Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SG-1 Cancelled

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

Winters wrote:
    Any American that doesnt have Sci-Fi but has broadband.

Cooper: SG-1 will go on
    http://gateworld.net/news/2006/08/cooper_isg-1i_will_go_on.shtml

And how would these people effect the Nielsen ratings?

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I usually find that on stargate torrents the majority of downloaders are americans. I know I'd much rather get an episode off the internet than have to put up with 20 minutes of advertisments.

Fair enough some Americans download Stargate for the lack of ads or because they don't have cable. But if people with the Nielsen boxes are doing this then why aren't they disrupting the ratings for other shows?
    I just think it's an easy answer when the fact is that most people in this thread have admitted that seasons 9 and 10 saw a deffinate drop in quality, isn't that a more likely reason for the drop than the idea that just as many people that used to watch it are but a greater proportion are downloading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DingChavez wrote:
    3-hour Big screen movie FTW.
    It started with a movie.. only to end with a movie? WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

ixoy wrote:
    I know a lot of people haven't enjoyed the Ori storylines but I still like the concept even if the execution is a bit poor at times. I certainly think there's great potential there if they focus a bit more and don't go for the obvious Merlin-SuperWeapon concept.

As to the "filler" episodes - SG-1 has always had them. In fact it used to have far more of them. Admittedly, there was more "off world" missions, but that's got a lot to do with the older bigger Showtime budgets than anything else.

Yes, I do miss O'Neill's presence and don't think that Mitchell has managed to live up to him yet. But I think he's getting better as the weeks go by and starting to really flesh out the role.
    A bigger loss nearly is Hammond whom Landry cannot match. Hammond had the perfect balance of command and appearing to care for his team. Also, on a smaller note, Lam cannot match Fraiser but given her non-appearances this season that's not something that's creating a conflict.
    On the other hand we've the addition of Vala who's add a new element of energy to the team and the new dynamic still made the show fresh enough for me.

Yes, the quality isn't quite up as high as maybe the S4 days or so, but I still think it's there and as "200" and "The Pegasus Project" showed, there's still bright sparks in there. That's why I DON'T want it to go yet and am saddened by this news. :(

well fúcking said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

OMG ive been is a haze of drunkan ness for a few days now and i just got home now work in a few hours and i find this news out :(

This saddens me greatly. One day all TV shows will be aired online with no adds for a small fee and when that day comes the true ratings of every show will be known because of the No. of hits sure sum ppl will still download for free but **** them , they dont reley are for the show same with americans now who dl it instead of watching it its there fault it got canned

The ori story line is good and sg1 is still funny even without RDA
    SGA Is good aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I blame Fargate!

But seriously...I wish that if it was going to end that it would have ended a while back, with closure and what not.
    It's **** that they created all these new roads to go down and now it's going to end without any closure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

To be honest... I wonder if this would have happened earlier if jack was still there. 10 seasons of the same team going through the gate would be a bit grating, I personnally think that Mitchell and Vala were a bit of fresh air. I think the downturn in ratings has more to do with the Ori storyline (only now getting good) rather than the changes in cast.

Stargate has been my favorite show since it was first broadcast. It was the only show that I watched religiously, never missing an episode.

When Season 9 started, for the first time in in it's history I didn’t have Sky or Broadband and only saw a few episodes during the initial run. The ones I saw were poor, O Neill's presence was sorely missed and the standard of writing had fallen.

It's a long tradition that only the best sci fi gets cancelled, and if what remains of season 10 can claw back some of the quality, wit and magic of previous series then the show can go out on a high.

The franchise is MGM’s second biggest after Bond and I seriously doubt that this will be the end of it. Dean Devlin has said that he is interested in doing a film, and there is talk of a new spin off show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bobsyouruncle

I am very sad to here(possibly) the end of one of my favourite programs on Tv.

Although I have to agree season 9 and 10 were not excellent but i enjoyed it all the same. I did missd RDA alot when he left. He was a great source of humour for every episode. His cynism and sarcasmm were just great. Also General Landry does not compare to Hammond.

I hope to god they dont make another film or another spin off. There just simply bound to fail. Sorry to say, but its true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    But this means the last episode will be useless! They had already gotten the actors to agree to an 11th series!!! that means there will not be closure in the last episode! Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Ill just have to agree with everyone else and say Bring Back Jack !!! The Ori storyline had potential too

Kevok wrote:
    I think the downturn in ratings has more to do with the Ori storyline (only now getting good) rather than the changes in cast.
    Would have to disagree strongly...especially with the facts at hand.

The ratings still remained decent in season 9 but dropped dramatically fro season 10, and the only real change in season 10 was Vala.
    Secondly, just after the show was cancelled, the ratings for the 200th episode came in (which saw the return of RDA) and the ratings had shot up 36 percent which was the highest of the season so far.
    Ixoy wrote:
    Yes, the quality isn't quite up as high as maybe the S4 days or so, but I still think it's there and as "200" and "The Pegasus Project" showed, there's still bright sparks in there. That's why I DON'T want it to go yet and am saddened by this news.
    Hmmm...I'd agree with you that it shouldn't be cancelled if they can still write good episodes, but I have to say that with the good episodes have come alot of sub par episodes, particularly from season 6 onwards.
    I just wish it could end on the high it was on circa seasons 4 & 5, which didn't seem unlikely to me in season 9, though it did in season 8.

I really wish Sci Fi could have at least given an ultimatum, or more notice, so as to give time to get the show up to it's old standards and then go out in style. It feels like with Sci Fi's constant renewals, and smaller budgets, that the show has been dragged through the dirt, and just as it was wiping the dirt of it's face, they kick it out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Lord Oz wrote:
    I think this could be the first major show to suffer from downloads. I'd estimate at least 40,000 people a week download sg1 and atlantis, and those damn nielson ratings don't take this into account. Battlestar galactica could be next.

I loved s9 which I downloaded, I couldn't wait for each new epsiode. The ori storyline is brilliant in my opinion and really kept me wanting more. SGate's biggest problem is people hate to wait when episodes are already being aired in America.
    I also think atlantis has great potential it just needs time. The wraith rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Moe Lester

I loved s9 which I downloaded, I couldn't wait for each new epsiode. The ori storyline is brilliant in my opinion and really kept me wanting more. SGate's biggest problem is people hate to wait when episodes are already being aired in America.
    I also think atlantis has great potential it just needs time. The wraith rock.

I totalally agree with you here

i always loved stargate

greatest show on the tv if you ask me.

the story lines where not bad at all.

all the people here saying that it was getting worse and worse

well that just wrong

i dont know why but people here just have really really high expectations for the show.the show always was very very good and most people agree with that.

honestly the ori are the biggest threat going and i would really like to see them fight for another couple of season.

really though the show cnat end like this. not a chance

it will keep going.

this is proberly sci fis way to get the rating's up

really i dont see how people in other countries could affect the ratings if they download it.

sci fi even said

if the ratings are good for this season

they might renew the series after all.

so always have hope

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

OK there's a massive article on gateworld about it URL="http://www.gateworld.net/news/2006/08/mgm_considers_isg-1is_future.shtml"]link[/URL which gives far more detail including why a S11 on TV is going to be very difficult:
    Franchise owner MGM is exploring its options for Stargate SG-1 after its cancellation this week -- but SCI FI says TV isn't one of them.

"We don't look at Stargate SG-1 as a TV show, but a franchise," MGM spokesman Jeff Pryor told Multichannel News. "It is our intention to vigorously find a find way to extend the franchise."

Fans have speculated this week that that could mean an SG-1 feature film, TV movie, mini-series ... or even Season Eleven on another network. U.S. cable networks such as SpikeTV and G4 have been expanding their original and science fiction programming, and former SG-1 home Showtime may be open the series again following its five years of great success on basic cable.

But such a move may be out of the question, if SCI FI Channel has anything to say about it. "There is not going to be [an 11th season] on U.S. television," Stern told Multichannel flatly. "Our contract with MGM prohibits it."

"It's done a great job, rejuvenated with the additions of Ben [Browder], Claudia [Black] and Beau [Bridges], but we think we've come to the end of those stories," Stern said. "We really felt like it was the right time to segue out, for the show not to overstay its welcome."

Reruns of Stargate SG-1 will continue on SCI FI following the spring 2007 finale.

He added that the network "would look for opportunities for some or all of the members to appear on Atlantis." Whether SCI FI hopes to replace some Atlantis regulars with SG-1 regulars, or simply bring SG-1 cast members in for occasional guest appearances, is not known.

Meanwhile, cast member Michael Shanks ("Daniel Jackson") has been the first to comment publically on the cancellation, telling Michael Shanks Online, "Unfortunately, all good things must come to an end. But I look at it as the closing of a chapter, not the whole story."

Executive producer and series co-creator Brad Wright told TV Guide that his "dream is to take SG-1 back to the feature it began as" -- but, more realistically, the show may segue into TV movies and, eventually, a third television series. "There's absolutely no reason in the world there couldn't be and won't be another series that takes part in the Stargate universe," he said.

Wright said that the final episodes of SG-1's current season "should be a very satisfying end to the season, but not necessarily an end to SG-1 by any means."

SCI FI would be interested in more Stargate SG-1 "if MGM came to us for less," Stern said -- indicating that the licensing fee for the 10-year-old show may have played a significant role in the network's decision not to renew it. Stern was previously quoted as saying that the show's depressed summer ratings were not the (sole) reason for the decision.

But if U.S. television is not an option (apart from a mini-series or TV movie on SCI FI), what might MGM be considering?

Pryor told the Associated Press that MGM believes that "in this new media world there are many more opportunities to continue (the) franchise. We're exploring those possibilities." Some fans have speculated that MGM may hope to make Stargate SG-1's eleventh season the first show ever to be offered exclusively online. New episodes from the current season are now available for $1.99 each on iTunes.

Despite the show's lower ratings, nearly 2 million viewers still tune in to the venerable sci-fi hit. The show also airs to millions of viewers in 120 countries worldwide, earns the company extra money in U.S. syndication and on DVD, and supports fan conventions and a broad array of licensed merchanise.

"This is not the end of the 'Stargate' franchise," Pryor said. "This is just the end of (Stargate SG-1) airing on the SCI FI Channel."

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

SG1 went ages ago, this 'SG1' is/was basically a new show and not a very good one at that. I just couldn't maintain interest with the Farscape lot and the Ori replacing the Goa'uld. After 9 years TPTB finally succeeded in transforming it into a show that was entirely disconnected from the film, except for the big metal ring and the name. Generic sci-fi and not very interesting either.

Haven't watched Atlantis in a while but that's more down to not being arsed with TV scheduling. It was a fair bit better than SG1 last time I watched it and I plan on picking it up on DVD eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Darz0re

SG1 went ages ago, this 'SG1' is/was basically a new show and not a very good one at that. I just couldn't maintain interest with the Farscape lot and the Ori replacing the Goa'uld. After 9 years TPTB finally succeeded in transforming it into a show that was entirely disconnected from the film, except for the big metal ring and the name. Generic sci-fi and not very interesting either.

Totally agree with you
    read somewhere at the start of Season Nine they where going to rename it to Stargate Command which looking back seems to make a lot more sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

To coin a phrase from the madagascar penguins "well this sucks"

I doubht all the whinning in the world will make a difference to Sci Fi and co.
    I think the best we can hope for is a movie of some sort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

I think there is still great potential for the Stargate idea. Just look at Star Wars. It would have been expected that after Episode III, the franchise would have shut down, but it is still going as strong as ever. There should be some sort of "Expanded Universe" for Stargate. If they get SG Worlds and the Game Stargate: The Alliance, up and running, there could be hope yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Vulture

I'm glad in a way, if stargate kept going the way it's going it would be another simpsons. Dragging on to long with tired storylines and even more tired writers. This way it can become a sort of babylon 5 with crappy movies that bear no resembalance in either quality or content to the show that fathered them. If the show ended at season 5-6 it would have got a 9 out of 10 from me, at the moment is around 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

let me start by saying

:eek: :eek: :eek:
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

and then follow by saying

:(:(:(:(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

thedara wrote:
    Totally agree with you
    read somewhere at the start of Season Nine they where going to rename it to Stargate Command which looking back seems to make a lot more sense
    Apparently Sci-Fi vetoed the idea because they wanted the glory of having the longest running sci-fi show and changing the name would have destroyed that. Apparently..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Catsmokinpot

what about the possibility that they might end it with a feature long episode, or a big budget film?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A film with RDA would be good, ah memories of the original.
    It was great too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭Procrastinator

I know yous are all going to hate me for saying this but,
    Stargate SG over? Thank God

Its really the 2000's equivalent of 1970's cheese: stuff like Manimal, and knight rider etc...
    Any time I've watched, and I've really tried, I just end up feeling sorry for the actors, particurlalry Mcguiver, who's never really learned to act, despite the vast amount of TV practise he's had.

I also feel bad for the big black guy with the sticker on his forehead and, if memory serves, some kind of worm or something inside of him.
    It could be a really big tapeworm, but all he hadda do was eat some uncooked pork for that, not go to the opposite end of the galaxy through the stargate.

Also, didn't they do the sticker thing to death on Red Dwarf, with Rimmer and his hologram H?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

delta36 wrote:
    I think there is still great potential for the Stargate idea. Just look at Star Wars. It would have been expected that after Episode III, the franchise would have shut down, but it is still going as strong as ever. There should be some sort of "Expanded Universe" for Stargate.

This must have been how Stargate Atlantis was born.

I know yous are all going to hate me for saying this but,
    Stargate SG over? Thank God

Its really the 2000's equivalent of 1970's cheese: stuff like Manimal, and knight rider etc...
    Any time I've watched, and I've really tried, I just end up feeling sorry for the actors, particurlalry Mcguiver, who's never really learned to act, despite the vast amount of TV practise he's had.

I also feel bad for the big black guy with the sticker on his forehead and, if memory serves, some kind of worm or something inside of him.
    It could be a really big tapeworm, but all he hadda do was eat some uncooked pork for that, not go to the opposite end of the galaxy through the stargate.

Also, didn't they do the sticker thing to death on Red Dwarf, with Rimmer and his hologram H?

Why are you even commenting, to be fair if you never even watched stargate then your oppinion is totally irrelevent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No surprise . IMHO it has lost its way completely. Had it ended at Season 8 it would have been "so long we'll miss you". Whereas now regrettably it is just a sad mess. That said it was a very fine show in its day.

Advertisement