairs where hole is now it will take up more space in your attic I think, why not get a few quotes and see what they can do free advice, are you think of doing this yourself,

the stairs is going directly above the one i have with a quarter turn but it will end up in the middle of the attic

• Advertisement

blahblah06 wrote:
    the stairs is going directly above the one i have with a quarter turn but it will end up in the middle of the attic
    Sounds mad Ted if you dont mine me staying, I have seen the type you are thinking about and it makes the attic have less space, mistake me thinking, will be worth either taken 2 ft from the box room, or better still use the route of the the existing house stairs,

Thats the thing i cant. the box room already has room taken out of it because of the hotpress. . the only way i can see doing it is doing a 45 degree turn at the wall then up. its hard to explain really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭tribesman

I think maybe the new stairs cannot go parallel to the old stairs all the way to the top because it would emerge in the attic in an area where there isn't enough height. So, the stairs follows the flight of the stairs below as far as the middle of the house and then turns 90 degress and emerges in the middle of the attic.

Advertisement