Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend me a conroe motherboard

Options
  • 21-08-2006 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I plan to build myself an E6600 machine in the coming weeks but being an AMD head for the last 5 years or so, I've no idea what constitutes a good intel motherboard. Could someone make a recommendation please?

It will be for gaming, of course ;). Overclocking would be nice but not a high priority. Not bothered with SLI, but i'd pay a little bit extra for it if that's all the difference is. Also, I'll need a board that does not require flashing with a P4 chip to get it to work, my house is full of AMD's so I've no P4's I can use. I also would like onboard ethernet. Extra bells and whistles are welcome. Don't care about onboard sound.

I will be putting 2 gigs of RAM, a bunch of existing hard disks (IDE and SATA mixture), an audigy 2 zs and my PCI-E 6800GT into it. Will probably upgrade that in 6 months time.

In my AMD time I've used motherboards from Abit, Asus and MSI and found them all to be very good. They've all (bar one) been nforces of some variety. The one VIA one I had was crap.

Thanks folks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106563

this is the board i recommend but needs to be flashed... Doesnt support SLI but got highest perfromance out of an overclocked E6600 on andantech. (4.05 ghz :O)

The gigabet has come recommended I believe(DS3 here)

The DQ6 looks a nice model offering the quad core everything, but that's for you
    to go away and look at :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm happy with my dfi mobo, clocked well. pity its green. would have prefered black or red. Supports xfire. has onboard 7.1 sound (altho i use x-fi). Only thing i'm not impressed with is the position of the power connector, right above the 1st pci-e slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Looking at your sig just brought a thought to mind... Which is better, 965 or 975x chipsets? I understand with some 975 boards you need to flash them with a P4 before you can use conroe. Not an option for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

965 for anything up to E6600

975 for E6600 and beyond.

I'm looking for a motherboard for a E6600 too, but I can't find anything good under €200. Might just get the Abit 965 board.

Advertisement