Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NTL broadband wireless problems

• 21-08-2006 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    I got NTL broadband there last week and they gave us a Netgear WG111 wireless router for it. The problem is I keep getting disconnected and when I do have signal it is poor, it is supposed to be 54 Mbps but is usually between 5 and 18 Mbps. At the minute we have the signal receiver thing on top of the digital TV box (our digital signal is always good), this is beside the window. I am just wondering how do I make the signal for the broadband better?
    Thanks
    Nala

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Nala wrote:
    Hi everyone,
    I got NTL broadband there last week and they gave us a Netgear WG111 wireless router for it. The problem is I keep getting disconnected and when I do have signal it is poor, it is supposed to be 54 Mbps but is usually between 5 and 18 Mbps. At the minute we have the signal receiver thing on top of the digital TV box (our digital signal is always good), this is beside the window. I am just wondering how do I make the signal for the broadband better?
    Thanks
    Nala

Nala to get any suggestions you will have to give people some more information about yours set up:

What computer equipment are you actually using is it a laptop, pc or what?

Where is the equipment located? In the same room etc etc?

Have you tried moving the wireless router to another location?

Are there any cordless phones nearby?

would any of your neighbours be using a wireless network which might be on the same channel as yourself? (You can download a programme at www.netstumbler.com which will show you other wireless networks in the immediate vicinity)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Moved to wireless...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Hi,
    The computer is a Dell 8400 desktop, it is in the other end of the house from the signal receiver. There's no cordless phones nearby. The signal is a good bit better today, I moved the signal receiver's antenna a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Make sure you have the latest drivers installed for the wireless card on the Dell (get them from the maker's website, the ones that came on CD are not the latest.)

Also go to the Netgear website and download the latest firmware for the router.

This often improves the signal preformance.

What wireless card do you have on the 8400?

I don't think we have a wireless card, we have a USB adaptor instead

• Advertisement

And is your speed to the net ok? (forget about the wireless connection for the moment - it does not have to be at 54Mbps to get the best internet speed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Nala wrote:
    I don't think we have a wireless card, we have a USB adaptor instead
    Yea, it's a USB wireless card. What make and model is it?

As far as i know it is a Netgear WG111v2 Wireless USB 2.0 adapter.

The signal is never more than 46-52 %.

Nala has your speed improved? Have you tried putting the wireless usb on the extension lead that usualy comes with it and moving it around - dont worry about theh wireless signal strengthy - given the distance that you seem to be from the wireless router you are definitely not going to get a full speed sigal but that should not stop you getting fairly good speed to the net.

Advertisement