Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SG-1 Cancelled

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

It's been a long time coming. It's gone pretty downhill since RDA went awol. As for Atlantis, I don't care how many people watch it, I still can't stomach it. It's not what I'd associate with Stargate and I can't bring myself to take it seriously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

One of mates will be bitterly disappointed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Tazzle wrote:
    It's been a long time coming. It's gone pretty downhill since RDA went awol. As for Atlantis, I don't care how many people watch it, I still can't stomach it. It's not what I'd associate with Stargate and I can't bring myself to take it seriously

Jack O' Neill and Daniel Jackson made Stargate what it was and a lot of credit to Samantha Carter, Teal'c and George hammond also.

I would have rathered that daniel be the one to discover all the secrets of atlantis etc.

I dont know how the guy you love to hate "Rodney from SG1" became the guy that everybody loves in atlantis

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Bollocks! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I am so gutted... although I have to say not supried. I have found series 10 so boring with lots of filler episodes. What's going to happen with the Ori?

I wonder will they import Dr J to Atlantis? It would make sense as he's always wanted to go.

Questions Questins Questions.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

:( Oh noes... just when I was truely getting into the joys of it again!

Maybe Daniel Jackson and Sam could transfer to Atlantis... though they'd have to kill off some other characters... I could live without annoying Genuis McKay over Carter any day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

"Viewers and production personnel alike have blamed a number of factors for the show's dramatically lower ratings, from SCI FI and Sony's lack of promotion to the removal of anchor show Battlestar Galactica from the Friday night line-up, to new competition from such shows as USA's hit Monk."

How about blaming the craptastic writing of seasons 9 and 10 for the drop in veiwing figures. The only episode to score high in season 10 was the second episode which funny enough was the only decent episode in far to long a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Its for the best its been **** for 2 year's and samey for around 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Incarnadine

Ah tis a shame but must agree was ****e when o neill left.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

ixoy wrote:
    Bollocks! :(
    What he said. :(

I miss you Richard Dean Anderson!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Perhaps they will finish the Ori thingy with a film effort. I swear to god, if thats film sucks (and there is a chance), ill write an abrupt letter to someone in charge.

That'll teach em

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

yup they shoulda just ended it with the goa uld being free and richard dean anderson being happy in sg1, ever since he left and the ori came in its been actually unbearable to watch. i used to watch it religiously now i just think its pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Really liked Season9, but Season10 hasnt been going anywhere really, the opener was good,so was the cross over, and the hillarious 200th, but between them there were 3 fillers (and not very good fillers), hopefully the last few episodes will pick up a bit.

I think losing Hammon was a real big hit, Landry just isnt a touch on him (dont like the chap at all, and why is he getting more screen time than Hammond ever got?), bigger drop between them two than between RDA and Mitchell imo, I think Mitchell is doing fine as leader of SG-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Wow, bit of a shock there... I always expected Stargate to go the way of Star trek and just keep coming back, again and again...

And finally, after a long string of movies, it would pass away peacefully, on its deathbed, surrounded by horribly mutated grand children...

I guess, in a way, I'm glad, but in another way, I'm pretty pissed off that we might not get any closure to the Ori story arc before the end of this season. Or at the very least, they'll make a mess in an attempt to mash it all together before the end of season 10.

Pretty harsh of Sci-Fi, I mean, we've only have 6 episodes so far this season, how can they just decide to can it so quickly? :o

Oh, well, here's to you, stargate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Don't panic yet, guys. Sci-fi have pulled the plug, but the show may go on....
    Cooper: SG-1 will go on

Don't count Stargate SG-1 out just yet. Though SCI FI Channel has cancelled the long-running series (story), the show's producers are hard at work looking for a new outlet for the story to continue, executive producer Robert C. Cooper told GateWorld exclusively.

"As far as the future I can't comment yet because nothing has been confirmed," Cooper said. "What we want to emphasize is that the franchise is not dying. SG-1 will go on in some way. We're just not ready to announce how."

A formal announcement from the studio and the network is expected later this week.

Cooper also emphasizes that, though emotions are running high among Stargate fans who have just learned the news, it is important to keep the show's ratings strong throughout the remainder of its run on SCI FI. "What's most important is that fans don't take out their frustration with SCI FI by not watching," he said. "In fact, what they need to do is watch both SG-1 and Atlantis LIVE and make sure the ratings stay strong.

"That helps prove to other outlets that might be interested in SG-1 that the show is still as strong as we think it is."

Could Stargate SG-1 find its way to yet another network in 2007? Or might the SG-1 team be headed for a TV movie, mini-series, direct-to-video feature ... or the big screen? Stay with GateWorld for the latest developments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

3-hour Big screen movie FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Its a pity that Stargate has come to this - I personally cannot see it getting onto another channel.

If however, they could re-invent it in a good way (Not like the start of season 9!) this could just be kick up the backside the producers needed, the storylines for Season's 9 and 10 were poor, IMO, and were doing a dis-service to the previous good work.

Sad to see it end, but not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

**** **** tit pussy **** anal licking mother ****er horse **** what aload of cock! bastards. I hate it! Its not fair! I'm gonna hold my breath and stamp my feet till they bring it back.

This sucks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The last season simply didn't have the touch, it has only suffered when compared to the re-runs on Sky, Atlantis has all the makings of Enterprise, give it another two years and mid-season it will be dropped, ho-hum, at least we have BattleStar Galactica and, well, thats about it... What a poor state TV Sci Fi has become.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I know a lot of people haven't enjoyed the Ori storylines but I still like the concept even if the execution is a bit poor at times. I certainly think there's great potential there if they focus a bit more and don't go for the obvious Merlin-SuperWeapon concept.

As to the "filler" episodes - SG-1 has always had them. In fact it used to have far more of them. Admittedly, there was more "off world" missions, but that's got a lot to do with the older bigger Showtime budgets than anything else.

Yes, I do miss O'Neill's presence and don't think that Mitchell has managed to live up to him yet. But I think he's getting better as the weeks go by and starting to really flesh out the role.
    A bigger loss nearly is Hammond whom Landry cannot match. Hammond had the perfect balance of command and appearing to care for his team. Also, on a smaller note, Lam cannot match Fraiser but given her non-appearances this season that's not something that's creating a conflict.
    On the other hand we've the addition of Vala who's add a new element of energy to the team and the new dynamic still made the show fresh enough for me.

Yes, the quality isn't quite up as high as maybe the S4 days or so, but I still think it's there and as "200" and "The Pegasus Project" showed, there's still bright sparks in there. That's why I DON'T want it to go yet and am saddened by this news. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I think this could be the first major show to suffer from downloads. I'd estimate at least 40,000 people a week download sg1 and atlantis, and those damn nielson ratings don't take this into account. Battlestar galactica could be next.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

I am not sure downloading truely affects shows to the extent people make it out to. The Nielsen ratings are based in the US are they not? And it's not like the shows are out for download before they air here. I know I find it much more pleasant to watch the show in higher quality on tv than from some torrent. Even if they are ad free.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Downloads have nothing to do with it, as has been pointed out a few times in various threads here already the Nielson ratings are based on a few homes in America that have their watching habits monitored on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

yes, and those homes are taken as base statistics for the entire population, so let's say for example 10000 homes are monitored, and 800 people out of that watch sg-1, given the population of the U.S. is approx 300m, this translates into 2.4m people watching stargate.

Now if 100 of those 800 monitored viewers stop watching and download instead, then this means that the overall ratings just dropped by 300,000

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Why would Americans download stargate, the point of downloading is to see the episodes early. They all go out at the same time in America.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Any American that doesnt have Sci-Fi but has broadband.

Cooper: SG-1 will go on
    http://gateworld.net/news/2006/08/cooper_isg-1i_will_go_on.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Actually lads, are there more ep's to view or is it just gone as in poof were not showing any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

layke wrote:
    Actually lads, are there more ep's to view or is it just gone as in poof were not showing any more.

Use a bit of logic and you have your answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 541 ✭✭✭chern0byl

Apparently they lost the Stargate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭OmegaRed

WTF?
    Apparently they lost the Stargate.

WTF Fcuk?

Advertisement