Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

airpacks v kingspan

Options
  • 21-08-2006 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

plasterslabbing just started in my new house today and i went up tonight to see how its going. i saw that there was a delivery today of airpacks insulation for the roof even though i had told the builder that i wanted kingspan.

does anyone know if the insulation properties are the same as kingspan because if it is i dont want to say anything to the builder but if it is inferior to the kingspan i want to get it sorted before they start to put it up.

thanks
    Pauric

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

I wouldn't use Kingspan or the Airbag system for the roof.
    Its impossible to cut the Kingspan consistently accurate to fit in tight between the rafters without any airgaps.
    You need an airtight vacuum on both sides of the Airbag type insulation for it to work properly, this is impossible in practice.

Tell him to change it for Rockwool.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,406 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Isn't airpack just the same as kindspan, expanded polystyrene.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

I thought it was that thin foil low E insulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 pdeery

no its polysteirene alright. that white bubbly stuff( sorry for being too technical :D ). its a kind of concertina shape so you can squeeze it together slightly and place it between your joists and it will expand out to the sides of the joist which seems like a good idea to totally fill the gap but what i want to know is if the bubbly stuff has good thermal properties.

thanks
    P

Advertisement