Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Site purchase subject to planning

Options
  • 21-08-2006 9:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

We are complete newcomers to this land buying lark so forgive stupid questions. We are hoping to buy a site subject to planning. If we are the successful bidders we intend to have a contract drawn up - question is - how long might it take in total to get from green field (which will need perculation tests, well drilling etc) to drawing of plans to possible granting of planning permission? Would appreciate any comments/ideas! Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

cavjaydee wrote:
    We are complete newcomers to this land buying lark so forgive stupid questions. We are hoping to buy a site subject to planning. If we are the successful bidders we intend to have a contract drawn up - question is - how long might it take in total to get from green field (which will need perculation tests, well drilling etc) to drawing of plans to possible granting of planning permission? Would appreciate any comments/ideas! Thanks
    A few questions:

Where is the proposed site. If its in a county with Proscribed planning rules (such as only a person born in the county or with parents living in the county is eligible to apply for planning permission and said property may not be sold for a 7 year period (this is Wicklow at present)) do you meet the rules.
    Are you applying for planning or is the current owner applying for the permission- and is that permission transferrable (it is not in all cases).

There are a lot of possible things that could hold up this. It took my parents 6 years in total from initial planning application to final permission to get permission for a small bungalow (in an area zoned residential)......

Swings and roundabouts- there are a lot of things that could possibly delay the application.

OPP is the norm for the sale of a site (Outline Planning Permission) this does not however always translate into a final permission though.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 hanorac

MY aunt has been selling 2 sites for a year, She's had 2 buyers but its the planning process which is dragging it out.
    Be very careful to find out what restrictions are in place, meet the planners and find out what you can build. We've had to wait 2 months for our engineer to come on site to do perc tests and site layout, he's too busy. The planner took an other month, previous to that. Architect was fairly quick. And still my planning isn't in yet and we had a site already.
    It's a slow process and i found the restrictions on what you can build to bo a bit of a pain.

Advertisement